• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

newgirl

Hey guys,
I just was diagnosed with Aspergers which has got me thinking if people around me have it also. I have a friend who's a few years older than me, who I got to know through orchestra rehearsals and I think he might have Aspergers. He's currently at uni, studying a mixture of maths and chemistry, and occasionally helps me out with both subjects. When I first properly met him was when he looked over some work of mine - he seemed a bit intense and unlike most people, I could barely get him to open up, laugh or even smile. Also, lately I've noticed how 'into' equations he gets - like he finds joy/slightly smiles as he's figuring them out, and how when I say things, he presses for me to specify them - a thing that I've only ever noticed in myself. Lastly, he's a really good looking guy, so good looking that I'm actually in awe of how he's single.
Oh and another thing; it's hard to start conversations with him. He'll ask the obvious prompting questions (e.g. how are you, how was it), but unlike with other people, the conversation will rarely flow.
So yeah, what are your thoughts?

Very possible. I'm the same way when it comes to barely laughing or smiling, and my conversations in real life are sometimes very awkward with no flow, but I'm getting better at it. I find that I can communicate better via text then I can in real life, which is odd.

I've read somewhere that part of the brain used for speech is quite different from that we use to write.
indeed-ive read this to, i was non verbal until late adulthood but was able to type some small words [though not for communicative reasons] since 5 years old, and years later it became my speaking device,and i was blogging about my disability experiences for years before i grasped interaction and communicative speech and became verbal.

yes it sounds likely. writing is much easier for aspies since we do not have to rely on facial expressions and other social cues as with face to face conversations. also there are different neuro pathways for each and the verbal is typical inhibited in aspies.

New Threads

Top Bottom