• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Peacelily76

Hi guys n gals!
So...I have been working hard on making sure my workplace is thoroughly including the requirements of people with AS/ASC. I've worked with this brilliant colleague, Luke, who has AS and is a trainer/educator in Autism Spectrum conditions. He has been so much fun to work with and he is now an awesome friend at work!
Together, we have been challenging perceptions in a focus group and have created a toolkit that will support colleagues with AS/ASC to really thrive in the workplace and enjoy their jobs.
Thanks to all of you, we have included loads of ideas to help people and managers work well together.
I totally respect Luke and his complete passion for changing the world! He is a complete dude and I love it when he tells senior managers to speak slowly and use clear language so he can process the information!! Rock on!!
So, I am here to say THANK YOU to all of you for helping us with this initiative. You are all amazing, talented, passionate people and together, we can change neurotypical lazy thinking about AS/ASC into a positive, supportive, world-changing movement so people can thrive in the workplace.
If anyone would like me to share our toolkit, please just ask.
THANK YOU GUYS N GALS!
Keep being amazing, be just who you are and be patient as the rest of the world catches up with your awesome qualities and requirements.
Much love xxx

Huh? I know the website, but don't know how a neuro-diverse workplace would be a slap in its non-corporeal face?

Autism Speaks is unfortunately by far the largest autism "advocacy" organization which is exclusively looking for a cure for autism and finds us, our existence, and all that we are unacceptable and wrong.

Neurodiversity, like what's happened here, is in direct opposition to the ideology of eradicating us by "curing" us (among other things that would be crimes against humanity if anyone cared) and instead promotes acceptance of us as worthy people and valuable members of society on a platform of "acceptance and understanding".

Wow. I didn't know. I've seen their site, but there's so little there applicable to adults that I moved on. Totally missed the cure bit. I mean, I know people have been researching it, of course, but I didn't realize this site was involved in that exclusively. Thanks.

Pardon a nerd reference, but if they ever find a "cure," it reminds me of the X-Men cartoon that used to be on Sat mornings where mutants had to decide whether to be "cured." Some autistic kids and even adults can barely speak. I think if I had that form, I might consider it. But, as it is, I am more on the HFA/Asperger's end, and I like who I am, so I wouldn't consider it.

Hi guys n gals!
So...I have been working hard on making sure my workplace is thoroughly including the requirements of people with AS/ASC. I've worked with this brilliant colleague, Luke, who has AS and is a trainer/educator in Autism Spectrum conditions. He has been so much fun to work with and he is now an awesome friend at work!
Together, we have been challenging perceptions in a focus group and have created a toolkit that will support colleagues with AS/ASC to really thrive in the workplace and enjoy their jobs.
Thanks to all of you, we have included loads of ideas to help people and managers work well together.
I totally respect Luke and his complete passion for changing the world! He is a complete dude and I love it when he tells senior managers to speak slowly and use clear language so he can process the information!! Rock on!!
So, I am here to say THANK YOU to all of you for helping us with this initiative. You are all amazing, talented, passionate people and together, we can change neurotypical lazy thinking about AS/ASC into a positive, supportive, world-changing movement so people can thrive in the workplace.
If anyone would like me to share our toolkit, please just ask.
THANK YOU GUYS N GALS!
Keep being amazing, be just who you are and be patient as the rest of the world catches up with your awesome qualities and requirements.
Much love xxx

I'd love to see that toolkit.

Fascinating, and great work.

Wow. I didn't know. I've seen their site, but there's so little there applicable to adults that I moved on. Totally missed the cure bit. I mean, I know people have been researching it, of course, but I didn't realize this site was involved in that exclusively. Thanks.

Pardon a nerd reference, but if they ever find a "cure," it reminds me of the X-Men cartoon that used to be on Sat mornings where mutants had to decide whether to be "cured." Some autistic kids and even adults can barely speak. I think if I had that form, I might consider it. But, as it is, I am more on the HFA/Asperger's end, and I like who I am, so I wouldn't consider it.
i am one of those who can barely speak-i have severe classic autism [stabilized now at moderate but still with a lot of throwbacks to severe], and am still under the low functioning category.i like who i am i dont want to be cured,would i be a special olympics athlete and have as many friends if i did not have LFA/intellectual disability? i think not as the criteria is 75 iq or under in the UK although i was diagnosed under DSM/US standards which has a lower cut off [70,i think].
i could explain a lot of why LFA enriches my life so much as an adult but i may do it as a blog post.

so,the autistic community needs to know its not just the views of HFAs who are against the idea of removing the autism or including the whole spectrum of autism as neurodiverse,its also coming from many of us from LFA.

New Threads

Top Bottom