• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Even ABAers see how bad it is

Ylva

V.I.P Member
Why I Left ABA | Socially Anxious Advocate

I guess they actually brainwash themselves, but it's not much of an excuse given how blatant Lovaas was about being a lousy person and completely unethical.

If you tried it as an adult, keep in mind that you were an adult and they likely wouldn't have treated you the way they treat children.

Thanks for posting this. I'm planning on going into psychology myself, and it's really good not only to learn about the various therapies and politics surrounding them, but to gain insight from those who have experienced ABA and hear what parents are being told to convince them to support ABA.

I think in the end it's up to a therapist to decide how to apply ABA and other type of therapy. She can say whatever she wants but it's not written in stone. Many therapists nowdays recognize the needs of a person with Autism. They understand that there're comorbid conditions (like SPD) that have to be addressed as well, etc. I'm not in a good mood today so I can allow myself to be critical, otherwise I would just ignore it :) If you are a therapist, stop complaining and offer a better solution.

Um, epath, that post reads like it belongs in the commentary section on one of the articles.

I'm not sure what you mean, Ylva, and, I'm sorry, if my comment offended you in any way, but I am so tired of hearing people complaining without offering solutions. I know I can be guilty of such complaining myself, but I consider it as an emotional rant, that serves only one purpose: to relieve personal anxiety, not to make a difference. I'm also tired of seeing in social media tons of support, or an ocean of drama around complainers, and almost nobody around people who actually offer solutions. It seems that the only way solutionists can get attention is to create drama around their ideas. I understand it's in human nature to respond to emotions 1st, but sometimes I get sick of this natural human trait...
And again, I hope my post is not being misinterpreted. I'm not supporting anything but clear-cut solutions and open-mindedness.

Solution: Stop ABAing people. Stop dog-training children. I think it's quite heavily implied.

Pro-tip: if you want clarity, don't play pronoun games. («"She" can say what "she" wants… if "you" are a therapist…»)

Does it matter to you that what you just did was complain?

Again I'm sorry about upsetting you. In the future I will try to check and recheck my grammar, even though in most cases after going through posts over and over I still don't notice mistakes. I'm still learning how to express myself clearly, but it can still be very challenging. In the future I will refrain from posting on emotionally charged threads (like this one). I have no further comments on this post.

New Threads

Top Bottom