• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could I sign up for a level 1 games design course at local College?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Enquired about a level 1 games design and creative media course at Sheffield College via their website earlier, it says on the course blurb that it's for "school leavers" with a Million GCSEs, therefore at 41 and having failed everything 2 Million years ago, could I still get on this course as a "mature student"?!

I am really interested in the subject you see, only downside is that the majority of game design software such as Unity, requires either a Windows PC or a Mac, neither of which I have, my PC is a Chromebook.

They'll have an entry level.for everyone if you can prove you can fill that level you would be allowed but i have know idea what teenagers are taught now

They'll have an entry level.for everyone if you can prove you can fill that level you would be allowed but i have know idea what teenagers are taught now

Well given that it's just over 25 years since I left school at 16, neither do I!

I did fill in an enquiry form on the website this morning asking them to ring me at my Parents', but they're yet to do that.

I imagine they would turn you down due to your age. Just based on them saying "school leavers", I think it is wrong. I get similar here too.

I imagine they would turn you down due to your age. Just based on them saying "school leavers", I think it is wrong. I get similar here too.

Going back to vocational school decades after getting a university degree was interesting. I was one of two forty-somethings in a room filled with kids from 18 to 22. But on our side of the pond age isn't an issue when it comes to education. If you can pass the entrance exams and can pay the tuition, you're in.

When the tech school asked me to be the graduating class valedictorian, I turned them down. Told them to let one of the kids do it. A much bigger thrill for them, apart from my loathing such rituals and already having two college degrees and another vocational certificate at the time.

Legally they can't do that, at least I don't think they can.

If Labour had got in 2 weeks ago with their promises of free Uni places, I would've considered doing a Uni course at Sheffield Hallam, even at my age.

I wonder if there
Topic.

Enquired about a level 1 games design and creative media course at Sheffield College via their website earlier, it says on the course blurb that it's for "school leavers" with a Million GCSEs, therefore at 41 and having failed everything 2 Million years ago, could I still get on this course as a "mature student"?!

I am really interested in the subject you see, only downside is that the majority of game design software such as Unity, requires either a Windows PC or a Mac, neither of which I have, my PC is a Chromebook.
I wonder if there is any way Auticon in Milton keynes could help you they recruit for it

Topic.

Just rang 'em up after a conversation with Sheffield College about the level 1 game design course I mentioned last week, who gave me the number for Prospects in Town.

Thing is though, a long time ago I had a meeting with Prospects about getting a job through them, and it meant getting back in with the Job Centre which is a BIG no way after the way Job Centre Plus treat me last time.

However, I'd really like to do a game design course as I have ideas for games but don't have the software or the programming skills to realise these ideas.

So anyway. because of previous experience with Prospects, and my age, should I look into this course for 11 AM this Friday for the "guidance meeting"?

Come on make with the helpful comments, I know this iis a UK issue and this place is full of Americans.

Well if you think you'll thrive more under guidance. There are online guides you can follow in learning programming, modelling etc. Lynda.com is a good place to start. But if you think you need someone to turn to then sure, a college programme might be better for you.

Game design is of course a very complicated and detailed career especially if you want to be a jack of all trades sort of person in creating your own indie project.

Well if you think you'll thrive more under guidance. There are online guides you can follow in learning programming, modelling etc. Lynda.com is a good place to start. But if you think you need someone to turn to then sure, a college programme might be better for you.

Game design is of course a very complicated and detailed career especially if you want to be a jack of all trades sort of person in creating your own indie project.

Problem with doing a programming course is that most of the main languages need a Windows PC or a Mac, which I don't have and can't afford.

I just did a topic in the computer and technology section about a new Windows PC or a Mac for the course, I also emailed my Brother, but he'll say no to my purchase of a Windows machine, he's scared of viruses/Malware etc.

Problem with doing a programming course is that most of the main languages need a Windows PC or a Mac, which I don't have and can't afford.

Yep, and they'll expect you to work on your programming skills in your own time like when I was doing my BTEC National Diploma for ICTP in college.

I used Lynda.com to build a lot of my programming skills and I know they got good gaming exercises as well.

Ages ago I had a 30 day trial for Lynda.com, I only used it about twice before I forgot about it and the trial ran out, I can't afford £20 a month to continue, I'm on benefits (don't start).

Having a Chromebook and if you can't afford a PC or Mac, this is very significant. You can also look for a professor to make an appt with to ask about the course and their opinion on if you can take it or not.

Just rang 'em up after a conversation with Sheffield College about the level 1 game design course I mentioned last week, who gave me the number for Prospects in town.
Interesting that Prospects is still active in Sheffield, considering that the Manchester and London branches were axed in 2011 and 2013 respectively. Or is the one in Sheffield no longer affiliated to the National Autistic Society?

New Threads

Top Bottom