• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothing?

Ender

Unemployed Philosopher
Tell me about how you like your clothing.

Ever since I was a child, I always preferred soft things and neutral urban colour pallettes (e.g. blue, grey, tan, white, black). I'd go through stores and run my hands over the different materials. Nowadays I tend to stick with button-up shirts or t-shirts. But having no continuity in the brands I own continually bothers me. Such as if there are two black shirts but one is made of thinner clingy material and the other is a sturdy soft cotton.

Anyway, does anyone else have particular kinds of clothes they prefer or dislike? I'd heard it was common among people with ASDs, but never asked because I don't personally know anyone aside from myself that is on the spectrum.

Hey, I used to run my hands over different kinds of materials in stores too! I didn't know it could be related to AS. I would touch everything and figure out if I'm repulsed, neutral, or loved it. I would seek out materials that were silky feeling. My skin would start to crawl if I touched velvet or any other velvet like texture. I still can't stand to even look at velvet. Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer to wear soft cottons or flannels. I wear jeans, but I dislike denim. I wear them because my husband likes them on me and I've started tolerating them better. My favorite outfit is yoga pants with a soft flannel shirt. If I want to go out, it's a soft flannel with jeans.

The best thing about cool weather is being able to wear heavy flannel shirts from L.L.Bean!

L.L. Bean is my personal favorite! I love their light weight flannel campshirts for cooler summer nights and the fall. Right now is perfect for their heavier stuff.

I couldn't wear V-neck shirts when I was younger, they irritated me. I haven't worn one since.

I went through a goth stage in my teenage years, worn nothing but black. Band merchandise and skulls, that kind of crap.

If I go out shopping for clothes I want soft things. I have a soft t-shirt from the Bethesda store, it's a Stormcloak one and it's so comfortable.

I wear jeans in most cases. I have a few from my brother and his girlfriend as birthday presents from the last two years, unfortunately they are tight under my knees when I'm sitting down or worse, cross legged and it's uncomfortable. So I don't like that.

I've been look for tshirts with Nordic, Celtic or Asian patterns like the endless knot recently. I'm going through a tribal/medieval sort of phase. Goes with the beard and the beads quite well.

I don't really think too much about what I wear in the morning, the thoughts are mainly just trying to find one of each piece of clothing and putting them on. I do care a lot more about my appearance now than I ever have, which is definitely needed.

I started a thread about this awhile back where I mentioned I tend to dress like a cowboy. That hasn't changed. And Yes even I even wear the hat. ;):D

I still run my hands over fabrics in shops. I have always loved really soft fabrics, and if there's anything even remotely soft and/or fluffy in a shop or someones house, I have to touch it. I've had to stop myself a few times from touching people's clothes when out.

I don't like to wear anything itchy or scratchy, and I remove quite a lot of tags from inside clothes. Things irritate me like that, and I can't not notice it if you see what I mean? So like, I wear a bra and I don't consciously notice it throughout the day because I'm used to it, but if there's a scratchy tag in something, I will constantly be aware of it. Itchy fabrics actually make my skin hurt because I'm so aware of how uncomfy I am. I basically live in jeans and whatever tshirt I choose for that day.

I think my post was deleted by accident. Basically, I wear the same thing every single day summer or winter makes no difference. I do this because my sensory issues are so bad that when I find something, I stick to it.

It is leggings with shorts over them and a man's long sleeve T-shirt and a knit hat on top. Gets very hot in the summer, but so be it.

I may get brave and post a pic. I think people do not even know my gender at this point. Quite androgynous now.

Fortunately, I don't have sensory issues with clothing, but I don't like anything too tight. I dress for the occasion and the weather. I'm colour-orientated, am not big on black, and hate khaki.
I do tend to wear natural fabrics, although I wear a lot of those polo-neck nylon jumpers as they're so versatile. I have dress-sense rather than fashion-sense, and love mixing and matching colours. I have a large collection of scarves.
I love woolly cardigans with the cuffs turned up, as there's something very homely and comforting about them.
I don't run my hands over fabrics, but I do "have" to feel the round necks on bowls and vases, for example if I'm in a restaurant. It's a combination of the curve and the texture of the glass or pottery that does it for me.

Mid 30s here and I still buy my clothes (And bedding), based on how the material feels. Softer is better, nothing too binding. Im terrible at matching colors, so I have a ton of black pants, and colored shirts. And a couple of pairs of colored pants that I have a shirt that goes with them. I also find silky satiny to feel nice, but I dont wear that material often.

Ever since I was a child, I always preferred soft things and neutral urban colour pallettes (e.g. blue, grey, tan, white, black). I'd go through stores and run my hands over the different materials. Nowadays I tend to stick with button-up shirts or t-shirts. But having no continuity in the brands I own continually bothers me. Such as if there are two black shirts but one is made of thinner clingy material and the other is a sturdy soft cotton.

Anyway, does anyone else have particular kinds of clothes they prefer or dislike? I'd heard it was common among people with ASDs, but never asked because I don't personally know anyone aside from myself that is on the spectrum.

