• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Books on aspergers syndrome

Warwick C

I thought it might be an interesting idea, through the members, to build up resource catalogue to help others.

I have read one book and about to read another. May be the feed back by memebers could help others as they progress.

The other book I have read is Congratulations you have aspergers, By jen Birch

I am about to read the book that I have posted both covers to help others.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 140
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 134
I have just had a quick flick through it so far. It appears to be laid out as to create building block (to create a life?). I am now thinking about buying a copy for myself, rather than borrowing it from the library.

I will post more once I start to read it.

The idea this thread is to provide an informed resource for others.

They have probably been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I may as well mention again that these are books on AS that I've read that I found to be worthwhile:

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood:

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome: Tony Attwood: 9781843106692: Amazon.com: Books

Atypical by Jesse Saperstein:

Amazon.com: Atypical: Life with Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters eBook: Jesse A. Saperstein: Kindle Store

Look Me in the Eye, Be Different, and Raising Cubby by John Elder Robison:

Amazon.com: Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's eBook: John Elder Robison: Books

Amazon.com: Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian with Practical Advice for Aspergians, Misfits, Families & Teachers eBook: John Elder Robison: Books

Amazon.com: Raising Cubby: A Father and Son's Adventures with Asperger's, Trains, Tractors, and High Explosives eBook: John Elder Robison: Books

Business for Aspies by Ashley Stanford:

Amazon.com: Business for Aspies: 42 Best Practices for Using Asperger Syndrome Traits at Work Successfully eBook: Ashley Stanford: Books

Asperger's on the Job by Rudy Simone

Amazon.com: Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism, and their Employers, Educators, and Advocates eBook: Rudy Simone: Kindle Store

(The author also wrote a book called Aspergirls that I haven't read: Amazon.com: Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome eBook: Rudy Simone: Books)

Love, Sex and Long-Term Relationships: What People with Asperger Syndrome Really Really Want by Sarah Hendrickx:

Amazon.com: Love, Sex and Long-Term Relationships: What People with Asperger Syndrome Really Really Want eBook: Sarah Hendrickx: Books

There's also this book, which didn't really have a lot of information that was useful to me but might be useful to others, particularly LGBT aspies:

Asperger's Syndrome and Sexuality: From Adolescence through Adulthood by Isabelle Henault:

http://www.amazon.com/Aspergers-Syn...8&qid=1387642418&sr=1-8&keywords=asperger+sex

Last edited:
Hoopman has written a few children's books on AS that might be useful in explaining the condition to children, here's one of them:

Last edited by a moderator:
This book I had a very hard time with, as I was reading it if felt as if he repeated things more than once and it eventually drove me to give up on the book and return it to the library.

I found some things in this helpful but still have yet to find another job since I finished reading it.

(The author also wrote a book called Aspergirls that I haven't read: Amazon.com: Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome eBook: Rudy Simone: Books)

This was the very first book I read about Asperger's and it seemed like every single thing I read related to me in some way or another. This is definitely a great book for females on the spectrum!

Butterfly _lady that was the sort of eed back I was hoping for. As it may give other people an idea of what to expect, with a book.

May this resource continue to grow.

The book build yor own life is layed out like building blocks with a summary at the end of each chapter, allowing you to build things up
in stages. I will be ordering a copy in the new year. The lay out suits my mind set.

I found the book "congatulations its aspergers" harder to read, more dis-jointed. It was laid out with Jen birchs biography for the first half, then the second half when into her findings about aspergers. How ever I understand it to be her thought process.

Last edited:
There are two books That I found really great even if you aren't a parent of a kids on the spectrum and a female.

Parenting Girls on the Autism Spectrum: Overcoming Challenges and Celebrating the Gifts by Eilen Riley-Hall

Asperger's in Pink By Julie Clark

Asperger's and Girls featuring Tony Attwood

Aspergirls by Rudy Simone was amongst the first books on Asperger's I read, and I would recommend almost any of her books (especially for other Aspie women), I found her book 22 Things a Woman with Asperger's Syndrome Wants Her Partner to Know was also good, and my partner enjoyed it as well - I think it is quite an encouraging read.

Right now I am reading Asperger Love: Searching for Romance When You're Not Wired to Connect which is interesting, but I am reluctant to recommend it until I have finished!

I liked ''Aspergers syndrome, the universe and evrything'' by Kenneth Hall, which I had to read when I was diagnosed for the third time (!) Highly recommended

I'm currently reading 'Asperger Syndrome in Adults - A Guide to Realizing (Sic) Your Potential' by Dr Ruth Searle

A field guide to Earthlings - an autistic/Asperger view of neurotypical behaviour , Ian Ford

Only just looked at the free sample on my kindle app, but I like the gentle humour and role reversal :)

Raising Martians - From Crash-Landing to Leaving Home: How to Help a Child with Asperger Syndrome or High-Functioning Autism

I haven't read it yet but it's in my Kindle. I am an Aspie - I don't have an Aspie child but I just like the title of this book. I've read good reviews about it.

'Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: a guide to successful stress management' by Nick Dubin is an excellent read, an Aspergers man himself!

Aspergers Syndrome: Teacher. UK

New Threads

Top Bottom