• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothes dictating how you feel

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I noticed this at a very early age, that depending on what I wear, resulted in feeling good about myself or bad.

Really inconvenient, since I love colours and variety, but finances do not allow exploration.

Also colours too, strangely enough. I have a jumper in blue and green and feel more confident in my blue one.

I love my coat, but only feel confident if I wear a scarf with it.

I read somewhere that a self assured person dictates what to wear, rather than the wear dictating to them. Wish I was a self assured person.:(

I know the feeling, some of my pieces of clothing really invoke a feeling in me. Some make me feel badass, some make me feel sexy and some make me feel competent. I try to use this so I can doubly dress for the occasion when I have to go somewhere special. Too bad I'm incredibly chaotic so when I'm looking for a particular piece of clothing it's either nowhere to be found or at the bottom of the laundry hamper.

I know the feeling, some of my pieces of clothing really invoke a feeling in me. Some make me feel badass, some make me feel sexy and some make me feel competent. I try to use this so I can doubly dress for the occasion when I have to go somewhere special. Too bad I'm incredibly chaotic so when I'm looking for a particular piece of clothing it's either nowhere to be found or at the bottom of the laundry hamper.

Oh yes, I have that happen, finding something I want is not even washed yet and honestly, I want to will it clean lol

I feel bad in all clothes but the few I wear. I have my safe clothes and outside clothes but that is all. I don't think clothes every made me feel good. Just safe.

I feel bad in all clothes but the few I wear. I have my safe clothes and outside clothes but that is all. I don't think clothes every made me feel good. Just safe.

Yeah, I have clothes that I repeatedly (read: always) wear, despite having loads of other things I could wear. I have to make sure that I'm careful doing laundry, so that I always have something I am happy to wear if I know I have to go out. I have pyjamas that I don't even wear because I'm not comfortable in them. I've bought new things that I've liked before, and then never worn them because I wasn't comfortable/happy in them. I'm constantly fiddling and agitated if I'm wearing something and not happy about it, like having to wear a formal type dress to a wedding or something. I think of it like how I can wear a bra all day, and not be consciously aware of it...I think NT's are like that with all clothes, but sometimes even for some unknown reason, I will be constantly aware of an item of clothing. I can understand when it's a tag or the fabric that I don't like, but sometimes I really can't put my finger on it.

I dress for the occasion, but don't do drab. I can tone down when the occasion demands, but otherwise, tend to wear bright colours, or at least brighten something up with a scarf.

I've never had occasion to wear anything ultra-formal like a ball gown, and I think that if I did, I'd feel out of place and awkward.

The first time I wore a baseball cap, I felt American (I'm English), but have worn them since and felt quite myself; but it was an odd feeling at the time.

I love bright colours and I usually wear hot pink,red,blues and purples my choice of style usually consists of cartoon print shirts or a dress that I have with purple unicorns on it,i find that most of my clothes also go with other interests of mine for example,my Disney princess tops go with my Disney princess movie obsession and my Disney princess doll collection and also my jewellery too,My husband knows I like Egyptian mythology so he got me a eye of Horus pendant made up for me as a Christmas present.

I'm kinda like that. I wear a piece of 6x beaver felt on my head just about anytime I leave the house. I feel naked without my hat, and I feel the same way if I don't have a hankerchief on me when I leave the house.

New Threads

Top Bottom