• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Facial expressions video

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Can you guys follow this video at all?

I seem to by hypersensitive to facial expressions and body language rather than hypo-sensitive. Problem for me is that I don't know how to respond to that information. Like, I can follow a lot of what the two people are trying to indicate by their facial expressions. I just wouldn't know how I'm supposed to fit in, or how to communicate a response in return.

Of course, in this video, it's way over-dramatized.

I have no idea what they were trying to communicate. With their facial expressions. But I found myself, relating to that one guy. Who put handcuffs on and then pulled his pants down. At least until he started understanding everything toward the end.

unwritten-rules.jpg

Picked up a few of their indicators, the fellow with the large fake mustache seemed to assume something 'wrong' about the fellow who manacled himself. Then communicated to the female that she and he should do something to him.

The female disagreed, and the mustache man finally understood that he was in error. The pulling down of his pants was a comedic turn, to soften the stress of the intense focus that they all succumbed to. There were others things going on as well, seemed to me that was the theme.

The mustached man didn't trust the clean cut man, and the clean cut man was slightly fearful of him. The woman attempted to correct the misconception, before they went inside.

I picked up sarcastic non verbal communication. It is weird because there was a sense of knowing but at the same time, no knowing and if I were that woman and that man did that in front of me, I would go into surreal mode, due to utter confusion!

Mostly I pick up on negative facial expression and think that am I being too sensitive?

Problem for me is that I don't know how to respond to that information. Like, I can follow a lot of what the two people are trying to indicate by their facial expressions. I just wouldn't know how I'm supposed to fit in, or how to communicate a response in return.

This describes me so well!

They never say directly it. The video is joking about body language from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't get it. It's the same as watching a video of three people speaking gibberish in a hypothetical situation. The people in the video - their facial expressions made sense but the context didn't. Almost like if someone wrote: "Eye found a pear of genes but their two small; my ant said they were ate metres to long". See, the words individually make sense, but as a whole, it isn't cohesive. Same thing. The people were using actual faces you can use, but there was also verbal communication that was missing. Even NTs would need more information than just repeating the same facial expressions over and over again; they're not telepathic. But I see what you mean. He says 'yes' but he's shaking his head - he's saying he understands but he actually doesn't. It looks like the guy and the girl are in-the-know, but the third guy wasn't ever directly told what to do. At least, that's what I was picking up from it.

The thing is: body language can be very minute. But it's not math. Micro-expressions made for just a split second can convey true emotions. Although if you break down subtle body languages too much, you' just confuse yourself. That's like taking a leaf from a painting of a forest and asking yourself what the painting is of before you've seen the painting.

New Threads

Top Bottom