• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do binaural beats really work ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
What's your opinion on this alternative medical phenomenon called, binaural beats which is suppose put you in a state of mind after listening to two frequencies combined into one?

They seem to have one for everything like intelligence boosting, support to quit smoking, meditation, drug effects, and adult related problems and etc. Do you think this is load of crap or maybe it's being abused and exploited like those diet pills that exclude exercising ?

What's your opinion on this alternative medical phenomenon called, binaural beats which is suppose put you in a state of mind after listening to two frequencies combined into one?

They seem to have one for everything like intelligence boosting, support to quit smoking, meditation, drug effects, and adult related problems and etc. Do you think this is load of crap or maybe it's being abused and exploited like those diet pills that exclude exercising ?
I just got an app for my phone with several choices of it...there are many on google's app store for free

After a few test flights I will give you my report :airplane: :D

I have no idea if they "work" in any of the ways that you mention, and I would be very skeptical of some of the claims (especially if it's anything people are trying to make money from), but I do find binaural beats interesting.

A musician whose work you might find interesting:

my phone's tone generator set to 15,000 hertz is a wonderful child repeller :p

they need to be played with head phones incase anyone here doesnt know already,otherwise the effects do not work.

am a strong believer of binaural beats and am not easy to kid with placebo effects because have not got any working/short term memory.
from last september till late january,was detained in a intelectual disability acute hospital and the only thing that kept self going was a laptop, pair of headphones and the whole backlog of binaural beats tracks.
had tried the pain killer tracks for when suffering from lack of painkillers and headaches [which was constantly there,due to all the noise and the challenging environment] and it did help,it seemed to block/divert the pain signals.
the anti anxiety ones helped as well,woudnt have got through bonfire night with all the fireworks and NYE if it wasnt for those tracks [that was on top of haliperidol with diazepam].

I just tried the one this morning for sleep and I had to turn it off immediately. It made me really anxious. Maybe I need to turn it down some? Idk. I know a lot of people use them and they get rave reviews on the apps. I would rather listen to a noise conditioner with nature sounds than some beating noise.

Yes. I have experienced both positive and negative effects. The auditory equivalent of the seizure warning in video games.

I believe in binaural beats and feel they work.

A while ago, I gave my online friend with Aspergers a binaural beat to listen to for relaxing as she was having trouble sleeping (family issues).
I'm guessing it worked because she stopped it after 10 seconds - telling me that her normally hyper senses has dulled down incredibly quickly. She had never had that happen before and it freaked her out - with it taking a long time for her senses to return to 'normal'.

I've tried using them at work for concentration. They are extremely annoying to me. My best sleep cd is a long gentle summer rain with occasional soft rolling thunder. I put it on repeat. It often (although not always) works. I will wake up sometimes in a part where the rain stops and the crickets start up. Then it starts raining softly again, and I go back to sleep. I once lived in a house with a tin roof, and the sound of (soft and gentle) rain of the roof was very soothing to me.

I've tried using them at work for concentration. They are extremely annoying to me. My best sleep cd is a long gentle summer rain with occasional soft rolling thunder. I put it on repeat. It often (although not always) works. I will wake up sometimes in a part where the rain stops and the crickets start up. Then it starts raining softly again, and I go back to sleep. I once lived in a house with a tin roof, and the sound of (soft and gentle) rain of the roof was very soothing to me.

I'd like to give this CD a try :D Rain always helps sooth me as well and helps me relax better.

I don't know, I tried a few for anxiety but they didn't do anything. Maybe they work better on some people than others, but then again some of the ones on offer such as boost intelligence or learn a skill seem highly unlikely if not impossible. There might be some good ones out there that work but considering how increasingly difficult it is to find free options and the wide selection of (bogus?) uses, it's definitely being abused by companies wanting to make some quick money by throwing out the same handful of mp3s to people who will buy it.

I'd think whether something like that is positively effective would depend a great deal on where a particular binaural beat sits on the hertz range relative to the individual. Having listened to an example on YouTube for about three minutes I was relieved when I turned it off.

My most ambient sound is the one I have posted many times in this forum. The sound of a gentle rainfall. The one I go to sleep with every night.

The one I can't seem to do without. Not real loud, nor real low in volume.

I had not heard of this previously. Only the first clip worked - it was too high pitched for me. Possibly with lower pitch I could see it working. The accelerating beat that comes in was way too much though, and it actually made me feel aggressive.

Some of them were definitely better than others. Not sure whether they would induce sleep or not. Will have to experiment. I usually use a box fan for this purpose.

New Threads

Top Bottom