• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive Functioning Issues

wanderer03

I'm looking for strategies and advice for overcoming difficulties with executive functioning. By executive functioning, I mean financial matters like budgeting, keeping a balanced checkbook, planning, etc. I need something really simple because these matters tend to be meltdown triggers for me. This is also a source of embarrassment for me because I can do some really high end stuff with electronics and radio, yet seemingly basic executive functioning feels like the impossible task.

I feel the need to build this skillset as I am rapidly watching full time jobs turn into independent contractor positions. I fear the relative simplicity of having a paycheck that I can count on might be going away.

I'm looking for strategies and advice for overcoming difficulties with executive functioning. By executive functioning, I mean financial matters like budgeting, keeping a balanced checkbook, planning, etc. I need something really simple because these matters tend to be meltdown triggers for me. This is also a source of embarrassment for me because I can do some really high end stuff with electronics and radio, yet seemingly basic executive functioning feels like the impossible task.

I feel the need to build this skillset as I am rapidly watching full time jobs turn into independent contractor positions. I fear the relative simplicity of having a paycheck that I can count on might be going away.
You can have your paychecks electronically deposited and bills paid automatically( the budgeted amount for each MONTHLY bill. I wish we had this technology when I owned my salon. I have same problem.

The calendar in Microsoft Outlook is good. Put any needed due dates, etc. in and set reminders, and it will remind you monthly, yearly, or however you set it up. Reminders stay on the list until you cancel them. The Iphone calendar is ok also, but not real good with reminders.
Always round your bills up to the next 50 higher. If a recurring bill is 37.50 pay 50. If it's 60, pay 100. Always pay that higher amount until you are several months ahead. Helps with balancing the checkbook also because the numbers are all whole. I realize this may be difficult with limited income.

The calendar in Microsoft Outlook is good. Put any needed due dates, etc. in and set reminders, and it will remind you monthly, yearly, or however you set it up. Reminders stay on the list until you cancel them. The Iphone calendar is ok also, but not real good with reminders.
Always round your bills up to the next 50 higher. If a recurring bill is 37.50 pay 50. If it's 60, pay 100. Always pay that higher amount until you are several months ahead. Helps with balancing the checkbook also because the numbers are all whole. I realize this may be difficult with limited income.
That's kind of interesting. I never really thought to overpay a bill.

I have huge, ginormous, colossal, gargantuan obnoxiously massive calendar :eek: ...right in the middle of my kitchen wall! It's okay, I live by myself. :) I write in the squares with a thick, dark magic marker-- not a wimpy pen.
Each morning, I can't help but see that I have a few appointments that day.
If something is every week (like swimming on Fridays and Sangha on Wednesdays) I write that in every Friday and Wednesday for the whole month, so I can see it.

Having another such calendar hanging on the wall right by your door to see as you dash out, is good, too.

Hope this helps!

I am sorry I have no ideas for you, I am exactly like you. I understand high end concepts and can even teach them but I cannot manage basic life skills. I have my monthly expenses taken directly from my checking account because I cannot remember to pay them. Once the electric company sent me a notice saying I was about to lose service for months of lack of payment. I had the money I simply forgot. That is when I went to all automatic payments. It isn't a solution I like but it seems the best one for me.

If you do find some solutions, I hope you will post about them. I would like it very much if I could be better.

I have huge, ginormous, colossal, gargantuan obnoxiously massive calendar :eek: ...right in the middle of my kitchen wall! It's okay, I live by myself. :) I write in the squares with a thick, dark magic marker-- not a wimpy pen.
Each morning, I can't help but see that I have a few appointments that day.
If something is every week (like swimming on Fridays and Sangha on Wednesdays) I write that in every Friday and Wednesday for the whole month, so I can see it.

Having another such calendar hanging on the wall right by your door to see as you dash out, is good, too.

Hope this helps!

Why are we like this! It is so frustrating. I do something similar with my calendar. But I also have my electronic calendar send me email reminders and I put Post-It notes around my home and I still forget important things. What is wrong with me? I have formulas and coefficients in my head, I know complicated acronyms, heck I've had dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) memorized since I was 9 years old. But I can't manage a checkbook, remember if I've eaten breakfast or know the day of the week or even time of the year. So frustrating.

Last edited:
I need a whole lot more than that, lol. I'm pretty hopeless. Alarms and reminders are critical I guess.

Yes- they are. My calendar and what I write in it is my first- and last line of defense. ;)

And on occasion, an alarm clock I use when I must wake up on Eastern Standard Time.

