• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bullied Newcastle schoolgirl turned entrepreneur makes national awards shortlist...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Modified to remove the word "sufferer")

Emma Reilly is set to rub shoulders with star guests Kevin Spacey and Gemma Arterton at The Prince’s Trust Samsung Celebrate Success Awards

Sean Malyon
JS58403810.jpg

Young Ambassador with The Princes Trust Emma Emma Reilly

An Aspie girl who fought her way to success after battling the school life was made a misery by bullies is now set to be the envy of many as she prepares to mingle with Hollywood star Kevin Spacey and The X Factor’s Simon Cowell at an awards night in London where she is nominated for an honour.

Emma Reilly’s inspiring story has seen the 33-year-old triumph against the odds, having set up a clothes company and become a Young Ambassador for The Princes’ Trust.

And on Thursday she will be walking the red carpet at The Prince’s Trust Samsung Celebrate Success Awards, hosted by our own Ant and Dec, where she is one of three finalists from across the UK in with a chance of winning a royal accolade.

“It’s not something you get to do a lot, especially in
Newcastle - there aren’t many red carpet events,” said Emma, from Chapel House in Newcastle.

Emma is nominated for a Mappin and Webb Young Ambassador of the Year Award, which recognises those who have proved exceptional in the role and Emma has certainly made her mark.

She’s overcome the severe social phobia she developed after being bullied at school which at its height caused up to 15 panic attacks a day.

Her Asperger’s syndrome remained undiagnosed until three years ago and she said: “I didn’t understand why I couldn’t connect with people.

“I was badly bullied because I didn’t fit in very well. Then I had a bit of a breakdown and was housebound for about 12 years.”

A tragedy jolted her into changing her life, when her sister’s boyfriend was suddenly diagnosed with cancer and died.

“It was a wake-up call to all of us,” she recalled. “It changed my perspective on life.

“I decided I really wanted to do my own clothing line. When I used to get severe panic attacks, I would hide under the bed if anyone rang the doorbell and to calm down I would picture having my own fashion company and would design products in my head.”

JS50800092.jpg

Emma Reilly meeting Prince Charles
She successfully applied for The Prince’s Trust’s Enterprise programme which helps unemployed young people start up in business and the result is clothing line Brave and the Bold.

From T-shirts, she has moved into accessories and on Sunday launches a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter to help fund production of her new sunglasses range inspired by the colours of the local coastline.

She has met Prince Charles and become a Young Ambassador for the trust which involves volunteering her time, sharing her experience and inspiring other entrepreneurs and it’s here Emma that has ticked every box during Enterprise courses in Newcastle.

It’s all helped her grow in confidence and she is now able to face audiences as a public speaker which sees her share her story at fund-raising events around the UK.

So there are unlikely to be any nerves on the big night. The only matter causing a bit of a flutter is the chance of seeing Kevin Spacey.

“That would be pretty cool. I remember watching him in Seven,” she said.

Other star guests at the Oscars-style awards, sponsored by Samsung, at the Leicester Square Odeon will be James Bond actress Gemma Arterton and Arsenal legend and World Cup winner Thierry Henry, while singers Ella Henderson and James Bay will perform in celebration of young people who have succeeded against the odds.

Emma, who has just made a Kickstarter video featuring her sunglasses - vibrant beachwear designs called Whitleys, Longsands and Beach Breaks - intends to don a pair of her Longsands favourites to help her stand out on that red carpet.

She’s already made an impression on Elizabeth Galton, brand director of category sponsor Mappin Webb, who said: “Emma didn’t just change her own life but has been able to change others’ through her inner strength.

“Her new-found confidence and past experiences will no doubt help to inspire and motivate others. Emma is a hero and she should be proud of her achievements.”

SOURCE: Bullied Newcastle schoolgirl turned entrepreneur makes national awards shortlist - Chronicle Live

New Threads

Top Bottom