• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else play songs in their head (purposefully)?

Yeah, I do this. Most of the time it's voluntary, and, unlike my NT friends, I do actually remember the instruments, drum beats and lyrics. They think it's weird, but now... maybe it's just aspie? IDK. Most of the time I sing it out though, I'll try and keep it in my head and I'll find myself humming and grooving in the middle of an assessment. It's...
a bit embarrassing.

You mean to say that N.T.'s <i>don't</i> remember the whole song? I thought the ability to do this was just natural, something that everyone could do.

Not on purpose, no. Usually when that happens I find it very irritating. Sometimes I have to "finish" the song though before I can carry on with whatever I was doing before it started - usually it starts again a few seconds later. Argh!

EDIT: It's annoying when I can't remember the whole song. Then I can't finish it. Or those songs where one bit leads into another bit which leads back into the first bit which leads back into the second bit and so on, then I get stuck in a loop and am usually unable to finish it properly.

Does anyone else do this?...

I might play a few songs in my head when I'm on the train or something.

I have around seven songs that I know every part of -- words and music. I sometimes "listen" to them when I'm having trouble sleeping. I ALWAYS listen to them in situation where I need to remain quiet and still, such as while having an MRI done. Having a playlist in your memory that you can turn on at will is really enjoyable. =)

Then... there are songs that I don't like which randomly start playing in my head on repeat, usually not the entire song, only one section of verses and the chorus. I hate when that happens, especially if I'm in a situation which doesn't permit me to turn on music I do like to purge the unwanted sound.

I don't do it quite like the OP, but sometimes when I'm listening to music and have to stop soon, I set the last song as something I want to have stuck in my head.
I get songs stuck in my head very easily. :p I'm not sure I know what it's like to NOT have one stuck.

Yes a lot of the time I am aware that I do.

If I don't have my iPod with me, I mean, on the bus for example I will mouth the words to favourite songs, mimic the drumming or the piano, that kind of thing, wow you just want to burst into song sometimes but you mustn't must you. :D

Yes, I have a constant radio in my head. I also like to 'pick apart' music. I see all of the sounds in images/textures, so if I'm bored waiting around somewhere then I will watch/listen to a song and try to split up all the individual instruments by the sounds/images they create. A bit like undoing a jigsaw puzzle.

Yes. I play songs in my head....my "mind's ear".

Although I think that songs just sort of happen in my head as often or more often than I deliberately focus on thinking them.

However, I also sort of change the equalizer settings in my brain to emphasize/focus more on different parts/instruments.....that part is deliberate.

Yeah, my senses get a bit 'mashed up' at times. It's not the useful synesthesia though (I don't get coloured numbers which would be helpful!). Just sounds-images-textures. I very occasionally get it with other senses if I'm stressed or tired, but music is the very obvious one. I'd be interested to know if anyone else here gets it? I've seen a couple of artists that paint music and it's always interesting to find out what others see when they hear certain sounds.

Replaying songs in your head on purpose, yes, to pass the time or try altering my mood. Moods have been tricky lately and this is one of the things I use to cope during downtime.

I also do it to try to figure a song out, both how it was recorded and how the writer/arranger created it in the first place.

the closest I get to synesthesia, is that I "see" people's faces in [analog] clock faces, depending on the juxtaposition of the minute/hour hands. strange...

That's cool. I think there's loads of different types and it seems to be one of those things that's regularly linked to autism.

^^^I suppose if I really want the full experience of seeing sounds and hearing lights, i'll have to drop a tab or two.

Is this really another characteristic of being on the spectrum????? YES.... when I listen to music I'm almost "recording" it... I could not write a composition of the notes but it is almost like listening to the actual recording. Sometimes it plays, and plays, over and over... a bit annoying at times and I have to consciously turn it off... usually only to find a few minutes later... another song is playing.. It is not constant but often.

If I hear a song enough times, I can sometimes figure out how to play it on a keyboard. Sometimes the key isn't right, but I can figure that out quick enough.

If I hear a song enough times, I can sometimes figure out how to play it on a keyboard. Sometimes the key isn't right, but I can figure that out quick enough.

I'm like that as well, I can't read music, but if I listen to say, a TV theme tune enough times, I can play it kind of "by ear" on my keyboard.

For example I can play most of the following:

Crossroads theme tune
Dallas theme
Dynasty theme
Home and Away theme song (original late 80's/early 90's version)
Neighbours theme (old version from mid to late 80's)
Original Battle Star Galactica theme
Star Trek (including TNG, DS9 and Voyager)
Star Wars
Star Wars Cantina Band (from Episode IV)

I can also play "10 Green Bottles", as the theme from the third level of the original Lemmings, and the music from the Game Boy versions of Lemmings and Tetris.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom