• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do autistic/asperger's people have an abnormal love for animals?

oskarandri

I Once had a budgie and i owned him for one month, and he died from a bacterial disease and i barely bonded with him but i tried. I cried and fell into a depression after that for 4 days. In my family we have 5 pets and 4 of those pets were my idea and i'm the only one in the family who obsessively loves for them and cares for them, do you people have any case of this? and scientists and researchers have developed this new treatment for autistic people, it's called animal assisted therapy and it involves just plain animals and the person just keeps it (simple as that) and they think it provides mental,physical and learning benefits.

I wouldn't say it's abnormal, but from my research I believe that some of us do have a stronger bond to animals over humans. It may have to do with the fact that they're non-judgmental by their nature, and as such we don't have to worry about putting on a "normal" act to form a connection. Animals are not meant to be a replacement for human interaction, but I think it may help to alleviate much of the anxiety that comes with it - a good thing if you ask me.

I think it is because animals are more honest. That's not to say they aren't capable of deception, but it is a different kind of deception. They are not mean for the sake of meanness. You know where you stand with an animal. If a horse has its ears pinned back, it's mad. If they are pricked forward, it's happy and interested. If an animal loves you it is always happy to see you no matter what. They don't go saying, "Oh, God, it's that strange person again." They don't go whispering and gossiping.

I have always bonded very strongly with animals, particularly when I was a kid. I feel like I often have a natural sense of an animal's state of mind, probably much like a neurotypical person has with another neurotypical's state of mind.

Animals seem to love me, but I have to admit I feel absolutely nothing towards them. They don't seem real, just like everything else.

I have always been far more comfortable with animals than people. Any kind of animals really, horses, dogs, cats etc. Animals don't judge you or make fun of you. You don't need to 'read' animals to know if they like you.

I read a comic by and Aspie girl once that said she was always the one at a party who was off in a corner playing with the family pet. That's me!

You could be onto something, oskarandri. I really like to be around animals.

(And I used to have a couple of budgerigars, too.)

I always felt like my terrier was the only one that ever really understood me. I got her when I was 16 and I was 29 when she died. I was devastated. Of course I was battling post-partum depression at the time; but seriously, that dog was my best friend.

Now I have another dog and I love him very much (got him in 2007). And while I am attached to him, I don't think it's to the same degree as when I had my other dog because I already have children and well, for me the family dog comes down a few notches once there are kids in the house. Still though, I know deep down I'd be devastated if something happened to him just the same.

I've always tried to never cry in front of people my whole life, but I was never able to hold back the tears when my pets have died. I've always been really sensitive to that.

When my cat Felix died I was devastated. He was the first pet that had ever been totally MINE. He saw me through losing a job, moving, and a crappy breakup of a 3 year relationship. He died of a blood parasite, I had to have him put to sleep. I cried and cried. I was more depressed than I was when any of my family members died (is that mean?)

I paid extra money to have him cremated and the remains returned to me. I bought him a pretty urn and keep it on my dresser.

I have never admitted this to anyone, so I hope you all don't think I'm too weird, but I found a necklace online that lets you keep a tiny bit of the cremains in it. You put them in there and seal it permanently. I have worn that necklace ever since he died. No one knows it has cremains in it, they just know I bought it when he died.

I have always been far more comfortable with animals than people. Any kind of animals really, horses, dogs, cats etc. Animals don't judge you or make fun of you. You don't need to 'read' animals to know if they like you.

I read a comic by and Aspie girl once that said she was always the one at a party who was off in a corner playing with the family pet. That's me!

That's me too! haha.
I like being with animals because I don't feel like I have to hide my autism like I do with people. They don't insist on eyecontact, don't mind stims and their behaviours are honest to how they're feeling. I volunteer in the canine ethology lab at my university and I love running around playing with the dogs. And I feel way more confident if I'm walking around with a dog than just on my own.

I'd really like to learn how to train autism therapy dogs.

When my cat Felix died I was devastated. He was the first pet that had ever been totally MINE. He saw me through losing a job, moving, and a crappy breakup of a 3 year relationship. He died of a blood parasite, I had to have him put to sleep. I cried and cried. I was more depressed than I was when any of my family members died (is that mean?)

I paid extra money to have him cremated and the remains returned to me. I bought him a pretty urn and keep it on my dresser.

I have never admitted this to anyone, so I hope you all don't think I'm too weird, but I found a necklace online that lets you keep a tiny bit of the cremains in it. You put them in there and seal it permanently. I have worn that necklace ever since he died. No one knows it has cremains in it, they just know I bought it when he died.

I've seen that jewelry before, and no I don't think that's too weird. (((hugs))) I'm sorry for your loss. I cried worse when my dog died than when relatives of mine passed away; I don't think it's mean. Our pets see us at our worst and help us through our greatest difficulties.

I definitely have a slightly abnormal love for animals too, in intensity. I think that it is because of what many people have already said, animals do not judge you and aren't as deceptive as humans are. They give you unconditional love and never really ask for anything in return. I also am typically the person who is off in the side of the house somewhere playing with one of the pets when at large gatherings. I typically am drawn to family pets, especially cats, when I see them. I typically feel like even ignoring people and going straight to the pet. I really love cats, they are probably my favorite animals.

