• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you stand shoes?

Like wearing shoes?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Usually

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Flip Flops ewe

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Flip Flops yay

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
I can't stand shoes, I can't stand my feet feeling hot, ugh, I love socks, all kinds of socks... I do love heels, the bigger the better and especially wedges in the summer.

But whenever I'm wearing gym shoes, sneakers, I have to take them off at any chance I get. I only wear skater shoes for this purpose, easy to slide in and out of and never having to tie.

Anytime I'm sitting the shoes come off, restaurants, movies (which i cant stand but thats a different topic) people's houses, class, school, work (well at my current work I leave them on most of the time because they're big awesome platform heels and I love them) but at other jobs if I could I was out of them.

I just think it's kind of funny that everyone else never takes off their shoes, even when I had people crash me I've noticed a few times they were sleeping in gym shoes! O_O wtf!

I also can't wear flip flops unless just in my house, do people not notice how nasty and black their feet get when they're wearing flip flops around all day?? At least proper sandals don't have that problem.... lol

Interesting! I hate being asked to take my shoes off when I visit other pple's homes though I understand why. If my shoes are dirty I will volunteer to take them off but just generally it makes me a bit grrr.

I agree about flip flops but as long as someone washes their feet later I don't mind. I do feel sometime type of way about people taking off shoes in shared spaces e.g restaurants. If not done obnoxiously I don't mind because sometimes I slip mine off a little say they are uncomfortable. But if someone takes shoes off and puts their feet up in a movie, I don't like that.

I also like that generally in formal workplaces its considered good form to wear closed shoes.

Yes and no.

I hate my feet being hot and enclosed and dislike socks.

I wear sandals or bear feet 90% of the time, take shoes off when I can.

BUT I used to like boots and used to lave them tight. I still like the idea of them, but it's too hot here.

I suppose in my case it's more a question of how long each day I can stand to wear shoes continuously.

Much more than ten hours and they become agony to me. No matter how well or how poorly they might fit.

But never in the house. You have to take your shoes off once you're past my door.
My carpet thanks you. :p

Last edited:
Only when I leave the house, and as I'm retired I don't have to wear them now.
Wear socks now, everyday, all day, my favourite thing. It feels weird when I have to wear shoes, and in the summer I wear clogs or sandals so that I can take them off immediately when I come inside.

I do hate wearing shoes. First thing when I arrive at the office I will take them off. Would like to walk bare feet if we didn't have to care about snow, rain, humans breaking glass outdoors, etc.

I hate casual shoes. I love heels too, but cannot wear wedged heels, because my foot goes to the side and I trip up. I can wear up to a 3inch heel.

I hate taking my shoes off when I go somewhere, because I am already a small person and so, makes me even smaller.

I never do not wear shoes. I hate going without shoes. I never wore shoes as a kid, though. COme in from play, feet were pitch black! Hahaha.

And same here, shoes off at someones' house? I leave. At drs I bring extra socks if they make me take htem off. I am not walking on a hospital floor wihtout protection. F THAT!

ive said it on here before [ive also made a video about it..i think]but i cant tolerate any form of clothing including socks and shoes without feeling a lot of overload/pain.
i will strip off wherever possible without raising calls of 'thats inappropriate behavior em,you need to get your stuff back on' from support staff or my sister who has got as much empathy/sympathy as a rock.
i used to go around outside with no shoes and no socks [plus no clothes to-down to my nappy and sports bra,but the staff had a lot to do and say about that :p ],id refuse to put shoes on so they only took me local places up to a couple of streets away.
a NHS podiatrist said i had some of the best feet she had seen when i went to get a big old blister trimmed off and my nails done, wearing no shoes/socks makes your feet tougher i think.
i dont go around the community wearing no shoes anymore because i have been trained out of that but i have made a comprimise at home, i wear some baggy bedroom shorts when im in my apartment-no top on,no shoes/socks and it stops the staff complaining although my sister expects me to wear the lot when she comes,i wish she would understand sensory needs are not a form of selfishness.

I can't stand shoes, I can't stand my feet feeling hot, ugh, I love socks, all kinds of socks... I do love heels, the bigger the better and especially wedges in the summer.

But whenever I'm wearing gym shoes, sneakers, I have to take them off at any chance I get. I only wear skater shoes for this purpose, easy to slide in and out of and never having to tie.

Anytime I'm sitting the shoes come off, restaurants, movies (which i cant stand but thats a different topic) people's houses, class, school, work (well at my current work I leave them on most of the time because they're big awesome platform heels and I love them) but at other jobs if I could I was out of them.

I just think it's kind of funny that everyone else never takes off their shoes, even when I had people crash me I've noticed a few times they were sleeping in gym shoes! O_O wtf!

I also can't wear flip flops unless just in my house, do people not notice how nasty and black their feet get when they're wearing flip flops around all day?? At least proper sandals don't have that problem.... lol
i wear shoes and sandals but im a boot kinda guy :)

It's my sole opinion that shoes are necessary for me. But I hate laces so go down the velcro route - far easier.

I like the weight of shoes but not much else....it's a rare pair of shoes I'd want to wear all the time. Feet in socks is usually best. (Bare feet is awful.)

For me the insoles can make or break a shoe. Good insoles in cheap shoes I can handle. But bad insoles in even good shoes....ouch.

I never knew being anti-footwear was an Aspergers thing, makes sense though!

Myself I've always hated the feeling of shoes and socks, but I don't mind heels or single strap sandals (never double straps). However, I was my feet several times a day.

I never knew being anti-footwear was an Aspergers thing, makes sense though!

Indeed. Sensory issues unto themselves may appear as minor annoyances one-by-one.

But when you start to add them all up...then you realize you're in the realm of autism and not just being "picky". ;)

Yes, I am barefoot right now. :D I would just look silly in heels though.:p

Unless I'm walking a distance, I wear sandals all year round if there's no snow. Sneakers are worn with socks, which I don't like.

I have a few pairs of socks for sneakers and I pull out a pair of workboots (which require socks) if there is snow on the ground.

I've had several surgeries/injuries that make heels impossible, so if I can, I wear sandals .... unless it's so cold my toes may be injured.

I'm lenient in ways and sensitive in others.
I never seem to notice if my feet are hot or cold, I might have a problem with nerves. I love wearing boots.
But certain materials rubbing together make me clench my teeth it's the worst. Like cotton socks against converse's. AHHH!!!

I love going barefoot in grass. When I'm tense in the back of my neck and head, walking barefoot over gravel seems to ease the tension. Kinda like holding a bag of ice to keep from cutting. Just enough pain to get a response from the brain. I absolutely, do not, like walking barefoot in mud deeper than 1cm. The feeling of it squirting and oozing between my toes makes me feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin. wet sand is OK, and snow, same response as gravel. Dry sand or dirt, I cant stand getting under my finger and toenails. Just thinking about it, made a cold chill from my jaw teeth, to the back of my head, and down my spine. Any one have all terrain peds ?

New Threads

Top Bottom