• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Helloo my name is Liz.Ive only just recently found out what aspergers is.My last therapist mentioned it but I just kind of shut it down and she gave me an agoraphobia diagnosis.But after thoroughly researching aspergers I can confidently say I definitely have it.Basically my entire life has just been one obsessive and impulse world.Im basically just on here to make friends and talk to people who know what I'm going through

Hi everyone. I'm not on the spectrum, but my boyfriend has Asperger's, and living together, while it's awesome most days, can be quite a trial on others. I can always use some more info or insight into how to help him, me, and our relationship out.

Hi everybody,
My 7yo child is on the autism spectrum. He's the only one on the family on the spectrum and, as times passes, I realize even more that in order to be a better father I need to better understand what he's going through, I need to get more familiar with his own world and way of experiencing things. Hopefully the discussions going on here can help with that.

50ish female, diagnosed as autistic around 10 years ago but received no advice or counsel.

Just reading everyones different posts...

kinda feels like l suddenly belong somewhere in life after all..

I'm new here, was diagnosed with HFA recently, and was interested in reading more about it. My favorite teams are the Sharks, Kings, Giants, 49ers, AZ Cardinals, AZ Wildcats, Germany and US soccer.

Hi My names Susan thanks for having me, I am living with someone special to me who has AS and I am trying to get a better understanding of this. I read some posts already and wish to reply. cheers

Hello. I am 18 years old and was officialy diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers as a child, and I wanted to join this forum because i'm going to college away from my family in 2 days, and I can't shake the building anxiety. I've had no social interaction away from my family for a very long time, as I drifted away from my few friends in awkward fashion, and i'm afraid i'll just hole up in my room and never approach my peers first chance I get. I'm not terribly attracted to socializing, but I'm afraid of how lonely i'll be with nobody to talk to.

Hi. I'm 51, and I've never been diagnosed. I don't think I need to be. I have all the classic behaviors of AS. The good thing is that I've come up with some creative ways to cope in a world of neurotypicals. I'm perfectly happy doing my own thing in my own home and running my online business. I have a patient, loving hubby and an amazing grown daughter. She also has AS or is HFA. Her behaviors are much more pronounced than mine. But because I understand them and her feelings, her inability to process emotions, her sensory integration disorder, we've connected in a way that would be extremely difficult for an average person. I've been able to help her with her issues because I've been through many of them myself. She doesn't hate herself anymore, and she doesn't wish she were someone she's not. She loves and accepts herself, and that's something every parent wants for their kids. I guess if my AS makes it easier for my daughter to cope, I'm okay with it. I sort of see it as one of my life's goals.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum, and I'm looking forward to reading others' experiences with AS.

Hi my name is Sharon, I'm here because I've fallen for an Aspie who's now gone silent on me and I've no idea why. Am hoping I can gain some insight and figure out if it's just because of his AS or because he just doesn't like me. Wish me luck!

Hello! I'm Kris, 43, in the US. I've done the self-diagnose tests and received all the "very high likelihood" results. Reading over the various symptoms and experiences of others, it does seem pretty likely, so I thought I'd join and get some other perspectives.

Hi, my name is Rebecca. I am 66 and I've spent my entire life seeking help for my social awkwardness, anxiety and general fear of everything outside my door. As you can imagine they pasted lots of labels on me and filled me full of lots of drugs that helped just enough to keep me taking them for years, but did not really solve the root problems. Several years ago, a professional suggested that my son was on the autism spectrum which seemed odd considering he has a 150+ IQ, but he's had problems from earliest childhood that no one could diagnose either, so, being a skilled researcher, I dug in. It took me several years to go through enough material to be sure I understood it all, but when I did, I understood that most of my family has all, or at least some, of the symptoms of ASDs. I worked with a therapist for about 6 months and we came to the agreement that probably all of us have what was classically considered Asperger's Syndrome. But there was more. we all had PTSD diagnoses as well, and as I dug into that research, I understood why all of were suffering so. Chronic stress damages the brain, actually rewiring parts of it, making us susceptible further stress injury because the brain cannot stop pumping out stress hormones, which damages the entire body, as well as the brain, and frequently, in my family, causes our brains to just go on vacation for a while.

I became totally and permanently disabled 15 years ago from this damage, and am now working hard to get help for the next generation of my family. I suspect that the stress of not being able to understand the world around us is the cause of the initial injury. I was in my 30s before I actually started to comprehend what was going on with other people, and how these relationship things worked, but I can recall how frightened and anxious I was about everything as far as back as I have memories. If you combine the genetic components of Asperger's and the stress of the autistic characteristics it seems to tie everything up in a pretty neat package. I'd like to know what others think about this.

Hi, my name is Rebecca. I am 66 and I've spent my entire life seeking help for my social awkwardness, anxiety and general fear of everything outside my door. As you can imagine they pasted lots of labels on me and filled me full of lots of drugs that helped just enough to keep me taking them for years, but did not really solve the root problems. Several years ago, a professional suggested that my son was on the autism spectrum which seemed odd considering he has a 150+ IQ, but he's had problems from earliest childhood that no one could diagnose either, so, being a skilled researcher, I dug in. It took me several years to go through enough material to be sure I understood it all, but when I did, I understood that most of my family has all, or at least some, of the symptoms of ASDs. I worked with a therapist for about 6 months and we came to the agreement that probably all of us have what was classically considered Asperger's Syndrome. But there was more. we all had PTSD diagnoses as well, and as I dug into that research, I understood why all of were suffering so. Chronic stress damages the brain, actually rewiring parts of it, making us susceptible further stress injury because the brain cannot stop pumping out stress hormones, which damages the entire body, as well as the brain, and frequently, in my family, causes our brains to just go on vacation for a while.

I became totally and permanently disabled 15 years ago from this damage, and am now working hard to get help for the next generation of my family. I suspect that the stress of not being able to understand the world around us is the cause of the initial injury. I was in my 30s before I actually started to comprehend what was going on with other people, and how these relationship things worked, but I can recall how frightened and anxious I was about everything as far as back as I have memories. If you combine the genetic components of Asperger's and the stress of the autistic characteristics it seems to tie everything up in a pretty neat package. I'd like to know what others think about this.
Same I asyou Started taking antidepressants 13 years ago knew nothing about a Asperger syndrome now I think every body in my family has it apart from One older member I was diagnosed 19 months ago
Welcome to AC

That is such a long and difficult road, but I'm glad you finally reached this point. Welcome to the community, hope from now things will be better for you and less confusion.

Love the quote causes our brains to go on vacation for a while never heard that it tickled me

New Threads

Top Bottom