I'm very particular about the weight, texture, etc. of my clothing. Ideally, I'd just wear a long t-shirt, no pants and gym shoes. ;) I dream of clothes that just kind of float around me.

I can totally relate when I was a kid I had undiagnosed ASD. I never knew that all of the traits were like screaming at me obvious they were like blindingly obvious but we didn't know because in the 90s when I was growing up none of that was known a lot of Millennials weren't really diagnosed until they got older and people older than Millennials were diagnosed much much later in their adulthood so it wasn't really until the early to thousands that I got diagnosed because I didn't know nobody knew until the technology started to come out and Way looking back it's blindingly obvious that I was an autistic child but I am on the high functioning side with aspergers instead of autism because I've grown out of it and I really don't have much of any of the traits anymore except some social awkwardness.
- But basically what I did as a child was a lot more severe and very obviously autistic whenever I would wear close I would freak the hell out because I didn't like jeans the material would bother the crud out of me and I would go berserk autistic over it and we discovered that the only material that my skin wouldn't be bothered by was uniform khakis not any khakis but uniform material khakis. I never really thought about jeans and the fact that I could wear sintered jeans that don't bother me I just knew in the 90s there was a lot more sicker jeans in stores and there were really wasn't that big jagging craze or skinny jeans craze it was thick heavy jeans and they had a big craze for bringing back the bellbottoms or the flared bottoms and I tried that and I hated it I couldn't get into it but I would wear uniform pants because they didn't bother me they work softer and I liked to wear a lot of the 90s style leggingswith the stirrupsthat go inside your shoes but I would cut that part offandI just didn't like the way it felt in my shoeson my arches and as far as shirts go I don't remember
-now I had a lot of otherobvious autistic traits likeI would curl my toes as far as my foot would allow me to make a fist would walk like that because the sensation felt good or what not or I would walk on my heels or I was very OCD about making my bed and cleaning my room and nobody could mess it up or I would freak out etc. etc. very much so much artistic stuff going on and after I got diagnosed when I was 15 we learned a lot more about autism and aspergers and all that and I discovered that I like jeans but I prefer sensation wise sensory wise to have jagging or skinny jeans that are center I don't like heavy bluejeans at all for any reason whatsoever and I prefer a lot of khakis because their center I like cargo pants as long as they're not covered and tons of pockets because I don't like the feeling of the zippers on the inside touching my skin it bothers me and I don't like the kind of cargo pants that tie at the bottom of the pant leg because I don't like the strings hanging right at my anklebone's it drives me but Zaragoza and I always tighten the knot and then cut the string. but as far as all of that goes now and I'm 28 years old I never seem to be as bothered as I did as a child I'm definitely on the high functioning side by a longshot and I almost have no symptoms left and I'm not really bothered anymore I don't really care. do care a little tiny bit but not really like I did but like I said there are certain pant preferences that I like and I'm not really bothered by shirts or anything. The only thing I don't really like when it comes to shirts is when I take my bra off and I sleep at night I don't like that it tickles my chest I prefer to wear the bra because it keeps him flatter and they're not pokey and rubbing on my shirt any material bothers me so either I go shirtless or I wear a brawl in my shirt when I sleep and I've never been able to do the whole deal that some people do where they go all day without a bra and let their breasts air out I don't like my shirts touching me like that although every woman I've ever talk to says they love it because they can breed but I don't like the way that it feels when I'm loose but yeah I just don't like that feeling Robbiedon I don't like it anyway that's about as far as it goes for me when it comes to clothes.
- oh yeah, as a child in the 90s I was obsessed with one type of sock only. Most socks anymore if not all are made with the stitching across the front of your toes just beneath the toenails but I don't know if anybody remembers but early in the 90s there was a big craze of socks where they had stitching over the tip of the toes much like pantyhose or soda over the tip of the toes and I only wore that type of stock because I didn't like the stitching touching just below my toenail it bothered the BS out of me and I would throw tantrums and be late for school because I could not adjust the stupid socks to the way I liked it for anything so my mom bought me those types of socks and it worked so much better. Now that I'm older they don't really make that type of stock anymore they're super hard to find and as most of my teenage and adult years it was harder to find that type of stock so I just did the whole mind over matter and made myself overcome that sensory overload and I would wear the socks inside out and I don't really feel the stitching. But most of the time I'm not bothered anymore I've just learned to train my brain to not think about it and it works.
- But like I said most of my symptoms are kind of out as I got older and I'm not really much artistic as I was as a kid so I still qualify but when it comes to things like this I'm not really bothered like I was. I do have other sensory problems that drive me absolutely Prasert like people tapping their fingernails or tapping a pencil drive me nuts and my mom likes to get the long French manicures and then she flicks her middle finger nail and thumbnail against each other and it makes a weird ticking sound and she does it only when she's her most nervous and stressed out or when she's pissed off and she doesn't even know that it's an involuntary response when in that state and it drives me up a dessert and I try to not think about it but that's one of the worst sounds for me and I freak out and I have to remind myself speak nicely slowly and calmly and just say mom you're tapping your fingers would you not do that and she'll turn the radio on so that it drowns it out for me that way she can still do it if it's gonna be that big of a problem for. But again that's about it petallike sounds like that or tapping or really loud high-pitched screeches oh and I'm sensitive to smells. I CAN'T stand the smell of hand sanitizer the matter what brand it is so I use a Goldbond hand sanitizer that is innertubing it's like a lotion with a little bit of sanitizer in it and that doesn't smell at all. but otherwise I really don't have any sensory overloads anymore.

