• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Collecting dolls

I've always wanted to start a doll collection but, of course, got taken the piss out of for wanting dolls when I was a teenager and an adult...

Well my daughter who is 8 has these Monster High dolls, which I adore and I'm so jealous of her dolls!

I want to start collecting them to display on shelves, but is it weird to do that at 28 years old?

My mother started collecting Barbies when she was over 50 years
old. She particularly enjoyed rescuing Barbies that had been
subject to haircuts, hand or foot chewing, or tatted up with
permanent markers. She made clothing for them that concealed
those problems.

I used to hide in my bedroom at 16, because I had a sense that it was weird at 16, to still want to play with my dollies. But in my heart, I was not truly 16 and would get away with it, because I looked so much younger, but still I was known to be 16 and felt that I should have grown out of it.

I also sucked my thumb right uptil I was 40 and then, suddenly, without any help at all, I found I lost comfort from it and since then, have not sucked my thumb.

I used to hide in my bedroom at 16, because I had a sense that it was weird at 16, to still want to play with my dollies. But in my heart, I was not truly 16 and would get away with it, because I looked so much younger, but still I was known to be 16 and felt that I should have grown out of it.

I also sucked my thumb right uptil I was 40 and then, suddenly, without any help at all, I found I lost comfort from it and since then, have not sucked my thumb.

I sucked my thumb regularly until I was in my early twenties... I still do now, but only when I;m really tired or upset

Used to collect teapots for some reason, people gave them to me as gifts, they were all on a shelf in the dining room and during a 5.3 magnitude earthquake they all slid off the shelf and broke one by one. Except for the original one I bought as a teen, which I still have.

After that I didn't collect breakable objects as much, but I did inherit my Gram's collections of sewing implements, stamps and postcards. Have an old friend who collects porcelain dolls and it makes her happy. There are a couple of people on the site who collect different sorts of dolls.

I've always wanted to start a doll collection but, of course, got taken the piss out of for wanting dolls when I was a teenager and an adult...

Well my daughter who is 8 has these Monster High dolls, which I adore and I'm so jealous of her dolls!

I want to start collecting them to display on shelves, but is it weird to do that at 28 years old?
I say "Go for it!" If it interests you, there is no age limit to collectors. As others have pointed out, many NTs even get into collecting at an older age. I know lots of people who collect dolls, stuffed animals, etc. Like the quote from the movie 'Ten Things I Hate About You' at the party scene: "Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not good enough to have what you want!" (I think I might have misquoted that a little, but I got the message across.)

I'm 34 and below is my collection. I'm planing to expand next year. I had family made a fuss but I don't care about their opinion or anyone else can't accept me for what I'm into. You might also want to visit my doll thread from a few years ago dolls obsession. You will see other members sharing their interest too including pictures.

20160911_140509.jpg

I have a large collection of Toys: Star Wars and LOTR action figures and related toys, Special Edition Barbies, an American Girl Doll! Most of them are in storage in the cellar, there's quite a bit of money down there, but I can't bear to sell them! If I had money and space I would build a Lego Town! I would also love to build Dollhouses, (this one might be a futile wish, my fine motors skills aren't so great) My lifelong special interest is apparently Miniatures! LOL

I would think it is acceptable, lots of people do it. There are some very enterprising young ladies who will collect dolls (Monster High, Barbie, what have you) and remake them into new (and really cool looking) dolls. Youtube is loaded with videos of this. I have a friend who is 37 and does this.

I'm 62, and I design, make, sell and collect dollhouse miniatures. They're adult collectibles, and I'm not ashamed of my hobby. Why should I be? It gives me pleasure, keeps me good and quiet and 'out of the bars and off the street', as we say..

No matter what I do, say, or think, no matter how I dress...oh, you get the idea...there will be that one person who thinks I'm wrong, stupid, lame, or whatever.

**** 'em!

I have spent enough time out in the world rubbing shoulders with the so-called "normal folks" to know everyone is a bit of a freak. If someone objects to that label, I'd ask to see their unedited computer history. As it so happens, that's based on a real-life experience.

Collecting dolls isn't really that weird, it's more like a minority activity. Besides, you're in England; I thought being somewhat eccentric was a part of the national identity there!

By the way, you're rockin' your new avatar!

No matter what I do, say, or think, no matter how I dress...oh, you get the idea...there will be that one person who thinks I'm wrong, stupid, lame, or whatever.

**** 'em!

I have spent enough time out in the world rubbing shoulders with the so-called "normal folks" to know everyone is a bit of a freak. If someone objects to that label, I'd ask to see their unedited computer history. As it so happens, that's based on a real-life experience.

Collecting dolls isn't really that weird, it's more like a minority activity. Besides, you're in England; I thought being somewhat eccentric was a part of the national identity there!

By the way, you're rockin' your new avatar!

Thanks Alcyon :D

I don't know if it's weird or not, but since collecting dolls doesn't hurt anyone, I'd say you should just do it if it makes you happy, and forget about what other people think.

I have been collecting dolls as long as I can remember,it's been a life long obsession for me,here is a photo I just took now of some of my collection.
IMG_0968.JPG

There are many adults here who collect dolls and/or action figures. They are serious eye candy.

Having face-blindness, I started collecting (and customizing) 1:6 scale action dolls* around 1990 (age 28) to be used as better-faced lay figures (for help with drawing).

Here is about 1/7th of my current collection, the Playscale Players.
Shoe Organizer
full

My collection is driven by a diversity of heads, so if one head has a useless body, I will transplant it to a better body.

*Action dolls are action figures that are denudible/redressible, like 12" GI Joes & Janes, articulated Barbies, early Max Steels, etc. (I am a member of many forums in this scale.)

Last edited:

No as a matter of fact people invest in toys and down the road they are worth money. They could be a mortgage payment for your daughter after you passed away.

New Threads

Top Bottom