• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like or hate watching sport?

Are you a sport spectator

• I love watching sport.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • A watch a bit.

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • I think it's a complete waste of time, and I can't understand why people do it.

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I got thinking this from another thread, and wondered if it's common.

I don't mind playing sport (I don't love it though), but I can't see any point in watching it and I never have.

I used to watch motor racing, but I think that was because of the bikes and the cars and the noise they make, and I've got into foot ball matches but only if I care about the outcome, EG national team in the world cup finals, or the few times I've bet on sports.

When I have watched it I notice that my mimicking skills don't work, and the things I say to other spectators obvious stand out as quite weird.

Its a total waste of time, but it really depends on the sport for me. If there are dogs, horses, or martial arts of any kind I'll watch (even though I tend to dissociate while watching fights because of PTSD). Those are my obsessions, and I'll watch for at least an hour or two before getting bored and needing to do other stuff.

If there's nothing else on TV and I have other mental pursuits going on at the same time, I may have a football game on but only to check in on the score occasionally if there's a team with an animal name I like playing. Basketball and Baseball are just too pointless, Soccer sucks too, and the others are just as stupid to me.

I rarely watch sports. Sometimes I might go to a live game once every x amount of years. But watching it on TV is not enjoyable for me.

I really find pro sports to be very boring. I may watch a football game with friends because they like to do that and I try to fit in. But other than that. I really don't care for it at all.

It really depends, one of my obsessions/restricted interests is motorsports so I watch everything that has a motor: F1, nascar, motogp, formula e, wtcc, etc. Football (soccer), well, I'm not a big fan, here in my country is the national sport, even more since Brazil 2014, but i'm not very interested in it, I only follow Uefa Champions League and Spanish Liga because some players from here play there (Go K. Navas :p).

Growing in a cyclist family I have some interest in it, but only in the 3 major's: Giro, Tour and Vuelta. When I was a kid I even competed in a couple of races as a kid and I was told I was very good but I got bored...well, I crashed hard once lol.

I love to play it and watch it. Particularly football, basketball, and soccer. I'm actually an athletic Aspie. I've noticed that usually people who don't like sports are not athletic at all and are uncoordinated. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people have beautiful voices and sing and play instruments instead. I sound like a dying goat scratching a chalkboard when I try to sing and play instruments.

I'm not a big sports fan and I find watching it boring,my husband will watch the supercross but I'm not into it.

I really am not into watching or even playing, but rather amusingly, when the wii was popular, I begged hubby to get one for exercise purposes and I did make use of it and discovered I liked playing golf, but my life style is not one that gives me the chance to play for real.

I did find I liked rounders at school.

Not that it is a sport, but love table tennis and playing pool. Both, which I have not participated in, since leaving my country and moving to France.

I find the way people react to a ball being kicked, really bizarre.

I love to watch snooker! Other than that, wrestling and the occasional rugby game, although only generally the six nations and mostly it'll be Wales V England. That match was on last weekend (it was actually in Cardiff) and sadly England won :rolleyes:

I watch soccer matches when my country's playing in the EU or world cup, but that's mostly because I love how excited everyone gets and because all my friends will gather to watch. I usually miss all the goals because I'm talking to friends. I usually organize viewing parties at my boyfriend's pub so I'm sort of obliged to be there anyway.

My ex had a season pass for our local soccer team, but he stopped bringing me because I was usually watching anything but the field (but seriously, two seagulls fighting over a discarded hamburger, super interesting you guys)

I might watch the odd bit of snooker if it's on the TV. I also like to watch the Winter Olympics, particularly the ice hockey - I love that game between the US and Russia back in Sochi, that was quite a win by the US.

Other than that though, no I don't watch much sports. I would watch NHL games but it costs a lot and trying to get out of a subscription looks hard so I don't bother. Yeah, racing is quite boring, football is really boring.

