• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Careers for aspies

Miker

Are there any career paths that are viable for Aspies in the UK in 2015 or are we doomed to daily stress and anxiety? My requirements would include a calm environment, limited requirements for continued negotiation to bend rules and ethical goals! Does such a career exist?

There are many possible jobs to be honest, but the biggest issue with many aspies I spoke and worked with is the incongruent intelligence. Causing many to put their own bar way too high and not feel okay doing lower jobs because they are way too smart for that.

What this means to me is that my head is way smarter as my body is capable off, not sure if it manifests the same way for others but for me it is like this:
Cognitively i function as a manager, more than smart enough for that but functionally I'm below the normal work force, so if I do the job I'm smart enough for I will be incompetent because of my performance skills but when I do the job I'm capable of doing I feel way too smart for it and way smarter as my coworkers.

So to me the option is to just so something I'm capable of doing and let go the feeling that I could do way more. So go for the easier lower paid jobs. There are many of those where you work by yourself, but it is hard once your brain starts to correct what people higher up are doing because you're actually smarter as them.

I'm not sure where my thought processes are going again xD maybe it was any use to you and maybe it makes no sense, but the main think I'm trying to say is to not force yourself to be too high up the ladder.

There are many possible jobs to be honest, but the biggest issue with many aspies I spoke and worked with is the incongruent intelligence. Causing many to put their own bar way too high and not feel okay doing lower jobs because they are way too smart for that.

What this means to me is that my head is way smarter as my body is capable off, not sure if it manifests the same way for others but for me it is like this:
Cognitively i function as a manager, more than smart enough for that but functionally I'm below the normal work force, so if I do the job I'm smart enough for I will be incompetent because of my performance skills but when I do the job I'm capable of doing I feel way too smart for it and way smarter as my coworkers.

So to me the option is to just so something I'm capable of doing and let go the feeling that I could do way more. So go for the easier lower paid jobs. There are many of those where you work by yourself, but it is hard once your brain starts to correct what people higher up are doing because you're actually smarter as them.

I'm not sure where my thought processes are going again xD maybe it was any use to you and maybe it makes no sense, but the main think I'm trying to say is to not force yourself to be too high up the ladder.
Hi,

Yes I get what your saying. It's interesting to hear other people's opinions on the subject.

Thanks

New Threads

Top Bottom