• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

do you get bored easily?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
I can't believe it... I'm actually posting something again...
anyway sometimes I become highly interested in something but a day or 2 later I loose that interest completely. I can regain it again if I'm constantly reminded how interested I've been before or if someone asks me to stay on track. I'm wondering if it's really a boredom or processing difficulties cause me to withdraw from the subject. I have hard time organizing my thoughts, ideas, I can honestly say I have hard time organizing practically anything more or less complex. Let's say I'd like to know more about robotics. It is actually my son's interest, so we started reading a book about it and they right away start with some basic physics and math. I can recall some of the things from school, and it's actually quite interesting but... I'm on ...I don't know 40th something page and don't want to do it anymore. Now it's more of an obligation. But then again if I could dedicate all the time in the world to this particular interest I would have more success with it, and the process would be more enjoyable. But because I have to plan all my activities (can't dedicate all the time to one thing) , it's hard to maintain interest or stay motivated.

Does anyone else have similar problem?

Yes, I have that a lot.

However, I do have a few reasons/methods to get around this (which I've learned in the past), and in the result I keep focus a lot more.

I tend to eliminate anything that will draw my attention away that much. I kinda focus on this, and anything around me isn't relevant. Up to the moments where I just didn't do groceries for 2 days while I had to (and thus had practically nothing to eat around) because I just know this stuff messes with my interest and focus to actually "learn" something. To some I appear to be a total recluse, I'm fine with it to some extent. I only want to go out for a reason. Groceries is a reason, but not one that mixes in with what my interest is. If I go out, it's to snap pictures from walls for textures in graphic work, or to look around for architecture in the area, not because I "must". Keeping interest is also a factor when my mom cooks food and calls me for dinner. Recently I told her, don't... I'll either warm it myself, or make something when I feel like it. I can't start anything if I know beforehand that I might interrupt my work and lose interest again. It's how I totally NOT get stuff done. So even to start something I actually need to know that the time I could spend on it, is "infinite"... and therefor I eliminate all ways to keep track of time around me as well. I have one clock around and that actually is one that makes me get up and look at it rather than one I can see from anywhere around. I can't deal with the pressure "only X-amount of time". Yet, I'm quite a timely person in the sense that I never show up late on an appointment.

For that same reason I don't have pets, nor do I plan on having children. My phone is in "offline mode" for 23 hours a day and I prefer to not check my mailbox, yet I usually do once every 2 days. Processing what other people actually want from me in the way of an "obligation" usually gets to me where I have to stop doing what I like and sit around thinking about it and processing it. I've had times where that took days. I once got phoned and had a job, so I had to work the other day. My boss told me I wasn't "there"... no I wasn't I was still hung up over that phone call, because I hadn't processed the entire process what it was about. In the end it's where contact with other people makes me "forget" what I was doing, thus I have no drive, thus I have no idea what to with my time and yes... then I get bored.

Worst part probably is, that I actually would prefer a partner who has similar interests so I can kinda "feed of" her interest to keep myself hooked, if I have a problem motivating myself. Because to be honest, if I like working on my computer on project X and my girlfriend actually prefers to watch romantic comedies, that works out for about a day, if that sticks, I'm better off on my own. I don't believe in concessions that way, because in a concession I never have my full 100% interest and motivation.

It's for the same reason I never finished college, because I couldn't deal with the first weekendbreak in the year, and if that wasn't enough, than surely my holidays were (on top of that I usually have about 2 days or so adjusting in having a 'feel" for it). That was enough to totally disinterest me and that's when I learned I rather work on comission to have something done in X time, rather than to trudge on a pre-planned daily basis.

If I engage in social conversation people usually think I talk about "me" and "my interests" a lot, but actually I think it's more of way to see if there's other people's opinions on that... yet I still want to keep interest in focus on what I'm doing. I have a really hard time actually caring for something in daily conversation (+ that I think small talk is a horrible way of conversation) that isn't connected to my interest.

I should note, that on forums for example it isn't that bad, because I can go around and respond or read what I want. It's not that I have the obligation to be active on stuff I don't care about.

It's where it becomes that I have to act dysfunctional to actually be "functional" to myself. And I need my time (which is quite a large amount of time) to even do so.

But yeah, I can imagine, if you're having kids, married, stuff like that, it's really hard to "organise" your time and plans. But I kinda choose to live a live without to much obligations... I have a hard time already if my body tells me that I have to put food in (or food needs to get out for that matter).

I also think that "bored" is the wrong word here... perhaps it's more of a "do you lost interest quickly?" but I kinda got your point reading the opening post :)

I get bored very easily which often leads to anxiety attacks.
I try to keep myself busy with my research.