I can watch a lot of these things if I'm actually at the place where it takes part. I went to a Pompy match against South Hampton in my early teens and I quite enjoyed that. Which was surprising.

i like to watch arsenal play but i will watch matches with other interesting premiership teams.
i like to watch NFL;my team has been jacksonville jaguars for years but cant sit through a whole match.
i like to watch US college football when i get the chance.
i like to watch irish hurling,especially if its at the irish world heritidge centre in cheetham hill,manchester,because i can get a drink of jamesons while there and not look out of place drinking it.

and i like being a special olympics athlete,i compete in boccia,ive not been to training for a while as my care was moved to a different staff team and they are a bit awkward about driving all the way to crewe.i used to love competing in swimming to but the training was very brutal even though i was in the low ability level with my physical disability,people think because its the 'special' olympics that its got no competitiveness and skill but there are some fierce players, some of my mates on the teams were international champions.

I Like to watch gymnastics because I used to do it. But I have no attention span to sit and watch something because I have to keep moving. Sitting on a couch to watch TV is torture.

However, I did go to some hockey games in Canada. That was fun because they were moving all the time and it was crisp air in there and you try to catch a glimpse of a famous guy. Hard to get to see them play live in Canada! A lot of people in Canada would plan vacations in the states to watch the Leafs play! I am serious!!

You and my spouse would get along well :) He watches snooker and plays guitar!

I'll watch olympic level gymnastics and a few playoff hockey games, otherwise I'd rather do sports than watch them.
my elderly cat biscuit;who lives at my mums house watches snooker on tv religeously,when my dad bought his first flat tv, biscuit was watching snooker and she attempted to jump up on the tv as she used to on the CRT type [so she could look down and paw at the balls on the screen] she went flying over the top of the tv and down the back,snooker is should be classified as an extreme sport.
bigheadbisc.jpg

However, I did go to some hockey games in Canada. That was fun because they were moving all the time and it was crisp air in there and you try to catch a glimpse of a famous guy. Hard to get to see them play live in Canada!

Think it depends where you lived though. I saw a lot of hockey games where people stamped their feet and jumped up and down to stay warm.:) It became a thing eventually to to stamp your feet at games, because of the cold. You could get in on a general admission ticket ($12.00) for every game, except playoffs, unless you camped out overnight to get those tickets. As for watching on tv, I can't sit down for a more than a few minutes either, I usually exercise while watching anything.

Last edited:
I watch football sometimes with my boyfriend and we just make silly remarks all the way through. We don't take it seriously at all. Our favorite team is the Greenbay Packers for no reason really other than fans are sometimes referred to as Cheeseheads and have been seen wearing foam cheese hats. Actually, we generally do stuff like cook while the game is on and only end up seeing a 1/4 of it. Mostly on mute. So, while I do watch, I really don't watch properly and would never watch with anyone who likes sports. I'd just annoy them terribly. Oh, I like golf sometimes if the course is on a coast with maybe an Amtrak zipping by from time to time.

I got thinking this from another thread, and wondered if it's common.

I don't mind playing sport (I don't love it though), but I can't see any point in watching it and I never have.

I used to watch motor racing, but I think that was because of the bikes and the cars and the noise they make, and I've got into foot ball matches but only if I care about the outcome, EG national team in the world cup finals, or the few times I've bet on sports.

When I have watched it I notice that my mimicking skills don't work, and the things I say to other spectators obvious stand out as quite weird.
I don,t like and I don,t hate it just doesn,t do anything for me and i think alot of sport watching on the tv is boring and i never was a football - baseball - basketball kinda guy its boring and alot of the time boring to watch in real time.

Almost no sports. Most sports on TV are professional; are entertainment for those who find them entertaining. I don't. I have watched a few college [American] football games because friends were interested and I partially followed the progress of the games while I was doing other things. I cannot cope with the boredom of watching any other sports. I have been told that Ice Hockey is good if watched in person from the stands. Maybe sometime I will try that.

I have no interest in almost all team sports. I have even less interest in Golf and most individual sports. I have always been a fan of drag racing and have built and raced several of my own cars. I never really enjoyed the driving and finally had others drive for me. I loved working late nights alone in the shop building and maintaining the cars. I also enjoy the noise and spectacle

New Threads

Top Bottom