• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can a person with autism be transformed?

Clintos

In the Bible it says in Romans 12:2, that the mind can be transformed. Does anyone not accept their autism like me and want to be changed?

Or is it best to accept autism, and embrace it, because it is who we are?

hi clintos, my view is a positive one-i see my LFA as a neutral way of being and only see autism as a disability if it is under the social model concept,a lot of people would laugh at that as they like to see LFA as a tragedy but i dont have awareness around my many complex struggles and i feel free.
i think aspies are brutally aware of themselves in society and find societys expectations make their impairments be or look worse,i think this is why more aspies than LFAs would want to be cured.

however....if you feel your autism is a negative thing,that is how you feel,no one can tell you how to think,and i really hate it when you get pushy people on either side of the arguement trying to push others to think like them.
if you want it to disappear,that is entirely your wish,and there are quite a few aspies out there who want to be 'cured',but you couldnt become NT as your wiring was set before you were born,you would have to be born another person.

i have sympathy for people who want rid of their autism as i know they must be struggling and they cant cope for the many different reasons we know of,the best that can be done currently,is to give you support and help you come to terms with your ASD,would councillor/psychologist input help you?

In the Bible it says in Romans 12:2, that the mind can be transformed. Does anyone not accept their autism like me and want to be changed?

I don't like mine at all. I want to be transformed. BUt I know that is not likely. To me, that verse means that we are transformed. My autism can take me places I don't want to go. So even with autism, my mind can be transformed. Let's say naturally I might let a meltdown go or think I CAN"T STOP IT and maybe I can't.

And then I start to work on this and lett ing GOd help me then one day I feel that meltdown coming on and I pray in the middl e of it, shaking like a leaf........and it is less!!

Maybe I still have them bu t they are less and maybe some do not even go on. Then of course, there may still be one that really sucks, but maybe not as close together.

So to me, that means with my autism, my mind is tranformed. I could be a lot worse. I mean A LOT worse. We live in mortal bodies and we are all on our way to death and there is no way around it.

So we have autim, somone else might have a brain tumour and wonders how they can stop their anxiety and thoughts. Anotehr guy might be addicted to something and trying to get off it. Tranforming the mind does not mean no troubles. It means that you can do better in that situation than you might otherwise.

As a Christian, personally, I think we have help and a lot of it :) BUt even non Christians can work on the mind, too.

Does that make sense!?

Whether you accept it or not is completely up to you. I personally wouldn't want to change. I wouldn't be the person I am without AS. I would also suggest that if a person were looking for information or ways in which to transform themselves in any way, they should maybe look somewhere other than the bible.

if you want it to disappear,that is entirely your wish,and there are quite a few aspies out there who want to be 'cured',but you couldnt become NT as your wiring was set before you were born,you would have to be born another person.

I would like to be truly born again and feel that I am cursed. But I feel that there must be a way out. I can accept that say for example, a person can not grow another arm. But when it comes to the wiring in the brain, I feel strongly that it can be changed. If I am wrong then I would feel devastated.

First off: I'm an atheist, I'm approaching this question from a purely scientific point of view. I don't want to invalidate anyone's belief in healing through prayer, although I personally do not believe in it.

From my perspective: No, you cannot be transformed. Autism is hardwired in your brain from birth, and because the pathways in your brain that handle information are different from neurotypical brains, your perception and interpretation of the world will differ from that of neurotypical people. That, you will have to accept.

However, the human psyche is malleable. While you cannot change the way your brain has been put together, you can change some aspects of your interaction with the world. Through therapy and exercises you can learn to deal with anxiety, improve social interactions, cope with negative thought loops. How much use therapy and exercises are is different for everyone and depends (among other things) on how ingrained certain behaviors are and how much effort you're willing to put in.

TLDR version: you can't change having autism, but you can work on some of the negative side effects.

I would like to be truly born again and feel that I am cursed. But I feel that there must be a way out. I can accept that say for example, a person can not grow another arm. But when it comes to the wiring in the brain, I feel strongly that it can be changed. If I am wrong then I would feel devastated.
what are your biggest struggles clintos?
its possible you might be eventually able to overcome them,which in effect would be like transforming?
there are lots of therapies and aids to help,but they wont overcome your actual thinking,that comes from within you,your core self.

who would want to curse you? that would have had to have happened before you were even born, i know in some cultures/religeons like islam they believe if a parent sins the child that is eventually born is cursed,but i dont think god under any religeon would want to curse his followers,he is supposed to be a kind,forgiving god isnt he? why would he curse you with aspergers, and make you want to not exist in your current form? that would be a rather evil god and to me i dont think evil and god can exist together,he forgives everyone,even if your parents 'sinned' he would forgive them.
what do you think?
Ps.im christian.

Interesting question. It outlines the principal disagreement between my cousin and myself that has created "distance" between us. She's very much into "self-help gurus" and truly believes that everything can be remedied with the power of positive thought.

Since I recognize inherent neurological limitations in such processes, she considers me a hindrance to her entire being and tends to treat me as less than who I am.

Essentially she honestly believes whatever neurological limitations I seem to have, can all be overcome as if they were only the result of a bad attitude. :rolleyes:

Though in a spiritual, cosmic sense I do believe that my own soul burdened me with such issues, as a kind of challenge. That we all carefully craft our next earthly incarnation from "the other side" which inevitably involves forms of toil for us all. We're here to struggle, grow...and be enlightened. We can't achieve this if we are perfect from the outset.

On this plane of existence we travel to in leading temporary lives, we are quite fragile. Yet with our true permanent existence we are incredibly magnanimous and resilient souls, who all choose to lead lives of varying types and degrees of struggle.

