• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else think of themselves in third person and in past tense?

Uhura

For example instead of thinking that I need to go shopping, I have a tendency to think 'she went to the store and this happened' when in reality I haven't even gone yet.

Sad thing is when including emotions I usually include the negative ones. Then I mentally rephrase it so I am handling a situation better. Weird since I am really making things up that don't happen.

It's not like schizophrenic. It's just mentally thinking in third person and being aware of what I am thinking. I think there is a post asking if anyone else thought in terms of 'voices' but not schizphrenic. Just words or voices someone did recently.

You narrate your life? That's pretty neat. I thought at first you meant dividing yourself into agents. Past tense narrations are more comfortable than present tense ones.

Could just mean that you read a lot of books and have internalised the style?

I sometimes feel like my life is a novel and nothing has the least importance. But it's frightening.

Yes I have an 'inner narrator'. Sometimes it's first person but in the style of a novel or memoir, sometimes third person. I think it helps me get distance on things.

I do this a lot. And if I remember a bad time, like a glimpse of a meltdown, I always see what happened as if I am up by the ceiling looking down at myself.

I do think of myself in present time (as 'she does that').
I analyzed this tendency of mine and I noticed that I always keep in mind some person respected by me, whose opinion I value. So it seems like I'm trying to imagine myself from outside as through this important (for me) person's eyes.
In a way it's like mental multiple 'repetitions' of important talks I have to do soon, or endless inner monologues (of explanations of my intentions and behaviour) with someone who matters for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom