• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you annoy people?

Keith

I've been banned from forums for excessive posting of fantasy lists and stupid ideas. I also annoy people in chatrooms and exhaust people in public. I guess I don't know when to get out of my own mind.

Someone in my Aspergers adult education class will not shut up when he gets to talking about his favorite video games. Last time I spoke to him he ended up talking nonstop into my ear for hours.

LOL!! I know I get on my step daughter's nerves as I google everything then instead of giving the needed fact I just go on and read several pointless facts!!

I sometimes tend to spam random online chat rooms I come across by whenever I'm bored (except aspiescentral). I do temporarily though. I have no idea why I get the vibe to do it. I remember when I got banned three times on the PlayStation forums (specifically PlayStation All-Stars) by posting threads that claim Spongebob Squarepants has been announced as a playable character for that specific game. Those threads were fake obviously, and satire.

In real life, however, I tend to poke closest friends randomly. I don't do all the time though, at times when it's okay, whenever I feel they don't mind. It may sound weird, which is why I never do it public. I'm probably not the only one lol

LOL!! I know I get on my step daughter's nerves as I google everything then instead of giving the needed fact I just go on and read several pointless facts!!
that also perfectly describes a support staff of mine who have strongly suspected of being aspie.

have been told am annoying by sister when growing up,was deeply regreted and resented by her as well because of the effect had had on the family, but the only other place have been told am annoying was on WP,and it was by a sockpuppeting person that was groomed,stalked and severely bullied by.

have never been in mainstream society apart from when being brought from one place to another which always results in rampant disablism as am obviously/visibly disabled so have not been around people with very high expectations of human behavior, it helps tolerance if people are around a wider variety of people all the time but obviously in mainstream society they dont get that.
personaly,have never found people annoying and was educated with/have lived with some of the most acutely challenging people in the country as well as knowing non disabled people who are extreme extroverts,have got a very high tolerance for diversity.

Very confusing issue. It is subjective yet tangible. I hate hurting others. For me personally, it is also related to my having both autism and epilepsy. Apparently both conditions can include rewiring of brain connections long term, and this Is thought to be the mechanism for our seeing connections between concepts that nts don't see. Salience perception could also be varied in ppl on the spectrum. This may be why we notice things to be important yet the same things appear unimportant issues to the mainstream. Viscosity and perseveration may reflect areas of the brain that are tuned up and have an override of other brain functions. My perception can be low exemplified by analyzing every word said to try to communicate, but I almost always guess incorrectly. So I try to avoid being blunt about things. Sometimes I don't think what I say is blunt, and am surprised at the reaction. So now to avoid problems I don't initiate communication (this forum is an exception). :grimacing: Over familiarity with people I like but only know very superficially is another feature of my behavior that I have recently realized has been miscalibrated. This can indicate social misperception that can be a result of neurological variation in innate social style. All these things bother nts because it confuses them apparently. Hence the annoying label given to interactions that I am the last to know about. Abusive, exploitative nts can also say one is annoying to manipulate when it is not actually true, so reality testing is important.

It really hurts when someone I really like is put off. Helping people is important to me, i have to fix this so I can help others more. I try to remember all of the rules, and I hope that I am improving.

Last edited:
Didn't realise this thread was so old, it came up as a suggestion, so I thought it must be new/ relevant, but I might as well reply now. I annoy myself with everything I do and say, so me thinking that I annoy other people could be tainted to think that I annoy them, even if I don't. However, I'm pretty sure I am going to annoy people by resurrecting an ancient thread like this one, but feel I have to now because I just "liked" a post further up this thread. I do not blame anyone who thinks I am annoying because I know exactly where they're coming from. Sometimes I think I should just shut up. :oops:
I think my tolerance of other people is .. odd. Many people who annoy lots of people do not annoy me, but if someone does something very subtle, like they just have an unusual way of nodding, they will annoy me intensely.

So there's your historic discovery of the day. This thread. If you like, just put it in the press, or just look at it from afar. Now I've annoyed myself :nomouth:

I can be annoying to some people and they let it be known by yelling at me, as though I choose to be annoying which I don't.

I don't intentionally annoy anyone, human or otherwise.

In the past my mother and father got angry with me for asking why a thing was as it was or
suggesting that a situation could be other than what it was.

Examples:

What happens if someone tries to use the phone while Daddy is on the computer?
They had dial-up. No explanation. Only rage. Yelling that I better not do it. I don't think anyone knew
exactly what would happen or why, technically speaking. So that was fear of the unknown, on their part.

