• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ego

AustinTheAspie

Just Another Member
Hey everyone, you know who it is. Got a question: How does one COMPLETELY shatter their ego? My ego is getting out of control, and I want to get rid of it completely and have an ego death experience, whether it's through drugs, meditation, ANYTHING. Because I honestly think my ego will get me killed or my ass kicked one day if I don't start now. Any tips are welcome. This is very important.

@AustinTheAspie

Before I could say anything useful, I'd need to know your
definition of "ego." What does that mean to you?

And then, what difficulties is that construct setting up in your life?

@AustinTheAspie

Before I could say anything useful, I'd need to know your
definition of "ego." What does that mean to you?

And then, what difficulties is that construct setting up in your life?
Well, tree, I would say that I'm a very self-important person. It's ALWAYS got to be about me, no matter what. When I want something, I want it now. Sounds childish, I know, but I'm still this way at 22 years of age. You could say that I'm the male version of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I need to change this crap, because I absolutely hate this about myself, and it seems to me that the only way that I'm going to change is either by having some sort of crazy hallucinogenic experience, or by getting this self-importance beaten out of me. What do you think?

Start doing some thing for someone else, like mentoring or volunteering - you need to get beyond your own skin.

@AustinTheAspie
"...the only way that I'm going to change is either by having some sort of crazy hallucinogenic experience, or by getting this self-importance beaten out of me. What do you think?"

I think those are two possibilities, not necessarily the most effective, however.

Both of those approaches are very self-directed but neither of them deals
with the matter in a way that actually places any responsibility for the
change on you. They are examples of change being imposed from without.

Consider the prospect that you have ability to control and change your own
feelings. Infantile behavior is appropriate for infants, but with effort a person
can develop beyond that stage.

New Threads

Top Bottom