• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving skills and etiquette: Obsessing with order

i'm a better passenger than driver. I keep my driving to a minimum and try to find the quickest most direct path between point A and B, as possible. when I can get away with it, I speed and cut corners.

I try to follow the rules of the road exactly. I never go more than 1 or 2 MPH above the speed limit, but I also think it is inconsiderate of other drivers if I drive at a slower speed. So early on I taught myself to maintain my speed at exactly the speed limit. (I learned to drive at a constant speed by making the car's movement feel the same way as it did on cruise control.) I also follow the rules of the road when I am on my bicycle, stopping at every stop sign and red light. The trouble is that I lose my temper with other drivers (and bicyclists) who break the rules, especially if they infringe on my right of way or if I feel that they are pressuring me to go faster by following too close.

I much prefer driving over being a passenger. When I am riding with another driver I get nervous about speeding and following cars more closely than I would. Being the driver also means I can choose the radio station--always the classical music station, which helps calm my nerves.

How organized or respectful of the law are you while driving? I ask because well I tend to be a little strict with laws and driving etiquette. Even when I live in a country full of terrible drivers and roads I try to follow order, my cousins american husband even said he doesn't like to drive here because all drivers are crazy.

Well, I got my license at 19yo and I'm now 26, never had a parking ticket nor an accident (touch wood) I try to respect speed limits and yellow lines, I have even spent 20min looking for a parking spot in order to avoid parking in fron of a yellow line. When I finally get a free spot I like to park the most centered way possible.

So what about you?
Im pretty organized and respectful of the different driving laws i go only 5 over the speed limit. And it takes skill and practice to become a actual driver. there are also operators who arent drivers they just know how to operate a vehicle. I got my license at 16yo and i'm now 25. I have 2 tickets so far and bolth are minor 1st one was coming back to puyallup when i got off the narrows bridge i forgot that your suppose to have 2 people if your driving in the carpool lane and i was by myself so i got a ticket. 2nd time i was on the freeway over to meet my aunt carla at her work in lakewood and i got a 8 or 10mph over the speed limit ticket. and 1 day coming back from work i was driving on the highway going like 1-3mph and i lightly rear ended the vehicle in front of me but it was so light we ended up not doing anything about it :)

I drive, but have never felt comfortable doing it.. Far too anxious until I have had chance to become very familiar with a route. Never got in trouble or got in an accident, but always expecting it. Can't drive on the motorway - to quick/too much to process - its absolutely terrifying as a passenger, so I couldn't conceive of driving on the motorway...

I've heard it can be unkind to tell someone they shouldn't be driving (on a public road) under any conditions, as opposed to telling them that they shouldn't be driving in the commercial or for-hire segment.
But there are a lot of men without autism who would say things like that - such as motor enthusiasts, railfans, aviation fanatics, etc.

Nitro, love the quote and the video.(needed a cigarette after it)
Im not a good passenger, unless I really trust you or I'm very stoned.

I have 2 driving modes, daytime and nighttime. I deliver newspapers at night. I run red lights, stop signs, go the wrong way on one way streets, speed, drive on the wrong side of the road.... got pulled over for running 3 stop signs, speeding and driving on the wrong side of the road. Got off with a warning!.

Daytime mode is pretty much by the book. Also depends on which vehicle I'm in tho too. My truck is underpowered, 1 of my VW's is pretty much a street legal race car, another VW is going to be a rallie racer and yet another VW is being restored to be a rocket.

I can drive anything with wheels and some things without......

I have 2 driving modes, daytime and nighttime. I deliver newspapers at night. I run red lights, stop signs, go the wrong way on one way streets, speed, drive on the wrong side of the road.... got pulled over for running 3 stop signs, speeding and driving on the wrong side of the road. Got off with a warning!.

Do you wish that at least some traffic lights were turned off at night?

Motorists who always obey these rules, even if not autistic, might not understand why people like you do these things.

Daytime mode is pretty much by the book. Also depends on which vehicle I'm in tho too. My truck is underpowered, 1 of my VW's is pretty much a street legal race car, another VW is going to be a rallie racer and yet another VW is being restored to be a rocket.