I only wear pants and shorts that I buy at the Army surplus store. The fit and material are comfortable and always the same, and I prefer the earth colors and black. Shirts, I'm really picky about fit and material. I don't wear a bra anymore unless I'm going to an exercise class because they bother me so badly. I've been wearing a Dickie's work shirt I found at Wal-mart, that was so comfortable and covered my bra-less state so well, I bought a couple of them. if I'm not in that shirt, its a soft cotton tube-bra and a cotton t-shirt or tank if I have to go out in public. Basically, that's all I wear. I can wear nicer things for dress-up events, but often shed them as soon as I get home (I only wear them a couple of hours). I've finally broken my mom of buying clothes for me if I'm not with her, since I'm SO PICKY about style, color, texture, and fit...everything has to be perfect for me to buy and wear an item of clothing. My mom teases me, because I joke about being a closet nudist, and prefer to not wear clothing at all whenever possible just because of sensory issues.

Plain tee shirts of a not too flashy color worn untucked with jeans is my favorite. Dickies flannel jackets in the winter. No sweaters or sweatshirts. Too confining.

"Long-tail T's" [mail order; a little longer than standard T-shirts & heavier cotton fabric] and jeans, either black or blue jeans. 24-7. For the rare dressier I wear button front short-sleeve out-of-style vertical stripe shirts from LL Bean. Or on very cold winter days I wear both one of the T-shirts and one of the button-front shirts. Super cold day add a dark sweater vest from LL Bean. My coats are loose short jackets. I have a couple of hats that I wear once or twice in several years in winter storms.

I have no sense of colors or style. No one seems to notice me because of the way I am dressed. Good.

I'n well into middle age, and I've always worn something of a "uniform." I have many sensory issues and have always been very sensitive to fabric and touch. (As a child I had a "picky blanket" I would carry and rub between my fingers.) If I shop in a store, I eye the garments because if I touch something I don't like the feel or scent of, I will have a visceral reaction. I have not been able to tolerate tags since childhood, and I am mindful of interior stitching and seams and how that will feel over a long day. I stay away from all fussy ornamentation. Lots of black clothes but will occasionally wear olive green, burgundy, gray, maybe navy. Currently, I mainly wear pull on corduroy pants with an elastic waist from Uniqlo. I have four of these and will probably get more. They are soft, fit well, comfy and I can forget I'm wearing them. I wear long sleeve thin V neck cotton tee shirts from J Crew and a cardigan sweater, cashmere or merino wool. If I have to do in person business, I wear a black wool jacket over everything. I have three identical jackets and some others. I wear black lace up leather sneakers and oxfords. I have a couple pair I bought this year to replace four pair of identical leather and net soccer type sneakers I had for about 7 years. I have black Timberland boots for snow. Just started wearing Champion fleece lined narrow leg sweatpants with pockets to work at home. I wear nice quality socks, no noticeable seams. Sometimes my wool socks will get bunched up wool inside and if I can't get it off with a shaver, I can't wear the socks. My shoes always need to be tied to exactly the same degree of tightness for each foot. Summer, I wear chino shorts in black and a few other colors and J Crew short sleeved linen and cotton tee shirts with sandals with an ankle strap and covered toe and heel. Have a couple pair of those. Sometimes I wear black cotton tee shirt dresses or sun dresses. I pretty much won't wear anything I couldn't comfortably sleep in. I just moved after many years in the same apartment and it felt great to get rid of half my stuff. I will only use or wear certain things and now I'm not going to try to go beyond that. I like knowing brands, because then I know fit and feel and can buy online, a couple at a time during biggest sales. (I buy $70 shorts for $7.) I hate when something is discontinued or the manufacturer changes the "formula." I have a couple black winter coats. I want to get a black LL Bean boiled wool coat when they get way marked down soon ($35 v $150), but I'm not sure I want to accumulate more stuff.
If I shower, dress and leave my house shortly thereafter and walk briskly, I often have an all over body reaction with hives, itching, etc. it may be from pressure of clothes on especially tender skin, tiny unnoticeable body hairs being crushed under fabric, etc. It's almost unbearable but will usually abate in 15 to 30 minutes. I try not to dress or leave my house too soon after a shower. I do have quite a system but I need to to function and not be miserable.

I once ran into a rather dilapidated copy of 'Color Me Beautiful' from back when using your 'season' to choose clothes and things was all the rage. I didn't like the spring, summer or fall palettes, but I did like winter. It's all the jewel colors, like garnet and jade and onyx and sapphire and the like, and that's what I wear.

Comfortable, that is all that I care about. I have 12 pairs of grey uniform slacks and a lot of t-shirts. This is what I wear every day, unless my wife dresses me for a special occasion. I always get out of those clothes as soon as I can.

New Threads

Top Bottom