My reaction to a comedy in which low ranking soldiers were ordered to do silly things by superior officer.
My father was very irritated when I said that the whole premise fails if the (much larger group of) lower class men
refused to do what the (smaller group of) officers ordered. This was a violation of a social contract and that
apparently a loathsome idea.

Last night I got a sort of bored face from the cat for tickling him in the ear with his own tail.
I was just playing with him. He did the Look: Oh, you really are pathetic, you monkey-thing.

My sister gets annoyed with me for putting belief in the idea of explanations. I think language is for
communication and that explanations I make further communication. I get annoyed with people who are unwilling to explain clearly and then make it out to be a fault of mine for not acknowledging
'the obvious.'

Last edited:
tree you just totally cracked me up, thank you. My cats give me that look regularly. "...you really are pathetic you monkey-thing."

Yes I am annoying, so I've been told when I say things such as this: "Put your phone down before making scrsmbled eggs."

I don't know what people think of me so I don't know if I annoy people or not, unless they tell me, which they rarely do because they consider that impolite. If I do annoy people, I don't do it on purpose. I'm not very talkative and generally keep myself to myself, so not that many opportunities come up where I could annoy people, I guess.

Generally I wouldn't say I annoy people. Most people seem to find me quite pleasant. What is bound to annoy people is my tendency to forget things, or walk away before a conversation has ended. This leads people to think that I am not listening, but I don't do it on purpose. But generally I try very hard not to offend people. Perhaps too hard.

What is bound to annoy people is my tendency to forget things, or walk away before a conversation has ended. This leads people to think that I am not listening, but I don't do it on purpose.
I am the same. If someone is talking to me without pausing, then they pause, I think they have finished talking, which annoys the hell out of some people. It gets confusing sometimes if someone has been pausing a lot during the conversation because I don't realise when they have finished and then they wonder why I am still standing in front of them looking at them. This annoys them as they wonder what I am about to say and what I am doing... But I'm not going to say anything, I'm just waiting for what they say next.

I always feel like i'm being annoying just by talking, unless its the reply i know they're looking for. That's half the reason i never talk to anybody; on the rare chance i feel like they want me to talk to them or reply, its usually either a misunderstanding and they were just being polite or they were being genuinely friendly and i blow it giving a totally honest, whatever i feel like saying back, reply. =/ My supervisors used to try to be friendly to me but i think they gave up cause now if they're talking friendly to a coworker of mine, anybody really, they'll ignore me...i mean yeah i never knew what to say so i'd just end up staring or being awkward but still...

I don't know in reality whether I annoy people, but I think I do all the time. Sometimes I think I annoy them and they're not fully aware of it, but they're still acting annoyed at me.

It's the same like if someone is bored with a conversation and they start having a hard time staying awake, but they can't admit that's happening when questioned because they don't want to think of themselves as a person who would fall asleep during a conversation...even though their eyes were droopy and they didn't really understand what was just said.

So I see signs of people being annoyed at me, but they won't admit it even to themselves, but I still see it, so I pull away and try not to bother them with my presence or interaction.

Problem is, they see my pulling away as communicating to them that I don't like them, whereas really it's an act of love towards them to try and not burden them with me when I know that I'm annoying them. Does that make any sense at all?

I feel like my communications of love for people are just so differently motivated and translated that people just don't pick up on how I feel about them. So they think I'm ignoring them or avoiding them or trying to offend them, when really what I'm doing is trying to respect their space, and make it easier on them to have a relationship with me, and not be such a burden.

It's the golden rule...treat others as you would have them treat you...but what I want seems so different than what they want. Seems like the rule should be...treat others as THEY want to be treated...but that requires knowing what they want...and being able to provide that...and it doesn't really work that way.

I annoy my husband on a daily basis. Now that he's aware of my Aspergers, he's become increasingly annoyed, I think because before, he thought there was a chance my tendencies could change, but now that's unlikely. I tell him I can improve, now that we've figured out why I am the way I am, but he just says, "you're 32 years old. You can't get better now. Maybe if you figured this out when you were a kid, but not now."
I think there are always ways to improve as a person, no matter how old, no matter the neurological make-up. It's neuro-plasticity. Maybe I won't become NT, but at least I can work towards mellowing out my tendencies.

New Threads

Top Bottom