• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Century-old Drug Reverses Signs of Autism In Mice

Brent

Administrator
A century-old therapy for African sleeping sickness has been used in a new study to reverse symptoms of autism in a mouse model.

The study, conducted by researchers at the University of California-San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine and published in Translational Psychiatry, expands on the theory that autism is caused by a variety of interconnected factors.

"Twenty percent of the known factors associated with autism are genetic, but most are not," explains senior author Dr. Robert K. Naviaux, professor of medicine, pediatrics and pathology and co-director of the Mitochondrial and Metabolic Disease Center at UCSD.

Dr. Naviaux says it is wrong to think of genes and the environment as separate factors. "Genes and environmental factors interact," he stresses. "The net result of this interaction is metabolism."

Metabolic disturbances are known to be a universal symptom of autism.

"Cells have a halo of metabolites and nucleotides surrounding them," explains Dr. Naviaux. "These create a sort of chemical glow that broadcasts the state of health of the cell."

When cells are threatened or damaged by viruses, bacteria or chemicals, they react defensively by stiffening their membranes, altering metabolic processes and reducing communication with other cells.

Known as the "cell danger response," these defensive tactics can result in permanent damage if the response persists, including delayed neurodevelopment in children.

Dr. Naviaux likens the cell danger response to a wartime scenario:

"Cells behave like countries at war. When a threat begins, they harden their borders. They don't trust their neighbors. But without constant communication with the outside, cells begin to function differently. In the case of neurons, it might be by making fewer or too many connections. One way to look at this related to autism is this: when cells stop talking to each other, children stop talking."

Investigating the cellular signaling system involved in this process, Dr. Naviaux and his team focused on the role of nucleotides, such as adenosine triphosphate (ATP), and the receptors linked to autism - known as "purinergic receptors" - to which these nucleotide molecules bind.

Sleeping sickness drug inhibits signaling pathway implicated in autism
In the new study, the team wanted to see if they could inhibit this purinergic signaling using a drug. The drug they used in this trial was suramin - a treatment for African sleeping sickness (trypanosomiasis) that was synthesized in 1916.

illustration of cells
The "cell danger response" can result in permanent damage if the response persists, including delaying neurodevelopment in children.
In mice engineered to have symptoms of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) - who were the human biological age equivalent of 30 years old - the researchers found that suramin successfully blocked the ATP signaling pathway, which halted the cell danger response.

Once the danger response ended, the cells and metabolism in the mice began behaving normally. The researchers then observed that the mice's autism-like behaviors were corrected.

Although this progress is encouraging, there are some drawbacks to suramin as a treatment. Though beneficial, the effects of the drug are not permanent or preventive, as a single dose of the drug was only effective in the mice for about 5 weeks.

Also, suramin cannot be used as a long-term treatment as it is associated with severe side effects, including anemia and adrenal gland dysfunction.

Despite this, a small phase 1 clinical trial is due to be launched later this year, assessing the treatment in children with ASD.

Dr. Naviaux suggests that the treatment, rather than being used as an autism "cure," may be used effectively to complement non-drug behavioral and developmental therapies.

"The discovery that a single dose of medicine can fundamentally reset metabolism for weeks means that newer and safer drugs might not need to be given chronically," he adds.

Dr. Naviaux explains that a new class of medicines operating along these lines may only need to be given intermittently, "during sensitive developmental windows." He concludes:

"Obviously correcting abnormalities in a mouse is a long way from a cure in humans, but we think this approach - antipurinergic therapy - is a new and fresh way to think about and address the challenge of autism.

Our work doesn't contradict what others have discovered or done. It's another perspective."

Source: Autism symptoms 'reversed' in mice by 100-year-old drug - Medical News Today

While I'm not really sold on experimenting on people, I always think that mice have a different social dynamic than humans, and thus any experiment where animals are involved feels a bit... incomplete (for lack of a better word). Besides; experiments in a vacuum, especially with a disorder that is partially signified by social issues (which in turn rely on the contemporary social status quo)

I'm also not entire sold on the term "delayed neurodevelopment". Just because my brain didn't develop like everyone else, doesn't signify that I'm delayed. I mean; I spoke before the average age for kids to speak (don't ask me on the specifics, for that I need to bother my parents again, lol), so that's barely a "delay". I'd be way happier if they'd say "different neurodevelopment" or "alternate neurodevelopment".