Last edited:
Interesting question. It outlines the principal disagreement between my cousin and myself that has created "distance" between us. She's very much into "self-help gurus" and truly believes that everything can be remedied with the power of positive thought.

Since I recognize inherent neurological limitations in such processes, she considers me a hindrance to her entire being and tends to treat me as less than who I am.

Essentially she honestly believes whatever neurological limitations I seem to have, can all be overcome as if they were only the result of a bad attitude. :rolleyes:

Though in a spiritual, cosmic sense I do believe that my own soul saddled me with such issues, as a kind of challenge. That we all carefully craft our next earthly incarnation from "the other side" which inevitably involves forms of toil for us all. We're here to grow...and be enlightened. We can't achieve this if we are perfect from the outset.
judge, i have had that attitude off a lot of support staff in my past, i wasnt being negative i was being factual about my actual issues, is it negative to type you cant verbally speak and you need a lorazepam because you have massive overload? how does positive thinking overcome that?

however,i do find having a positive outlook has helped me build a lot of strength to fight the negative impulses from my behaviors and difficulties,but it doesnt make it disappear.

judge, i have had that attitude off a lot of support staff in my past, i wasnt being negative i was being factual about my actual issues, is it negative to type you cant verbally speak and you need a lorazepam because you have massive overload? how does positive thinking overcome that?

however,i do find having a positive outlook has helped me build a lot of strength to fight the negative impulses from my behaviors and difficulties,but it doesnt make it disappear.

Exactly. In many cases one might "temper" such limitations. However making them go away to be "healed" is an absurd notion. Not everything can be viewed upon as something relative to attitude.

Though in the case of my cousin, even though she's heard me before try to explain how I cannot "learn" to adequately process sarcasm, she simply cannot accept or understand it. She just defaults to an old US Marine credo: "Can't Means Won't". :eek:

If only it was that easy. o_O

I try to view such things from this perspective. That our souls ARE transformed- with autism. Just not in a way the NT world may understand while on this temporary plane of existence. Yet when we all "return home" we are all on the same neurological plane, where all souls can all relate to one another.

Last edited:
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

I decided to look up the verse. I'm not a Christian, but I used to be one and really enjoyed Bible study. Anyhoo, I think the type of transformation being referred to might be an embracing of autism since it says not to conform. Read the verses after this one, that will give you more insight and fairly good advice I think. I don't mind the Christian scriptures when I consider the general spirit of them, though I do have a problem with how some people use them. Anyhoo, I generally hate my autism, too and should consider this portion of the Bible as well.

"I would also suggest that if a person were looking for information or ways in which to transform themselves in any way, they should maybe look somewhere other than the bible."[/QUOTE]

Xudo's advice above is good . There are a lot of books out there to learn from, even Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy can be of use depending on what you are wanting to get out of a book. If religion is important to you I'd recommend Quaker writings. The emphasis on simplicity is useful stuff and good for some transforming.

Whether you accept it or not is completely up to you. I personally wouldn't want to change. I wouldn't be the person I am without AS. I would also suggest that if a person were looking for information or ways in which to transform themselves in any way, they should maybe look somewhere other than the bible.

I'm looking everywhere I can whether that be buddhism or through numerous book's about evolution and self help, but can not find the answer. The closest I came to the answer is the bible. I am still searching for concrete evidence and feel I am close to finding the truth. Maybe in the next few chapters.

I'm looking everywhere I can whether that be buddhism or through numerous book's about evolution and self help, but can not find the answer. The closest I came to the answer is the bible. I am still searching for concrete evidence and feel I am close to finding the truth. Maybe in the next few chapters.

Not all truths are found in concise philosophies or religious dogma. Some aren't even on paper. Enlightenment can be a mysterious process...especially in that God may find you, or you may find God. Or that God may not be part of your spiritual journey at all.

The closest I came to the answer is the bible.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. If you were genuinely looking for the truth as to whether people on the spectrum can be "changed" then you need to be looking towards science.

I am still searching for concrete evidence and feel I am close to finding the truth. Maybe in the next few chapters.

You need to search somewhere else.

I've read Romans. I'm pretty sure that this verse means that you're renewed by being born-again in Christ. You now live to follow Jesus and serve God, instead of serving yourself.

Edit: Although, there's no hurt in asking God to heal you of Autism. Maybe he'll make a miracle.

Just like coral were once considered plants by scientist, but, are now considered to be wonderous animals. I hope to one day wake up and all a sudden say the scientists were wrong about Evolution.

Just like coral were once considered plants by scientist, but, are now considered to be wonderous animals. I hope to one day wake up and all a sudden say the scientists were wrong about Evolution.
Oh, I hope not because I might be rather sad:cry:. Evolution is so cool to me, including the time I was a Christian (Episcopalian, so it was no issue).:seedling: I love the idea of all of life gradually unfolding from one tiny thing, like some sort of vine emerging from a seed. :herb:It's so beautiful.

I've read Romans. I'm pretty sure that this verse means that you're renewed by being born-again in Christ. You now live to follow Jesus and serve God, instead of serving yourself.

Edit: Although, there's no hurt in asking God to heal you of Autism. Maybe he'll make a miracle.

Would it be considered a miracle if ones mind was radically changed from being a person with autism to being normal? like say for example I, who is house bound with crippling autism and agorophobia if I all a sudden was able to be a neurotypical who loves the outdoors, would that be a miracle? to me and imo it would be. I would not stop thanking God for it, because He, imo is the only one that would be able to do it. I tried everything I am 38 year old now and am not getting any younger, I could be hit by a truck like this:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

And never get a chance to be normal.

New Threads

Top Bottom