• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

did anyone else ever think people could see when your favourite colour was changing?

beatrix haxby

i don't really have it anymore but i remember being so sensitive i felt like i a chameleon, all the colours around me making all these different impressions on me and i felt like everyone else could see

My reactions to colours change too. It is hard to choose clothing, because a colour which is very appealing one week may make me feel nauseated the next, and be completely unbearable. Sometimes for example, one blue is okay, while a similar shade of blue is very difficult to tolerate as feeling too sad, or too acidic. I also avoid places which are too colourful, because it feels like an assault of too many emotions and senses at once. I know that others pick up on my discomfort, but they find it absurd if I say the colors bother me.

Not exactly but I feel like I understand what you mean.

My favorite color is rainbow. Specifically 5-6 colors Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue (Purple optional) in that order, not mixed together. Like my avatar. I don't like to see them mixed up or weird colors added, it feels too chaotic.

I also feel like each day of the week has its own color.

As for clothing, I prefer to wear black, lol.

When I was 12 it used to take me quite awhile to pick out my clothes to wear to school.
Half an hour standing in front of the open closet.
Finally I decided that if I wore a skirt I didn't like much, then I couldn't be disappointed or feel weird at school.
So I started wearing the same wool brown skirt, a white blouse, and a pale green sweater.
I thought of myself as a tree when I dressed that way.
And it was like nobody could hurt me.
I didn't want to have to pick out clothes of different colors.

Now as a grown person, my mother no longer picks out my clothes for me, so I can wear colors
that are my choice. Mostly I choose dark blue or black.
Black is especially good. It is not distracting.
I don't wear plaid, checks, or print.

Nobody can tell when a color is creeping me out.*
Only I know.
So I don't wear colors/patterns that bother me.

Even though my mother used to say that she knew what I was thinking.
That is pretty freaky for a little kid. Like your head is transparent.
My head was not transparent then and it isn't now.

i don't really have it anymore but i remember being so sensitive i felt like i a chameleon, all the colours around me making all these different impressions on me and i felt like everyone else could see
Yup. I hope I understand you right, but I had the same experience and I was SHOCKED when my mum had no idea of my calming colour and my horror colour. She had no idea my most beloved time as an 11yo was watching the changing colour optic fibre lamp. I thought it was crystal clear to her and others. That's when I realised I am pretty much invisible to others. Recently, I think of myself as a clear prism that filters sunlight and creates a spectrum others can see.

I'm not sure too many people actually feel colour through their senses other than vision. Even then, it is just a colour...To me, it is a nutrient that affects me as much as food.

Yep some colours/patterns either freak me out or disgust me. When I was small, my school didn't have uniform. So in my first class my mum bought me a collection of party dresses and outfit sets. I liked most of them but one had a cream background paisley design that just creeped me out so much, I like paisley but this dress was just hideous to me. So I threw it in the back of the wardrobe. My mum found it at the end of the school year and was angry that I had hidden it, and said I had to wear it as it would be too small soon. I refused but she said I had to. So I put it on and sat near my baby sister, who was only a few months old and enjoying some nappy free time. Projectile baby poo all over the offending dress, dress permanently ruined. :D

I used to be OBSESSED with color. Actually, I still kind of am. I used to dress only in one color, only eat food a certain color... Now, I am a hair dresser and makeup artist and master color correction. Other people I work with have to grab the color wheel and look at it before they perform a CC service but I don't. My brain automatically knows what toner I need to use to correct any given color. I can also tell which shade is different when shown swatched that are almost identical.

New Threads

Top Bottom