You have to commit to a certain nominal degree of self-discipline. No way around that. Regardless of the degree of your executive functioning, you have to be committed to trying to maintain whatever level you actually have. Otherwise no matter how much or how little executive functioning you may have probably won't matter.

Last edited:
Why are we like this! It is so frustrating. I do something similar with my calendar. But I also have my electronic calendar send me email reminders and I put Post-It notes around my home and I still forget important things. What is wrong with me? I have formulas and coefficients in my head, I know complicated acronyms, heck I've had dimethyl sulfide (DMSO) memorized since I was 9 years old. But I can't manage a checkbook, remember if I've eaten breakfast on know the day of the week or even time of the year. So frustrating.
I see that you share my frustration. I'm kind of over the frustration and now looking for concrete ways to overcome this. I'll share back some. I'm going to have this convo with my therapist.

Grommet, we have executive functioning challenges. It's got nothing to do with intelligence!
It has more to do with a combination of dyspraxia (in short, this means our bodies don't always work the way we want them to, we're a bit clumsy/awkward, and our thoughts can become disorganized) and awareness/attention challenges.

Executive functioning can affect us a lil' bit (whoops... forgot my lunchbox today!), a lot (forgot my doc appointment!), or a WHOLE lot ( I forget what I am doing, as I was doing it-- so using a hot stove or sharp knife is risky).
We have different levels of ability to "pay attention" (awareness challenges) than others.

Executive functioning entails 1. conceptualizing what we need to do, 2. planning what we need to do, 3. initiating what we need to do, and 4. remaining aware enough to self-monitor during the task. and bonus: 5. Sometimes we fog out and wander off during tasks. Awareness challenges are tough.

I have these, called Picture Schedules or Visual Schedules, to help me get through my day.

Though with my visual schedule, it has stuff like go potty, drink water, eat, etc.

And there's visual schedules that break things down comfortably for self-care tasks too, like...

and one hangs in my shower, with the steps of showering. :)

Right by my apartment door, I have a visual schedule showing keys, backpack, potty, jacket, pants, snack, and coins for the bus.

You can also have low-tech, take-with-you visual schedules for stuff when you are on the go!

Having a big calendar I can write appointments in the squares with bold magic marker helps.

Mostly, the visual schedules really help me feel grounded and calm. :cool:

Best of luck, I hope this helps! :)

That's smart. I usually round them up to nearest $1.( 57>60). I figure, if you're behind, I'd start with averages. companies are cool if they are receiving steady money. About $60 for each util, etc... Then catch up when can ... Then I could average them up higher.

I wish wanderer03 were driving my paratransit bus. Minimal greeting, just being quiet and happy together on the ride. :)
Aspies & Auties sure are cool.

Most people won't pay a bill till it's due, and why would you give them a penny more than what's due? I look at it as a no cost (because you will get your money back) insurance policy against late fees, (because I didn't pay the bill on time, or forgot to mail it) future unknowns, and also a buffer for unscheduled bills.
I like to stay 3 to 6 months ahead. You never know what's going to happen job wise, or health wise. For peace of mind I want my bills paid ahead so I don't have to worry about them for awhile when something does happen.

I'd be lost without my large desk calendar; the old school type with large squares to write in. That way when I make a phone call to schedule something, it is right in front of me and I can write it there. I have another wall calendar in the kitchen that I write things on so that I have at least two points of reference. I also keep a spiral bound notebook handy for jotting down things so that the calendar pages don't get too crowded. I trained myself not to use bits of paper but to always write in the notebook; that way I didn't have to go searching frantically for a scrap of paper I'd written something important on. I don't use a lot of technology like others do here, but it works for me!

I don't know where you live but where I live (New Jersey, USA) when you turn 21 you can apply to the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDD). I am getting a mentor through them who will be able to help me with things. I believe there are similar services in all US states, they are just called something different.

I don't know where you live but where I live (New Jersey, USA) when you turn 21 you can apply to the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDD). I am getting a mentor through them who will be able to help me with things. I believe there are similar services in all US states, they are just called something different.

I've applied to a program in PA called the Autism Waiver which offers assistance but the backlog of applications is almost 5 years and the budget uncertain. PA is not really a disability-friendly state. It is also is very unsure of whether it wants to be a conservative or progressive state so attitudes about disability tend to be schizophrenic. I'm not so willing to wait for this to happen as I really want to become better at executive functioning.

New Threads

Top Bottom