• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disabled and Non-disabled

Rich - you're obviously a smart, capable guy. I have no doubt you would do well in some kind of job. What kinds of things do you like? What are your talents and abilities? Your best interview/job application will be in a field that you do well in because you can explain why you want that particular job, your qualifications, and why you'd be a dependable employee. I know you only through your postings here but you seem gregarious, people-oriented, articulate and educated which are qualities favored by prospective employers.

Please forgive me for sounding "preachy" but as a self-employed professional for over 30 years, I've hired - and fired - many people in my lifetime. I prefer to hire people who value their job because they will show up for work on time, not make flimsy excuses for failing to perform their jobs, will take personal responsibility for their successes and failures, don't create conflict within the office with other employees, are honest truth-tellers, and possess or quickly learn the skills needed for the job. I've found that handicapped and/or elderly retired people, who possess or can learn the necessary skills for the job, often make the BEST employees because they value their jobs. Try to convey this in your next job interview! Be upfront and honest about your diagnosis, explain your strengths and weaknesses if asked, stress that you are capable of doing the job and would appreciate the job more than other applicants, and therefore would be a good employee. Be sure to look well-groomed and don't bite off more than you can chew! Don't interview for a nuclear scientist job if you aren't a nuclear scientist. Consider that you might make a great office courier, errand runner, handyman, file clerk, computer archivist, parking lot attendant - or whatever is within your abilities - for that same nuclear science employer. Look at law, accounting and engineering firms, universities, even banking institutions, for those types of jobs.

Here in the US, it is illegal to discriminate against the disabled or elderly but those laws are virtually unenforceable because most states have adopted what are called "employment at will" laws. The law says that employees work at the will of the employer. In general, employers can fire anyone at any time for any reason, without explanation or legal justification and it's nearly impossible for the fired employee to successfully sue for illegal discrimination, let alone find an attorney willing to take the case because attorneys know these are lost causes under our legal system.

Keep on trying - I think you have the ability to get a job!

Don't you think they use too many labels already? Who gets to decide who is who,if it isn't already confusing enough. I have been on this forum for quite a while,and I see flaws in using the term high functioning,because there are many here that I would consider far less.

Every human being,either neurotypical or on the autism spectrum has deficits,but can you really sort them all out and place them into tiny little compartments?

As a former employer,I always asked the questions I needed to know in order to decide who got the job and who was sent packing.If you came to me requesting employment and showed me up front that you had deficits that could hinder your performance doing my tasks,then no,I would tell you to move along. There is where having a label will hurt some in gaining employment.

I get what you are saying,but at the same time feel it is necessary to observe all sides of an issue so the outcome can be more readily predicted.

I think labels are unhelpful for many reasons, particularly because they are so often wrong, or at least, open to debate. If a diagnosis helps you access help that you would not otherwise receive, then that is good. I don't really bother to think about it more than that... I see labels as an NT construct, designed to help NTs.

Last edited:
Rich - you're obviously a smart, capable guy. I have no doubt you would do well in some kind of job. What kinds of things do you like? What are your talents and abilities? Your best interview/job application will be in a field that you do well in because you can explain why you want that particular job, your qualifications, and why you'd be a dependable employee. I know you only through your postings here but you seem gregarious, people-oriented, articulate and educated which are qualities favored by prospective employers.

Please forgive me for sounding "preachy" but as a self-employed professional for over 30 years, I've hired - and fired - many people in my lifetime. I prefer to hire people who value their job because they will show up for work on time, not make flimsy excuses for failing to perform their jobs, will take personal responsibility for their successes and failures, don't create conflict within the office with other employees, are honest truth-tellers, and possess or quickly learn the skills needed for the job. I've found that handicapped and/or elderly retired people, who possess or can learn the necessary skills for the job, often make the BEST employees because they value their jobs. Try to convey this in your next job interview! Be upfront and honest about your diagnosis, explain your strengths and weaknesses if asked, stress that you are capable of doing the job and would appreciate the job more than other applicants, and therefore would be a good employee. Be sure to look well-groomed and don't bite off more than you can chew! Don't interview for a nuclear scientist job if you aren't a nuclear scientist. Consider that you might make a great office courier, errand runner, handyman, file clerk, computer archivist, parking lot attendant - or whatever is within your abilities - for that same nuclear science employer. Look at law, accounting and engineering firms, universities, even banking institutions, for those types of jobs.

Here in the US, it is illegal to discriminate against the disabled or elderly but those laws are virtually unenforceable because most states have adopted what are called "employment at will" laws. The law says that employees work at the will of the employer. In general, employers can fire anyone at any time for any reason, without explanation or legal justification and it's nearly impossible for the fired employee to successfully sue for illegal discrimination, let alone find an attorney willing to take the case because attorneys know these are lost causes under our legal system.

Keep on trying - I think you have the ability to get a job!

I hope you realise what a level-headed, forward thinking and rare employer you are! Maybe I am being unjust and there are many more like you out there... but that simply hasn't been my experience. In interview situations, the prospective employer (or more often, someone from Admin/HR who's there to sift out the wasters) can't seem to help missing the very qualities you have highlighted, and jumping to same old conclusions... Well done you!

you are being judged by how you present or how you phone/write to the shop probably so your autism and quite possibly your age coupled with your lack of paid work history may play a part in this and it shows how discriminatory the working world can be,autists traditionally struggle with interviews if they get that far [i think in the UK they have to give an interview to people who tick the disabled box].
ive heard sainsburys is pretty good for hiring autistic and/or intellectually disabled people, have you tried them? i dont know how true that is but one of my support staff used to work for them in manchester and told me it was a regular thing in her sainsburys.
my sister is aspie and she got a part time job with ASDA although she has a good work history so that can help.

That "2 ticks" thing is a complete waste of time IMO, because contrary to what it says, it actually DOESN'T guarantee an interview, only if you meet the criteria.

I've applied for Council positions and all sorts under that scheme and not got an interview, they keep saying I don't meet the criteria!

Meh, I tried! Daily Fail = bite me.

Then there is me

Your topic striked right to me.
But also I want to raise the other side of it to discuss.
I graduated the school and the university - and I was constantly aware due to having a friend who went just a year behind me in studying (both: the same school and the same university) - I KNEW for certain that I wouldn't pulled through in the same grade as she learnt.
If I started my education just one year later (and there was a great discussion back then - because I did not pass all the nesessary tests and my first teacher stepped in and covered that) - I just wouldn't be able to jump through everchanging social and legal demands to standarts of children' education.
It terrified me every year to hear out my friend's talking about her given tasks, tests and assignments - and to realise that this sort of pressure would have broken and squished me flat for certain.

WOuld it not make more sense to have a third category of nonfuntional autistics of any kind? Instead of all this "Funtional Apsie, disabled aspie, nondisabled autie, disabled autie."

Well the whole idea of a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Condition is to access help for difficulties the person experiences. A diagnosis, most of the time, would only be given out if their life is being impeded by autistic elements. Whilst it doesn't always feel to have a professional outline your problems, things that might stay with you all your life, it's important to find ways to cope with these things and that's why they focus on them. If you have a diagnosis of autism then you should - at least at the stage of receiving the diagnosis - have some disabling element of it in your life. Otherwise it's like wanting to get access to an exclusive club, some people may just like having it as a description for themselves and nothing more, which isn't really the idea behind it.

We all (should) have disability elements in our lives to warrant that diagnosis. Being in a category that says you're 'functioning' is helpful to anyone really.

New Threads

Top Bottom