I'm not sure I'd say an abnormal "love", but perhaps an abnormal connection. I've always been able to tell what most animals are wanting or needing, the same way a mother can tell why her baby is crying. People have always commented on it, and it just seems obvious to me but extraordinary to them. I said not love, because I think of it more as a respect for animals...some of them get on my nerves, as I dislike being licked or jumped on, and certain barks, howls, etc are sensory issues. Overall, I think they are far easier to understand than most people...I think it has to do with a lack of things like pride, deception, shame, gossip, etc.

I have always been a cat lover. I've had my current cat, Miss Kitty, for 10 years. People always comment on how attached Miss Kitty is to me. I absolutely adore her. I love taking pictures of her and bragging about her much like a mother would over her child. I will be devastated when Miss Kitty passes away.

LoL. My friend has a lab mix named Maxim and whenever I come over my friend introduces me as "Maxim's best friend". She likes to have social gatherings a lot, and I don't really like those but I would go sometimes because I felt I should. And then I'd get there and run around with Max, half the time on my knees and barking and laughing and being wild, ignoring all the other guests.

I have a border collie psychiatric service dog. I've had him about 12 years now, long before I knew about aspergers. In the past year I have started leaving him at home because its getting harder for him. My meds seem to get me through the day and I know he is waiting for me at home - although now HE seems depressed from being left alone too much.

Sometimes I wonder if he actually loves me.. or is just with me out of fear, or because I feed him. But then I remember.. I was separated from him for a year or so when he was about 5 or 6 and when I came back to get him he practically did back flips of hysterical joy and jumped right in my car to ride away with me. LoL.

I wonder sometimes if its unwise to get a pet that we could bond so closely with, knowing that they die before us and how much we will be hurt by their loss.

I just bought a budgie this week. It didn't eat the first 2 days but is eating now. It doesn't move around much and I haven't seen it drink any water. I am hoping it will relax soon and not keel over dead. I had a budgie when I was a teenager but I don't remember it being like this. Maybe I just didn't notice or thought it was normal.

I have always loved animals more than people. I love almost every animal (ok not a big fan of arthropods) and dislike almost every human, after I have known them for enough time. I have a panther tattoo on my back and a killer whale tattoo on my arm (thats related, right?):wtf:

I feel a very strong bond with animals. I'd love to get a job working with animals because they're such sweet creatures.

I think ASDs have a closer bond to animals, because of the medically defined lack in social development, making bonds to animals relatively closer, as many ASDs cannot define social relationships well. I don't know whether this is indeed true, actually.

Last edited:
autistic people love animals, and the reason why autistic people love animals so much is because we have a problem interpreting people's expressions and tone of voice and taking social cues, and we have a hard time understanding the motives behind people's actions.
for instance, a person can claim he really likes you when he wants something from you, or when he wants you to put your guard down. no such problems with animals. a dog/cat isn't going to pretend they like you because they want something. if all they want is food, they let you know that. they sit in front of the refrigerator and stare at it. after they eat, they leave. so you know what you're dealing with.
people look like actors to me. they just dont seem real because they hide their true feelings.
and animals love autistic people, too. and there's nothing abnormal about that. animals prefer us aspies according to this blog Galit Garcia Books: Do autistic people love animals?

I am probably one of the few aspies that don't like animals. I don't connect with them. I like cute pictures of animals, I feel bad for any animal that is hurt, I will cry if one dies. But I don't want them touching me, I don't want them in my space, and I can't take of them. If they are I feel resentful and hostile. I grew up with pets, my dad would get them and then we were expected to take care of them. But we weren't ready for that responsibility. My parents were very inconsistant with thier expectations, so it was confusing for us to know what we were supposed to do. Then when I lived with my grandma, she spoiled the animals, like if we went somewhere to eat, she would stop at mcdonalds on the way home and get a burger for the dog. I had to share a bed with my grandma and she would put food in the bed for the dog and cat in case they got hungy in the night, not just dog and cat food, but pieces of hamburger or ham. My grandma would call me selfish if I didn't give the dog a piece of my food, even if it was chocolate. I would tell her that it was poison for the dog and she would say it is just a little bit. She would say all the time that the animals were the only ones that loved her. This hurt alot. We had two dogs here, one was very rambunctious and now and then it would chew up my stuffed animals including the first one my boyfriend got for me, he did it rarely. He was also very large and difficult to control. The other dog we had was very submissive and didn't get into things, but she was very old and she ended up having seizures toward the end rather frequently. It was horrible to see her go through that and not be able to do anything for her but wait till it was done and clean up the mess, then always worried about another one. It was devastating when they died, and I don't understand going through that again. When they want to be near me and cuddle up with me, it doesn't feel like affection it feels like an invasion. The dog we have now is very heavy, all muscle. After seeing him eat poop when he first came here, I don't want him licking even my hand. Also people keep using it as an example of why I shouldn't have children, or why I shouldn't be around their child.

New Threads

Top Bottom