However, the entire genetic thing they're testing with mice. Sure... I'll give them that. It's an interesting development and I can't really argue how that's wrong or incorrect. But the more prevalent issues a lot of people on the spectrum deal with, those are based within the confines of society and social protocol, something they can't really find in any animal. Afterall, there is a reason why don't fling poop around anymore, not even when we're upset with someone (at least, most people don't).

Poop flinging sounds such a better way for arguing than talking! :D

It's such a wide diversity of people that I'm sure they might be able to help some more than others etc. I too was talking, walking and reading at a very early age, but that hasn't really helped me at all dealing with the rest of humanity!

I also didn't like the way the report used the word "corrected" when it came to describing behaviours. How many bleeding times do we have to tell people that different is not wrong!!! :/

Scientists seem hell-bent on finding a cure. I wish they would think about curing ignorance!

This drug has nasty side effects:

1. nausea and vomiting
2. damage of the adrenal cortex in over 50% of those taking the drug. The adrenal cortex produces hormones: aldosterone which regulates blood pressure and kidney function; cortisol, a stress hormone; and androgen (i.e., male hormones)
3. possible kidney damage
4. possible liver damage (jaundice and hepatitis)
5. possible arthritis
6. possible peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage to extremities)
7. possible anemia
8. possible seizures

This drug has nasty side effects:

1. nausea and vomiting
2. damage of the adrenal cortex in over 50% of those taking the drug. The adrenal cortex produces hormones: aldosterone which regulates blood pressure and kidney function; cortisol, a stress hormone; and androgen (i.e., male hormones)
3. possible kidney damage
4. possible liver damage (jaundice and hepatitis)
5. possible arthritis
6. possible peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage to extremities)
7. possible anemia
8. possible seizures

Yes, but there are pills for fixing 1, 2,3,4,5, dunno about 6, 7, 8!

They will give us a cure, then treat our symptoms produced by the cure. Even more profit for the companies!

It might be entirely possible I am starting becoming a bit cynical.... :D

As this oldschool class clown will do,I suggest they use pigs for the research...the end result will always be bacon!

On a more serious note,the research is early and only a sign that they may have discovered something positive. Based of past performance of the Pharma industry on most medications,there will be many failures again as they attempt to patch the holes in the dyke instead of focusing on the primary cause of failure in the entire structure. To quote Loomis,the side effects far outweigh the fix thus far,but destroying hope is negative as well...hope is the only thing they cannot take away from you.

It would be great to see them be able to beat autism at birth,but without it,would the world suffer a loss? ;)

They will give us a cure, then treat our symptoms produced by the cure. Even more profit for the companies!

I viscious circle of meds where a pill have to be taken to cure the si

Yes, it is just a vicious circle of never ending pill popping to get rid of each side affect(s) that each pill causes.

How do they know the mice have autism to begin with? Do the mice with autism take what the other mice say too literally?

How did they give a mouse autism? Did they do the same thing to me?

It is a strange thing for them to do isn't it! How do you engineer a mouse to have autism? You'd think if they could do that, then they'd understand how to fix it at will!!

When it comes to the brain, I think brain medicine lags behind the rest of the body. Sometimes it feels like they've only just gone one step above using leeches!! :D

How do they know the mice have autism to begin with? Do the mice with autism take what the other mice say too literally?
I wondered about that too. :D

I think it was their lack of eye contact and being non-verbal :p

The forum will not let me click any more likes here

It is a strange thing for them to do isn't it! How do you engineer a mouse to have autism? You'd think if they could do that, then they'd understand how to fix it at will!!

When it comes to the brain, I think brain medicine lags behind the rest of the body. Sometimes it feels like they've only just gone one step above using leeches!! :D

To be fair, leeches are actually still used in certain medical cases (as are maggots, as primitive as that sounds).

I agree, though, that brain medicine lags horribly. It doesn't help that there seems to be this disconnect in the idea that the brain is actually part of the body and not some separate, isolated thing with separate rules.

It would be great to see them be able to beat autism at birth,but without it,would the world suffer a loss? ;)
Doctors still need to distinguish between eugenic autism and degenerative autism (which they haven't seemed to have done).

It is the latter that requires more focused attention.

I still say that if we weren't here to counter-balance the NT tendency to follow the herd, we'd still be living in caves without fire.

"Don't go near the hot orangey thing!"

New Threads

Top Bottom