• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HelzBelz

I'm right on the tip of a burnout and know I need to make some changes if I want to stop myself tipping into the abyss, although I don't have the energy to think, process and take action. I've noticed a lot of aspies seem to go through regular burnout - have any of you found ways to cope when you feel yourself moving into the 'not coping' territory? I went through this about four years ago and my doctor kindly signed me off for three months 'sick leave' so I could stay home and regroup. I'm considering going back and asking if I can do this again, although it's hard to explain to others why I would need this. Any ideas how to turn down the volume on 'Life' so it's not so overwhelming? I've got barely any support, a job I'm struggling with and doing my best to raise five kids on my own. I'm truly grateful for my own home, but maintenance and upkeep is one more drain...

First of all, it sounds like you are doing great.

Burnout is common in this fast paced world, and far more prevalent than openly admitted. Of course for Aspies it is more common due to the energy needed to appear normal. Taking time out is really good for refreshing yourself.

Is there anyway you could go back in a part time fashion so you can build up to returning full time, of course financial pressure may make that not an option.

It's awesome that you are seeing this coming instead of being suddenly 'steamrollered' by it. :)

You and your children are the important and invaluable aspects. (Stating the obvious) However, this is a complicated question you pose here. If only there were simple answers; there are not, because the answers have to be tailored to individual circumstances. And especially it would seem in your case, as there are at least 6 people involved.

Taking time off so as to be in a centered and/or healing state of mind as well as to be close to one's children is probably a good thing. It depends how draining it is for you to be with your offspring 24/7.

I hope this doesn't seem flippant. It really is extremely good that you have caught this happening at this stage. It gives you a window so to speak, of time and your personal energy, to make some decisions.

So a quick update for anyone interested. I've reached out to see what help is available for my situation, and discovered that I am likely to be eligible to go on a benefit for full time carers of someone with a disability. Because my youngest takes up so much time and energy, above and beyond what is normal for her age I may be able to get financial help to stay home, be available as needed, and use her school hours to get jobs done that are difficult when she is home. I am going to my doc on Monday for him to fill out the medical side of things, but this is looking hopeful. It would be so very good to do this, as my other kids are constantly missing out on time and attention as the majority of things I do have to involve my youngest. So next step, see if I can push this through so I can get out of my job and focus on my family.

New Threads

Top Bottom