No comment.

I can drive anything with wheels and some things without......

What does this mean?

flynn_gabriel, there is a fine line between 'bending the rules a little' (driving 10-15 mph over speed limit to keep up with traffic flow, rolling through a stop sign with no one around, ect.) and being a totally reckless idiot on the road (blowing red lights, driving on wrong side of roads). You sir, are definitely an idiot. Getting pulled over for all of that should have given you a clue.

Yes, I would love some of the lights turned off at night. That's why I run lights,(i do come to a stop, look, then proceed.) They take too long to change at night. And there not light sensitive, so flashing my lights doesn't help. Time is money. I get a flat fee to deliver newspapers.
Ive driven lots of vehicles, big rigs, tanks, boats, jet boats, hovercraft, flown a plane(in mid air, not landing or taking off).

Destinyz12, I understand what you are saying, HOWEVER, I am paid a flat fee. Faster I get it done, more I make. I live in a town that has approximately 60k people. There are very few people on he road when I am. Cabbies, cops, druggies, and the occasional other people. I pay close attention to what is going on around me. I have never hit anyone, hit anything, not even so much as a close call. Its all about calculated risk. That's something I'm very good at.

Last edited:
flynn_gabriel, there is a fine line between 'bending the rules a little' (driving 10-15 mph over speed limit to keep up with traffic flow, rolling through a stop sign with no one around, ect.) and being a totally reckless idi*t on the road (blowing red lights, driving on wrong side of roads). You sir, are definitely an idi*t. Getting pulled over for all of that should have given you a clue.

There is a forum policy against 'name-calling.'

When a person resorts to name-calling, they have
in that moment abandoned logic in favor of an
exaggerated expression of their feelings.

Can you express your thoughts/feelings on this
topic while refraining from name-calling?

I'm a very good driver and people not following driving laws is definitely something gets me upset. Even small infractions.

I don't know if people where I live are becoming worse drivers or I'm thinking too much about it, well, the crashes/ death statistics from the goverment show an increase in death so far this year.

This week I've had to drive to the city on rush hour and good lord, it is a pain in the ass to drive here, people parking all over yellow lines, disrespecting red/yellow lights, this is crazy. This things makes me remember an american husband from a cousin, he says he doesn't like to drive here because we drive like crazy and I don't blame him.

We have a train system in the central part of the country, capital city and surrounds, at least every week someone crashes the train, luckily the train goes relatively slow, maybe 50kph but it is insane, sometimes 2 crashes in less than 24h and even with protection/warning systems people crashes anyway. Motorbike' users and deaths are rising, many of them young and today a guy whom apparently was waaayy over the speed limit crashed against a car which was outside the road...well the metal barrier caught him and that was all for him.

Last week a weekly tv magazine talked about the educational driver system and how bad is it here and well, you can pass the theoric test with onlyreading the official book a couple of times, I did it back when I solicited the driver's license but when I started to learn in real life my father was very strict on teach me.

I love driving, even in the big city, especially on empty roads on the prairies, always have... I'm pretty much by the book and I'll hold my ground, even when the idiot Dodge full-size pickup tailgated me halfway to work this morning... And I'm just driving a little car... And as a Canadian where 99% of people drive automatics, I love my stick shift, it doesn't feel like work to me...

I prefer to ride as a passenger, but I don't mind driving. I've been in a couple accidents but none of them were with another vehicle. My depth perception is trash and the result is high pointing my car on an ice bank when trying to pull into a parking lot and putting my car into a few ditches trying to pull out of parking lots. All during the winter so the ditches and parking lots are snow covered. I recently bought a four wheel drive truck so it makes the ditches a little easier to get out of. Already went into a ditch this winter and was able to pull right out with no damage to the truck at all. I have problems with speed too, I don't normally notice until I look at my speedometer and have to slow down. Only time I was pulled over was because I didn't have my lights on at 2am. I was in a really well lit area and didn't notice my lights until I was being pulled over. Officer was super nice and let me off with a verbal warning.

New Threads

Top Bottom