• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can Asperger's get worse as you age?

Well that's just it. I don't want to ever cut anything out of my diet aside from the more processed junk. I don't believe in diets unless they are necessary. The only caffeine I really consume would be in sodas and non-naturally decaffeinated teas.

I am very new here as well as to my knowledge of my own ASD. Can you tell me where you acquired the below statistical rendering?:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 80 of 200

I would like to utilize the tools that you have used (validity to be researched) to better understand my own situation.

By the way, I too have noticed some exaggeration of my own symptoms of late. Since my own co-morbidity is only with ADHD, of which I have been aware since 1964 at the age of 5 and hence am quite intimate with the symptoms, my knowledge of my autism spectrum disorder (Asperger's) is recent and it is possible that the apparent "worsening" of my symptoms is actually only perceptual and relates more to my new self-awareness.

Thank you for bringing this topic to the fore as it has helped me a great deal.

I am very new here as well as to my knowledge of my own ASD. Can you tell me where you acquired the below statistical rendering?:

I would like to utilize the tools that you have used (validity to be researched) to better understand my own situation.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the link to the site. I wish I remembered what the URL was, but it's been years since I've gotten those scores.

Nothing against your wives, but mental age is a myth. I promise that your brains look nothing like a twelve-year-old's. (Well, maybe a passing resemblance.)

I'm going to vote no because once the neural pathways in your brain are established, then they either get used a lot and are maintained or don't get used and fade. It would like saying that you've learned to count, and can you learn it more as you get older. Well no because it's simply there.

However, with age comes experience. And certainly now I am less inclined to hide who I am or silence myself. If people don't like or accept me now, I don't much care. I'm better off without them.

So my husband would say I am "more aspie" now, but really I am just hiding less.

These are results from the "Aspie Quiz". Here's a link: Aspie Quiz

lots of factors that may apply. some folks may feel less autistic as they figure out more coping skills. others may feel worse as life stressors build up and they can not cope as well. lots of in betweens and variables there. bottom line, everyone is different.

personally, i feel more autistic with age because of life stress altering my old coping skills. also feel more autistic since i have been diagnosed and recognize the symptoms more readily. now starting to feel less as i am finding new coping strategies and some handy pharmaceuticals.

Mine has definitely gotten worse.

I had much more social success, resilience, flexibility, and enjoyment when I was younger. I wasn't even diagnosed until age 29.

This year, in particular, is perhaps the most challenging one in my life, other than the year my brother died. So much has gone wrong that it would take an entire thread to break down. :/

I've retreated from everyone except family. I even just left my church, because it had a big scandal last week that stressed me out and challenged my faith. Faith has since been restored, but the scandal has challenged a lot of the assumptions and doctrines I was taught.

I think that different aspects can become worse with age but not because of how your mind works, but because of the environment you're exposed to. When you're younger, environments that you are in are generally more sensory friendly and people are more gentle with you. As you get older people expect you to just deal with the world around you and everything is harsher, louder, and people don't give you leeway if you don't fit in with society. I don't think that autism gets worse with age, I think society becomes less accepting of neurological differences with age.

It's gotten worse with age, people expect more from me, things i can't deliver.
Dating, while I went on dates often, a few few successful (in that I slept with them) before I turned 28 it was pretty easy.
There was I assume a lot more failures then most normal people but I had a weird charm.
Now people don't want that, as I hurtle towards 30, people expect more from me and I don't have those things.
I don't like socializing anymore, I used to generally enjoy it, though it could be difficult, now it's awful and I for the first time in my life have started to have extreme anxiety.
I used to go out a lot more now I seldom leave the house (not counting work) and when I do its to places people aren't around (eg nature).
I mean the loss of the one I was deeply smitten with (she was so like me) was part of it I think, I mean no one will ever top her, no point in going on with that.
I lost the ability to soldier on and cope, everything hits me and I can't push it off.

New Threads

Top Bottom