I get bored very easily which often leads to anxiety attacks.
I try to keep myself busy with my research.

But, from what I've read in your introduction post, you have meds for going OCD in research? Makes me wonder what's actually worse, having anxiety attacks because you "can't" research or having OCD and researching around the clock and actually improving "your knowledge". By that definition we could close schools as well, lol

I think it's harder than just it's either this or that, but yeah... maybe I misunderstood your situation in your introduction, if so I apologize

Well, the psych doc is the one who decided I should have OCD meds because I tend to over-research, in which case I never feel like I've been productive enough.
The Valium decreases panic due to the lazyness the OCD meds induces, when I can't research to full capacity.

Logistically speaking, I'm screwed backwards and forwards.

Meh... I don't really believe in giving someone meds for something and then adding more meds to cancel out side-effects from other meds. But yeah, that's just me... and I'm no therapist. Luckily my therapist is a bit on the same page as me on this one.

But then again... if you feel "happy" with the meds you're having, I can't see an objection to it.

Something I do want to ask, which is kinda in line with this thread. The novel you wrote, was this with or without meds? If you don't want to share that information publicly, you could send me a Private message if you want. Because I feel that OCD could to some extent (yet, that varies a bit on each person) come in handy if you're writing books and stuff like that.

Well, I did just start this med but I'm not sure I'll want to stay on it.

I wrote my novel starting 5 years ago which was without meds. Most of it was written without meds, actually - I was on Klonopin for some of it which doesn't interfere really with my OCD tendencies.

Well, I did just start this med but I'm not sure I'll want to stay on it.

I wrote my novel starting 5 years ago which was without meds. Most of it was written without meds, actually - I was on Klonopin for some of it which doesn't interfere really with my OCD tendencies.

Oh ok... yeah, a reason why I wondered, because I'm working on a project myself, including art, music and literature (down the line at least)... and that's pretty much the only thing I can do... I'll let it up for debate if I'm good at it (yay for no college graduation I guess), and I wouldn't really want to be in the position to take meds and not have an outlook on what to with my life to start with. It does vary on each person and it depends on what the meds are for, but most people who are into creative stuff can't really deal with most meds from what I've heard.

Yeah, I've been on everything pretty much.
I've head many therapists say boredom = depression.

Yeah, I've been on everything pretty much.
I've head many therapists say boredom = depression.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard. However, if you have something against boredom... a purpose or a goal, they're not all to happy about it either... especially if it's not "according to the book"

So I'm 23 and haven't started a career yet. I'll pick somthing that I want to focus on, but then a couple of days later it will seem boring and I'll start to think about all of these options that I have. I'm one of those people that have many interests and is very laid back, but am not GREAT at any one thing. Has anyone experienced this, and what did you do? Thanks :radar:

I am bored easy if I don't have a puzzle to work on. If I get on a subject and I am interested in it, I won't get bored with it ever.

I find myself frequently subjected to mind-numbing boredom which drifts into a deep depression which makes the whole thing even worse. I have my special interests but they are so narrow that I frequently exhaust them and end up feeling empty and hollow. I wish that I could escape from this nightmare of boredom that has plagued me since I was a kid but it seems even worse now that I am in my forties than it did when I was a child.

For me it's complex, because I don't get bored easily in general, it's like I lost interest in things that I was doing. Like I was writing a FanFiction and I can't write anymore and I go to another fanfic and another. The same of video games. It's frustrating because, in the end, I have a lot of things without ending.

However, in the day I don't get bored easily, because I created stories in my head about my obsessions and I talk aloud with "them" and entertain a lot. Too bad they distract me about 89% of the time.

Ah, I do this. :(
I've a tendency to start multiple projects. I code, make websites, buy domains... expensive hobby, and I try REALLY hard to not buy anymore. I mean, I've done well... June was the last domain... :x

For me it's complex, because I don't get bored easily in general, it's like I lost interest in things that I was doing. Like I was writing a FanFiction and I can't write anymore and I go to another fanfic and another. The same of video games. It's frustrating because, in the end, I have a lot of things without ending.

However, in the day I don't get bored easily, because I created stories in my head about my obsessions and I talk aloud with "them" and entertain a lot. Too bad they distract me about 89% of the time.
To clarify: Do you mean you talk to, like, your obsessions? I do this, is why I'm wondering!

Yes. When I moved to Nova Scotia I found a model railroad club. I really into this stuff and thought I would enjoy myself. They started a new layout which I thought was interesting. But development was extremely slow. Also it was hard to relate to the members when they talked about none train stuff. I wanted something like Toronto that their is a dedicated club house with existing layouts that you can play with. But nothing like this exist here.

New Threads

Top Bottom