• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anxiety give you hallucinations?

Kit

My sun roof on my car needs to be fixed and because I can't take it in until after Tuesday and I have no place to put my car in, no garage or nothing. I have been having a lot of anxiety because of the rain we had been having. Luckily for the past two days my anxiety has been better because it hasn't been raining in the day time so I have a break from my anxiety. I keep trash bags or a plastic tablecloth over my sun roof instead and it has been helping because the headboard isn't damp. At least we know now it's the sun roof if the plastic has been helping. Thank goodness it hasn't been windy.

But the hallucination part, I have felt actual water dripping on me while I would be driving it. I was actually feeling it though I wouldn't see any drips or any wet spots above me and I would feel them and still wouldn't feel any. Does anyone else hallucinate when they have anxiety?

My anxiety was that bad I was actually feeling water dripping on me. I even start to hear sounds too that are not there and it's all related to any fear I have. I may even feel things that are not there because of how bad my anxiety gets sometimes when I have no control over my environment.

I'm by no means an expert on such things,but that sounds a lot like a schizophrenic episode that may require a professional opinion.

But it doesn't happen very often. It only happens when my anxiety gets that intense and if nothing is done about it to make it better. But this time it's about my car and we can't do anything about it until after Tuesday. It's not like we can get the guy to let us get our car in sooner because they have tons of other cars they are working on and no one can help that. But luckily we have been having a break from the rain so that has helped with my anxiety. But then again, we can't control mother nature either.

My sun roof on my car needs to be fixed and because I can't take it in until after Tuesday and I have no place to put my car in, no garage or nothing. I have been having a lot of anxiety because of the rain we had been having. Luckily for the past two days my anxiety has been better because it hasn't been raining in the day time so I have a break from my anxiety. I keep trash bags or a plastic tablecloth over my sun roof instead and it has been helping because the headboard isn't damp. At least we know now it's the sun roof if the plastic has been helping. Thank goodness it hasn't been windy.

But the hallucination part, I have felt actual water dripping on me while I would be driving it. I was actually feeling it though I wouldn't see any drips or any wet spots above me and I would feel them and still wouldn't feel any. Does anyone else hallucinate when they have anxiety?

My anxiety was that bad I was actually feeling water dripping on me. I even start to hear sounds too that are not there and it's all related to any fear I have. I may even feel things that are not there because of how bad my anxiety gets sometimes when I have no control over my environment.

When my anxiety kicks in, especially through a fear, I hear noises that aren't there, feel things that aren't there... For example, I have a phobia of wasps. If I see one then it flies away, for ages afterwards I can hear them and feel as if I can feel them landing on me, even though there are none around. When you're anxious, your whole body is on high alert so you are much more susceptible to feelings and sensations you may not usually be. Hope this helps :) xx

If it's any indication Kit, my imagination seems to function in that way at times too. If for example I watch a documentary on parasites or mosquitoes or once watching one on bed bugs, I became itchy for days.

Would wake up in the middle of the night thinking I had been bitten by bed bugs, and would think that they were in my bed. There were none, but I had to check every day, just to make certain. Actually scratched myself raw in my sleep.

Once read a news story about two young guys who slaughtered an entire family in the middle of the night in a rural farmhouse. The article was about their trial and capital punishment. It had happened years before, in another province from the one I lived in at the time. Think it was the first time I'd read such a story.

Actually thought somehow that they were coming to kill myself and my family. Was so frightened at the time, that I couldn't sleep, so I hid under my bed. Thought I heard them coming up the stairs, imagined the sound, heard them making noise. Was terrified and shaking the entire night. When I eventually fell asleep, I woke up thinking that everyone I knew was dead. So I looked around and no one was. Was still terrified though, the mind can do terrible things. Sometimes I wish I had no imagination at all.

Last edited:
I do, yes, though professionals seem to think they are pseudo-hallucinations. I do feel things on my body sometimes and I hear voices (in my head, not with my ears) and see people (in my mind, not with my eyes). They think it comes from my anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Exactly why mine were classified as pseudo-hallucinations.

Which really don't reflect your losing control with reality. Such experiences may not be any more significant than hypnopompic hallucinations which are relatively common in experiencing them while waking up from a deep sleep.

Let me reiterate that we are not professionals and if the truth is really what someone wants,they should seek help from those who deal in these types of matters.I would still advise seeking an opinion outside of a forum ;)

Yes I do, but not sure if it is a "side-effect" of my epilepsy.
To me, it usually happened just before a meltdown.
Epilepsy cause me having a lot of autistic like behaviour, and yet CP and doctors can't tell I have Aspergers or not.

I can only let the time to tell the truth, since if the Autistic trait remain here even after my Epilepsy become better, then I'm 100% on the spectrum.
Hope this help.

Last edited:
The water dripping on you probably wasn't a hallucination, but your sunroof leaking and you didn't realise it, or it's worse than you think.
As for the other things, I have been known to smell cabbage or rice pudding when there wasn't any for miles around! I was working for a bank at the time, which I hated (but it paid the mortgage, and I couldn't find anything better; I'm out of there now) and found stressful for various reasons. I didn't know I was autistic at the time, much less that the phantom smells could be due to it or to anxiety; it's one of those things that's fallen into place since I've realised I have the condition.

Yes. I was going to say no actually, but on reading further, I realised that indeed I do.

But it doesn't happen very often. It only happens when my anxiety gets that intense and if nothing is done about it to make it better. But this time it's about my car and we can't do anything about it until after Tuesday. It's not like we can get the guy to let us get our car in sooner because they have tons of other cars they are working on and no one can help that. But luckily we have been having a break from the rain so that has helped with my anxiety. But then again, we can't control mother nature either.
I do not believe this is a Schizophrenic episode. It might be a side effect of anxiety although alot of people on the Autism Spectrum also have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Simple Partial seizures can cause hallucinations and the episodes are triggered by stress.

New Threads

Top Bottom