• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Have ADHD?

Grumpy Cat

It's me, Angie. I think Epath13 opened my eyes! I've been wondering for a couple years what was wrong with me. PROCRASTINATION has been a really big problem for me and I couldn't figure out why - just to get ready for bed at night takes over an hour and when I need to do something it will take me FOREVER to get started and while I'm doing it, I'll go to another thing that I need to get done or check my phone (sometimes forgetting the first task altogether). It bothers me that I can never relax and just knit or watch a movie - I have to be doing something all the time. It's hard for me to finish my knitting and crochet projects because I lose interest and keep starting new ones. I do the same with reading books - I'll be reading one and be half way through when another book catches my eye and I start that one. In the end, nothing gets completed! I do lists now with my housework which helps some. Epath13 gave me some ideas on how to cope in another thread. I know I'm a nurse and should have picked up on this sooner (if I do indeed have it), but a person never sees things in themselves.

Anyone who has ADHD, can you tell me your symptoms and how you have chosen to deal with them?

I am not officially diagnosed but I think some people think I have it. I did some reading and may some what have it at a mild level. Don't know if I can give any good insight but my ears are open.

Is this ADHD?! I dont know if i have it, and i know very well that symptoms in girls can be different from manifested in boys. However i will tell how is with me and what i do:

1. I lose interest fast in many things, some of them are important

I can feel overwhelmed by the amount of things and easily procrastinate,since i have difficulties with priorities. So i select the more important of them and start, if i feel that i'm losing interest or feeling oppressed i stop, calm down than i get back to it ( repeat this as many as possible until it works).​
2.When really agitated i can have difficulties to think or behave normally (under NT standards, i'm pretty normal for me)
I can go to a calm environment if possible; i can eat some sweat food (that seems to work for me very well, go figure); Try not make any important decision.​
3. I can easily lost myself in some task that have to many steps to folow, (My mother are always yelling at me because of that.)
If possible, i wrote everything down, if not i have always a friend who help me remember (that only work at college),In cases were i can't do eather of the other two things i do my best to associate the steps with something i can remember (that can create funny pictures in your head!)​
4. I get very distracted times with my thoughts and lose the perseption (already bad) of things around me
5. I have a loud mind, its even worse when i have to study and some random music are on repeat on my thoughts background! Do not have a way to stop it (if the music is good, keep on playing!:p
6. I'm reckless, and always lose or misplace things (but not my beloved books)
Try to put things on they right places (but if i'm very stressed or worried, i'm Ms.Organization)​
7.Troubles in organize my tasks and commitments (Right now this are the source of my problems, frustration and worries)
8. I seem to have poor listening skills and people may assume that i dont care when i cant seem to be capable to remember things they say. (this )
I try to pay attention to the key words of the subject in conversation, so I can remember and resume the essence of the conversation.​
9. Sometimes, without realizing it, I pass to subject from different one that makes sense to me, but not to the person i'm talking to.

By the way, i think one of my male teachers have ADHD.

That's it, there's more, but i can't remember right now, hope it helps

Last edited:
I am supposedly ADD. Not hyperactive, just can't seem to pay attention to stuff that doesn't interest me. However, when i am reading a book that I am interested in, I can sit there for hours on end, not concentrating on anything else but the book. I have not been officially diagnosed (i dont think), but I am positive that I have Asperger Syndrome. The worst part is knowing there is nothing i can do about it. No pills I can take to make myself feel better. I tried ADD meds but they just don't work. Sorry I'm rambling. I'll stop now :)

I call my ADD "son". It is so hard to concentrate on anything for more than five seconds with a toddler! But before him, if I had trouble concentrating, I'd put on some music or something. It got me through a lot of classes and studying, and helps me at work.

