• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cure for boredom?

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
So... the last few days have been really boring for myself. Even the people whom I have been talking to on MSN are bored. Maybe it's because it's summer?

I tried getting back into gaming recently. I played a few games of Call of Duty before switching the Playstation 3 off. I played some MGS: PW on the PSP but only got past the tutorial mission before going back onto the PC. There hasn't been many people online today so things have been going slow. Those who are online, I don't really know what to talk about with them. I have been more social online lately but I still manage to get bored afterwards.

I have a Blu-ray movie which I still haven't watched despite buying it months ago. I suppose I could watch that but I'm not really sure if I could be bothered. I haven't went outside much in the last week either. There just seems to be very little motivation with me lately. I seem to be almost controlled by the computer as I am spending more and more time on it. Maybe I'm afraid of missing something? I'm always checking Facebook, the forums and MSN to see what's going on and hoping someone will come online that I can talk to.

What about everyone else? Have you been bored recently? What do you do when you're bored?

My summer has been very boring. I find myself sitting at my computer waiting for something to happen. I can only play video games for 5-10 minutes before I get bored with them. Not sure what to do with myself. I have a few new books to read, but I can't be motivated to read them.

My cure for boredom would be gaming and it always has been, but when I was at college, I didn't barely have any time for gaming and I would just be stuck on the forums just entertaining myself and just watch some YouTube videos.

Sometimes, I'd be stuck on my PSP playing some games, its only today that I've figured out how to play PSP on from the your memory card and I'm actually pleased that it worked out pretty well.

I did it legally through the PSP store from the playstation website.

Sometimes, I'd be stuck on my PSP playing some games, its only today that I've figured out how to play PSP on from the your memory card and I'm actually pleased that it worked out pretty well.

You need to get a PS3 then we can play online games together! Oh and I just remembered recently that the PSP has Skype. Epic win! :D

You need to get a PS3 then we can play online games together! Oh and I just remembered recently that the PSP has Skype. Epic win! :D

Oh yea, lol... I just remembered that aswell, I actually got a built in mic with my one, maybe we could do that on there someday, but I can't text or type a message though, that's the sucky thing about it... I haven't been on there since I upgraded the firmware, I wonder if there is a text feature now?

I haven't been on there since I upgraded the firmware, I wonder if there is a text feature now?

No idea tbh. Haven't used my PSP in ages. I did a firmware update to the one that came with my game but apparently that isn't even the latest version. So looks like I will need to do a further update. Yeah, mine has the built in mic too. We should do a Skype chat using PSPs sometime soon. :D

No idea tbh. Haven't used my PSP in ages. I did a firmware update to the one that came with my game but apparently that isn't even the latest version. So looks like I will need to do a further update. Yeah, mine has the built in mic too. We should do a Skype chat using PSPs sometime soon. :D

Cool, then we got the latest PSP, although it is pretty much unhackable and the latest firmware is 6.30, the best thing about PSP's now is that you can actually play your games and buy them from the Playstation store.

Good idea with skype. :)

Summer here has been rather boring too. Most of the activities that we could and can do, we can't due to the insane crowds of people plus the tourist population. At least there is my bicycle.

Still bored...

I will admit I have one thing I need to do put I keep putting it off lol.

windows-mobile-65.jpg

^^ This... :D My phone runs this software.

Calvert, it sounds more like mild depression than pure boredom to me. Getting outside during the day, going for walks, spending time with your friends, that should help. The thing about mild depression is that you don't necessarily even realize that you have it.

My daughter is 21 months old but has decided to hit the terrible twos a little early. It takes her approx 5 minutes to get bored. She needs to get out and meet new people and run around and be entertained all the time. Which is often at odds with what I want to do, but she has figured out that whoever screams loudest gets to decide the activity.

Calvert, it sounds more like mild depression than pure boredom to me. Getting outside during the day, going for walks, spending time with your friends, that should help. The thing about mild depression is that you don't necessarily even realize that you have it.

Spending time with my friends seems to help a lot. Problem is, I'm always wanting to spend more time with them because when I'm not with them I get bored/feel down. I think you may be right about the mild depression. I do have different things to do but just don't seem to be motivated to do anything unless I'm going outside with friends.

I went out yesterday with my brother and a friend to the cinema. I had a great time and was generally happy being in their company even if I don't talk much. Today I insisted to my brother that we should go out again. He responded like "You were already out yesterday and we're going out again tomorrow. What more do you want?". What I want is to get out of my bedroom that I spend so much time in and go socialize with people. I want to socialize as much as I can because I spent a lot of my life choosing to stay indoors and be by myself.

I have also noticed that even if I just go outside by myself then it seems to cheer me up. Having something to keep me occupied also helps.

Which is often at odds with what I want to do, but she has figured out that whoever screams loudest gets to decide the activity.

That bit made me smile. I remember being like that myself when I was younger.

Hm maybe it's time to discover your next special interest? I get bored/ depressed when I don't have some sort of project/ obsession on the go. If I can't get out of the funk I'll commit to something I can't easily bail out of... like a volunteer job. I've been helping my prof with research and now I'm training dogs to find endangered species! It is stressful but in the best way possible. Signing up for some overseas program, as terrifying as it might sound, is excellent too. Pretty much passion/ giving a **** about something + new & stimulating environment = cure to boredom/ mild depression.

Calvert, the fact that you are enjoying going out, enjoying the company of your friends, is a good indication that you are only mildly depressed. You are finding less pleasure in your solitary pursuits, which seems to be masquerading as boredom, and this is an indicator of mild depression, Fresh air, exercise, sunlight, and social interaction are the best remedies at this stage. If you are having negative thoughts as well then you need to find something to distract you from that, or someone to talk to about them, but since you haven't mentioned it I asume that you are doing okay in that regard.

Now might be a good time to start a thread on your "voyage of discovery" regarding your changing religious beliefs. That would be a good disctraction for you, something to focus on.

Seriously, if you have something interesting and fun to focus on for a while, chances are that before you know it the boredom/mild depression will have simply gone away all by itself.

Now might be a good time to start a thread on your "voyage of discovery" regarding your changing religious beliefs. That would be a good disctraction for you, something to focus on.

That sounds like a good idea, I will start a thread on that very soon. I think it would make a for a rather interesting discussion but hopefully it won't descend into an argument. You know what people are like about this sort of thing.

That sounds like a good idea, I will start a thread on that very soon. I think it would make a for a rather interesting discussion but hopefully it won't descend into an argument. You know what people are like about this sort of thing.

Yes, I know. But those who are disruptive are easily ignored. Those who contribute wisely are worth replying to. Those who contribute nothing but ignorance are best ignored. I always find religion threads interesting, those who are obnoxious about it are merely showing their true colours anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom