• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Deciding on which job to take

Robby

Hey everyone so after trying and trying I finally have a couple of job prospects lined up. The first is a roadside assistance dispatcher. I'm really good over the phone, and they were very nice during my interview. I shadowed another dispatcher and listened as she took calls, and it didn't seem too difficult. I'm really good over the phone and a strong communicator, sometimes I have some trouble with auditory processing, but this job wouldn't involve face to face contact with the general public, only over the phone, so that helps decrease my anxiety somewhat. The job itself is physically easy, sitting in a cubicle all day. Vocational Rehab helped me get the interview there, through a contact they had, so I also feel like if I ran into any issues with needing more time to learn the job, they might have my back. It will be full time and pay around 10 dollars per hour. I'm supposed to start in two weeks. So that's option 1.

Option 2 is a fulfillment associate at Amazon. There's two warehouses in my town, and I'd be at the smaller of the two. I've already gone through the background check and drug test. Basically it would be a picker or stower job. I think it's direct hire but not entirely sure about that yet. Anyway they want me to come in for orientation in 2 days. I've heard horror stories about Amazon, but the money would be good, would be full time. But not the ideal environment. And it's very high turnover rate there but I've never worked there before so no idea how I would like it.

So I have a decision to make. There are pros and cons to both for me. I am only mildly autistic, and very high functioning. I think the dispatch job would be good if I can get the hang of it. Once I tried a receptionist job and it was just completely overwhelming and so high on multi tasking that I couldnt do it. But I gave up too fast on that one I think. So should I go with the dispatch, or try Amazon? I have a strong work ethic, communications skills, my weaknesss are auditory processing, multi tasking (suck at that). I tend to do one or two things at once very well.

Just want to make sure I make the right decision. As of now, since the Amazon orientation is scheduled before my dispatch job starts, I think I'll go to it and just feel it out, and if I don't like it, I'll just start the dispatch job.

Hey everyone so after trying and trying I finally have a couple of job prospects lined up. The first is a roadside assistance dispatcher. I'm really good over the phone, and they were very nice during my interview. I shadowed another dispatcher and listened as she took calls, and it didn't seem too difficult. I'm really good over the phone and a strong communicator, sometimes I have some trouble with auditory processing, but this job wouldn't involve face to face contact with the general public, only over the phone, so that helps decrease my anxiety somewhat. The job itself is physically easy, sitting in a cubicle all day. Vocational Rehab helped me get the interview there, through a contact they had, so I also feel like if I ran into any issues with needing more time to learn the job, they might have my back. It will be full time and pay around 10 dollars per hour. I'm supposed to start in two weeks. So that's option 1.

Option 2 is a fulfillment associate at Amazon. There's two warehouses in my town, and I'd be at the smaller of the two. I've already gone through the background check and drug test. Basically it would be a picker or stower job. I think it's direct hire but not entirely sure about that yet. Anyway they want me to come in for orientation in 2 days. I've heard horror stories about Amazon, but the money would be good, would be full time. But not the ideal environment. And it's very high turnover rate there but I've never worked there before so no idea how I would like it.

So I have a decision to make. There are pros and cons to both for me. I am only mildly autistic, and very high functioning. I think the dispatch job would be good if I can get the hang of it. Once I tried a receptionist job and it was just completely overwhelming and so high on multi tasking that I couldnt do it. But I gave up too fast on that one I think. So should I go with the dispatch, or try Amazon? I have a strong work ethic, communications skills, my weaknesss are auditory processing, multi tasking (suck at that). I tend to do one or two things at once very well.

Just want to make sure I make the right decision. As of now, since the Amazon orientation is scheduled before my dispatch job starts, I think I'll go to it and just feel it out, and if I don't like it, I'll just start the dispatch job.
Well that's great news! Congratulations!

Remember that money is not your goal at this point. Your goal is work experience. Amazon has a "chew you up and spit you out reputation." I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll! It would be personal hell for me. I think VocRehab found a good job for you that you were able to get a sampling of. You also have VocRehab as an intermediary to help you out. The dispatch job is now more of a known entity than Amazon. I fear the atmosphere at Amazon could deal you a confidence blow. Consider calling the Amazon folks back, thanking them for their time, and explain something else came up.

It doesn't mean that you are unable, just wade into employment rather than plunge in. Going to Amazon will be like be like learning to swim when you haven't learned to walk yet. Trust me, I speak from experience. Last summer, I was twice hospitalized. It wasn't until October that I was ready to search for work. I finally landed work in November which needed some training. Finally, on Jan. 19th of this year I started working at about 15-20 hours per week. Even just that little was enough to exhaust me, question my self esteem, and question my competence. I worked my way gradually to full time over the next month and a half and my confidence grew. If I had bang started at full time, I probably would be headed back to the hospital.

In the first few weeks of working 15-20 hours per week, come the weekend, all I wanted to do was sleep. It will be different for you, Robby. My advice is to make it easy on yourself and set yourself up for success. If you think you'll do well at the dispatch job. my guess is that you will.

I agree with Wanderer, it sounds like the dispatch job is your best bet. I haven't heard anything good about big warehouse type entities such as Amazon, and you already said yourself it wouldn't be an ideal environment. Going from being unemployed to having a job its crucial that, if you have options to pick from like you do, that you find the right fit for you. It doesn't matter how much you make if you're stressed out and overwhelmed all day and come home exhausted and miserable. The dispatch job sounds like a good fit for you right now, plus you have the vocational rehab people that got you the job as well at your back if you take that job. If you decide you want something that's more challenging and makes more money later on you can move onto another job, of course. But it sounds like the dispatch job has the opportunity to develop the confidence and scripting skills with customers/clients/coworkers that you might need in another job if you were to switch in the future.

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely going to go with the dispatcher job. I'll be making around 10 dollars per hour, so decent enough money for full time so would be making around 400 per week before taxes. About 1700 dollars per month give or take, before taxes. That's not terrible pay, for a job where I sit all day. I'd be working 8 hours a day, that's not terrible. I'd make enough to make a new car payment, plus paying some on my student loans, and leaving me enough left over for every day things. Plus I'm living with a family member now so I save on rent. But as soon as possible once I get into the groove of things I want to move on my own and find a small apartment of my own.

I liked that the dispatch company gave me an actual interview too, brought me in, sat down with me face to face, and let me shadow a worker taking calls. They have training and it's a very nice environment or seems to be. And Voc Rehab helped me get the interview, so I feel more secure with them in my corner regarding this job. I've passed my drug and background checks, now just waiting for my start date for training. I feel that also the work environment is better for me as far as not being thrown into a loud, raucous environment where it's pretty much dog eat dog. Maybe I'd like Amazon who knows but my gut is telling me the dispatch place. I am of course a little nervous about learning the stuff as far as the scripts, but I know I am capable and could catch on if I stick it out.

Being comfortable in what you do is an underrated experience. I hate how society pushes us ever harder to an artificial goal of success. I don't define success by money any more. Success is being able to hold down a job with honesty and integrity.

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely going to go with the dispatcher job. I'll be making around 10 dollars per hour, so decent enough money for full time so would be making around 400 per week before taxes. About 1700 dollars per month give or take, before taxes. That's not terrible pay, for a job where I sit all day. I'd be working 8 hours a day, that's not terrible. I'd make enough to make a new car payment, plus paying some on my student loans, and leaving me enough left over for every day things. Plus I'm living with a family member now so I save on rent. But as soon as possible once I get into the groove of things I want to move on my own and find a small apartment of my own.

I liked that the dispatch company gave me an actual interview too, brought me in, sat down with me face to face, and let me shadow a worker taking calls. They have training and it's a very nice environment or seems to be. And Voc Rehab helped me get the interview, so I feel more secure with them in my corner regarding this job. I've passed my drug and background checks, now just waiting for my start date for training. I feel that also the work environment is better for me as far as not being thrown into a loud, raucous environment where it's pretty much dog eat dog. Maybe I'd like Amazon who knows but my gut is telling me the dispatch place. I am of course a little nervous about learning the stuff as far as the scripts, but I know I am capable and could catch on if I stick it out.
Wise decision, Robby! Congratulations and keep us in the loop! We're here to cheer you on.

Thanks I will. I am a little nervous about being able to learn how to take the calls properly, but I have good communications skills and conversing ability, just sometimes have a little trouble with auditory processing and multi tasking but I am hoping they will allow me time to learn things as long as I am on time and serious which I always am.

Thanks I will. I am a little nervous about being able to learn how to take the calls properly, but I have good communications skills and conversing ability, just sometimes have a little trouble with auditory processing and multi tasking but I am hoping they will allow me time to learn things as long as I am on time and serious which I always am.
I'll tell you a secret, man. They want to work with you and want you to succeed. There is a good chance this company is getting a tax break for hiring you and VocRehab might be paying a portion of your wages.

They lose the benefits if you don't succeed or worse, they face discrimination lawsuits.

I feel that also the work environment is better for me as far as not being thrown into a loud, raucous environment where it's pretty much dog eat dog. Maybe I'd like Amazon who knows but my gut is telling me the dispatch place.

I've read nothing but bad things about Amazon. Unless you routinely like pushing yourself beyond your means mentally and physically. Not a work environment I'd recommend to most anyone on- or off the spectrum.

Good point, although I don't think Voc Rehab is formally involved in this one persay, because the lady who recruited me knows the lady at Voc Rehab and it was just like a contact type thing so not sure if it's directly involved or not, but still good to have them in my corner.

Yea the money would be pretty good at Amazon, but a little concerned it might be too much too soon for someone like myself who hasn't worked in a long time. And I doubt I'd have any support system at all there I mean their turnover rate must be huge they're always hiring. I hate to turn it down without even trying it first, but I hear all these horror stories and since i have the dispatch job already set up, I'll just go with that anyway.

I've read nothing but bad things about Amazon. Unless you routinely like pushing yourself beyond your means mentally and physically. Not a work environment I'd recommend to most anyone on- or off the spectrum.
Judge, if I had to work at Amazon, I'd either go postal or monkeyshit crazy.

Yea the money would be pretty good at Amazon, but a little concerned it might be too much too soon for someone like myself who hasn't worked in a long time. And I doubt I'd have any support system at all there I mean their turnover rate must be huge they're always hiring. I hate to turn it down without even trying it first, but I hear all these horror stories and since i have the dispatch job already set up, I'll just go with that anyway.
Smart man!

I am thinking of trying Toyota when I am eligible to apply again early next year, I hear they treat people a lot better than Amazon and they pay like 16.00 an hour. I'll try the dispatch and see how it goes. Still thinking of at least going to the amazon orientation just to feel it out and see what it's like.

I am thinking of trying Toyota when I am eligible to apply again early next year, I hear they treat people a lot better than Amazon and they pay like 16.00 an hour. I'll try the dispatch and see how it goes. Still thinking of at least going to the amazon orientation just to feel it out and see what it's like.

The only job orientation I had was in which we were trained for the job. Is that what this orientation is for? Even if its not, I would think even showing up expresses an interest in the job so if you don't plan on taking the job anyways why lead them on like that. Especially if its a job training orientation.

Well, you can do that if you'd like but I wouldn't recommend it.

It was a little weird when I went to interview at Amazon they just take your picture and put you in a group and swab your mouth sent it off for a drug test and have you pick a shift time and never interview you one on one. Just shows they will hire anyone but it's not a job most want to do long term anyway. A company that hires people without even interviewing you one on one makes me uncomfortable.

I think this is direct hire, and not through the temp agency, but I'm still not sure on that. Having never worked in a warehouse or for Amazon I can't say if I'd like it or not, but the high turnover rate says something I guess. I just want my decision on my first real job to pan out for me, and not crash and burn. Awhile back I went for a receptionist job at a small doctor's office because the doctor liked me so well he offered me the chance to come do on the job training. While I do have a fun personality, the receptionist thing was a disaster because it was just way too much coming at me at once. People checking in, taking payments, helping someone pick orthopedic shoes out, and answering phones, scanning and sorting papers, all at once. I left after two hours.

Granted I probably should have stuck it out longer but it made me realize I am not ready for receptionist work right now, I am not a multi tasker especially with the general public coming at you like with a receptionist.

The dispatch job is much different in that I'm just in a cubicle with a headset and computer, so not the stress of dealing with general public or handling payments it felt more manageable to me, still involves people but over the phone so not nearly as bad as the receptionist job. I still think overall I'd prefer the dispatch to warehouse work provided I can handle the work and they give me time to learn.

It was a little weird when I went to interview at Amazon they just take your picture and put you in a group and swab your mouth sent it off for a drug test and have you pick a shift time and never interview you one on one. Just shows they will hire anyone but it's not a job most want to do long term anyway. A company that hires people without even interviewing you one on one makes me uncomfortable.

This is how I got my first job ever, at Walmart. They called me back for an interview but instead of interviewing me, they literally sat me down with paperwork and told me I would need to do a drug test at a specific place within 48 hours or I would no longer be eligible for the job. No interview at all! They treat their employees with the same 'chew you up and spit you out' attitude so you're quite expendable. IMO if they don't even give you an interview, that says that they don't care who they hire. In my opinion, places with such hiring practices likely attract undesirable employees - the sorts of people nobody else would hire or those with no job experience to go on. Furthermore, if they don't care who they hire to begin with, why would they care about how they treat you once your hired.

I just watch these videos and it just seems SO stressful picking, not sure what job they'd give me, but the scanner thing they give you and having to get certain rates, I don't mind the physical part so much, it's the rate thing that's a bit nerve racking. I think I'm going to just do the dispatch job I mean Amazon is always hiring anyway so I could always try there again in future if I had to. I also applied at UPS for a package handler, although that would only be part time and I have to have something full time to pay all the expenses. I also think UPS treats their employees better than Amazon, I am not sure if they have the same rate and points system for warehouse workers. I'm going to think about it for another day, before I decide if I even want to go to the Amazon orientation, but the dispatch job is for a company that is pretty reputable and they treated me quite well when I went there for my interview. I think that alone says a lot. Of course there will be assholes everywhere, but Amazon just freaks me out with all the stories you hear, and their ridiculously strict policy on rates and points even if you're sick or something. Especially as a mild aspie.

My work counselor told me that I need to train myself to just be more confident. She said give it all you got, but not to be afraid to ask questions, or to ask for more time if you need help with something. That's another reason I am going to go with the dispatch job it seemed like an environment where you can get help if needed and all you do is sit all day in an office. If I can learn how to handle the calls effectively, I'll be good I think. This will be my first full time job so I am excited and anxious both. But not nearly as much as in the past. I know I have a lot to offer, and if the employer is willing to teach and train me and be patient I think I'll be fine.

I would maybe do Amazon in a pinch, but after all I've read and seed, it just seems really high stress and not something I'd want to do for months let alone years. The dispatch thing, perhaps, might give me some security and stability though.

New Threads

Top Bottom