Have you tried non stimulant and stimulant medications

I'm sorry. My ADHD (if I do indeed have it) must have caused me to leave this thread and start a new one! :p

I actually am trying to find ways to stay on track that are not meds. I believe in the natural way. Last night it only took me about 45 min to get to bed. That's a little improvement, right? :rolleyes:

I think I'm ADD without the hyperactivity, but maybe ADHD because (like you) I can't relax and always have to be doing something. It just doesn't have to be physical movement though. Must be mentally active at least. That's why I never got in trouble for it in school, I'm sure. I was able to sit still. I just had trouble concentrating on things that didn't interest me. Luckily, most learning did and does interest me. Now I have trouble concentrating on work. I have to keep changing things up through the day in order to maintain productivity. Many short breaks are necessary, and doing a couple of things simultaneously. Music helps a lot. Thank the Lord I'm self-employed; otherwise, I'd be in big trouble with my boss :)

Im Diagnosed with ADD. I have troubles concentrating, listening and sometimes reading. I forget easily and have emotional problems. I can't focuse on one thing for more than few minutes often and I need to "play" with something if I have to sit still and listen!
Maybe you should ask your doctor! ADHD Is very common if you have PDD-NOS :)

I just watched an interesting infomercial on the local PBS station with Dr. Amen. The good doctor promotes his treatment to "heal" ADD/ADHD. The basics of it are just good common sense: limit TV and videogame play (probably Internet usage too); exercise out in nature (walk in the park, etc.) at least 45 minutes 4-5 times a week; eliminate caffeine, nicotine and limit simple carbohydrate intake; get proper sleep. I didn't see the whole program, but I think the treatment goes into more detail for handling procrastination and other symptoms of ADD/ADHD. It might be something to look into for more information on the condition. This might be someplace to start:
. I haven't watched this one yet, but most comments on the video are positive.

Is this ADHD?! I dont know if i have it, and i know very well that symptoms in girls can be different from manifested in boys. However i will tell how is with me and what i do:

1. I lose interest fast in many things, some of them are important

I can feel overwhelmed by the amount of things and easily procrastinate,since i have difficulties with priorities. So i select the more important of them and start, if i feel that i'm losing interest or feeling oppressed i stop, calm down than i get back to it ( repeat this as many as possible until it works).​
2.When really agitated i can have difficulties to think or behave normally (under NT standards, i'm pretty normal for me)
I can go to a calm environment if possible; i can eat some sweat food (that seems to work for me very well, go figure); Try not make any important decision.​
3. I can easily lost myself in some task that have to many steps to folow, (My mother are always yelling at me because of that.)
If possible, i wrote everything down, if not i have always a friend who help me remember (that only work at college),In cases were i can't do eather of the other two things i do my best to associate the steps with something i can remember (that can create funny pictures in your head!)​
4. I get very distracted times with my thoughts and lose the perseption (already bad) of things around me
5. I have a loud mind, its even worse when i have to study and some random music are on repeat on my thoughts background! Do not have a way to stop it (if the music is good, keep on playing!:p
6. I'm reckless, and always lose or misplace things (but not my beloved books)
Try to put things on they right places (but if i'm very stressed or worried, i'm Ms.Organization)​
7.Troubles in organize my tasks and commitments (Right now this are the source of my problems, frustration and worries)
8. I seem to have poor listening skills and people may assume that i dont care when i cant seem to be capable to remember things they say. (this )
I try to pay attention to the key words of the subject in conversation, so I can remember and resume the essence of the conversation.​
9. Sometimes, without realizing it, I pass to subject from different one that makes sense to me, but not to the person i'm talking to.

By the way, i think one of my male teachers have ADHD.

That's it, there's more, but i can't remember right now, hope it helps
Me too! I tried to write out my reply, but... This sums it up nicely.
I am diagnosed ADD, and tasks can be exceedingly difficult if I am not interested or hyper focusing. Medications did not help me, and added problems.
Coping? I forget to cope most often, to be honest. I just roll with as best I can.

If you haven't yet, ( or not recently) you should all check out my disability advocate blog it's Disability Advocate 1 | A place for guidance, awareness, and inspiration for the disabled, and those who care about them! and revisit it too. It's ADHD and LD awareness month this month so I have, and will be posting a lot more ADHD related stuff soon. ( I hope) . 1 of which ( meaning the upcoming post) will include a website URL to the best ADHD diagnostic questionnaire ever! If any of you want to friend me. On Facebook, or you visit my blogs. Feel free to comment on it too!

Thanks!

I don't lose interest in my activities, but I can't keep focused in one thing at a time, I alternative between reading to websites at intervals. Or reading a chapter of a book then seeing ten minutes of video on youtube. A lot of things like that.

Also I skipped important thougths by playing som mp3 music or seeing the road daydreaming while riding, walking or footstprinting.

Also I'm very impulsive. Though my great attention span from childhood can manifest sometimes at intervals depending on the situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom