• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bird watching or video games?

I use to watch the birds outside my window and read about their types but now they don't come because our neighbour h's a cat.

I also like video games. They help me relax and give me common interests with people.

IMG_0417.JPG
I just picked up another suet cake and bag of cardinal mix. I enjoy birdwatching along with Jabba The Fluff. ;)

Birdwatching! I am looking forward to fall when the pelicans migrate through the area. Last year I was at just the right place at the right time and got to watch about 100 of them out catching fish. What I would love to do is go back to Nebraska in March to see the Sandhill cranes. It's so much fun standing out in the cold in the morning waiting for the sun to come up and the birds to wake up.

My job for three years from '11 to '13 was surveying birds in Minnesota so I did a lot of bird watching back then. I haven't really done any for the last few years though. I wasn't very good with visual identification, maybe even partly due to my sensory issues with ASD. I still wonder how other bird watchers remember the field marks so well. I was good with the songs though which is how the surveys were mostly done. I probably knew over 100 songs. The people I worked with knew more though. I also really like video games. Trying to find a new one right now. The last game I played that I really liked was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

My job for three years from '11 to '13 was surveying birds in Minnesota so I did a lot of bird watching back then. I haven't really done any for the last few years though. I wasn't very good with visual identification, maybe even partly due to my sensory issues with ASD. I still wonder how other bird watchers remember the field marks so well. I was good with the songs though which is how the surveys were mostly done. I probably knew over 100 songs. The people I worked with knew more though. I also really like video games. Trying to find a new one right now. The last game I played that I really liked was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

That must have been so much fun. I once sat in a cloud of mosquitoes and flies at a lake in Minnesota watching loons. Feel silly about that now. I was fishing, was it last year? at a nearby lake and a loon bobbed up in front of me. It was rather late for the guy to have just been passing through or still here from winter. From the loon sounds I heard on that camping trip I think there was actually a pair nesting. That is really surprising to me since this is Missouri. Not sure how common it is. Anyhoo, birds obviously don't read the bird guides.

View attachment 36761 I just picked up another suet cake and bag of cardinal mix. I enjoy birdwatching along with Jabba The Fluff. ;)

I would be willing to bet that Jabba the Fluff is watching the birds for a totally different reason than you are. My wife and I put out wild bird seed in feeders every summer. We also have a couple of Humming Bird feeding stations. We enjoy watching the birds, but have to close the doggy door when we are watching. The dogs really like chasing birds.

I do both.

We get heaps of kookaburras, whip birds, parrots and rain forest birds in our garden, and I've been watching a pair of wedge tailed eagles soaring down the valley this week. I keep missing them with the binoculars though.

I play war and scifi shooters and some adventure games like Wicher 3. Also silly tablet games when I;m overloaded.

Birdwatching! I am looking forward to fall when the pelicans migrate through the area. Last year I was at just the right place at the right time and got to watch about 100 of them out catching fish. What I would love to do is go back to Nebraska in March to see the Sandhill cranes. It's so much fun standing out in the cold in the morning waiting for the sun to come up and the birds to wake up.

I get to see and hear a mass of Canadian geese that stop here and sometimes winter, or sometimes they keep going south. They are kind of noisy but its pleasant to hear them honking at each other... I just wonder what they are saying... I think its, "Are we there yet, are we there yet" and the next bird says, "are we there yet?"

Birdwatching. Always know that spring has finally arrived up here, when the big V lines of canada geese come in. You can hear them honking from quite a distance away. I've seen egrets, hawks, eagles and vultures and snowy owls and many other birds come here to nest and have their young and then they fledge. Every year I wait for them to arrive. The ones who stay through the cold months are the crows and some owls and the woodpeckers, the only birds I hear and see all winter.

This year, one month ago when I was out in my garden, I heard a sound I'd never heard in my life before. A group of birds were up quite high, and they were big, bigger than anything I'd ever seen. They were cranes I think, flying north and making a sound that was new to me.

Last edited:
I think it's funny to translate bird song.

Often so beautiful, but I think it's mostly just;

"Hello darlin' look at me!"

and

"piss of you lot, this is my tree"

Does anybody else like bird watching or video games?
Bird watching/nature watching outside my door, an atrium one of reason not sure if ever quit smoking, go outside I watch and listen to birds, watch the squirrels play, notice trees ,sometimes imagine how place would look when that tree was young

Birds are plentiful around the house as there are woods out back and ponds. I'm always aware of the bird sounds and it's so nice to have a lot of birds around to watch. I like the large ones in particular like the eagles, falcons, hawks and owls. Also the ones that like the ponds come walking up to the back yard all the time. Egrets, Great blue herons, woodstorks, Canadian geese certain times of the year. And lots of Sandhill Cranes here.

I like playing games at Pogo. They are simple, but, I get lost in them for hours. Especially poker games.
Sandhill 006.JPG

Video games. Mainly RPG's, but I do also play FPS from time to time. I got really into Destiny. I also love Minecraft.

Video games are pretty much my central interest.

However, I dont do consoles too much because they're way too restrictive; I'm mostly a PC gamer since the selection of games is so much bigger. I do have a Nintendo Switch though, it's nice enough though it has very few games. I also have a PS4 but it's very rarely used and I dont even know where it is right now (and dont care enough to find it).

I rarely play AAA games. Very rarely. They just arent interesting anymore. Every now and then there's an exception... I actually liked Destiny, for example, and I still like Nintendo's stuff... but mostly I stick to indie games or other non-AAA stuffs.

I play alot of shmups and roguelikes. Both are extremely difficult genres. I also really love Minecraft.

Birds, on the other hand... as far as I'm concerned, the entire function of birds around my area is to stupidly fly directly in front of my car and startle me. Over and over again. So I'm not too fond of the little twerps. Perhaps other areas contain smarter birds, but not here. I love nature though.

New Threads

Top Bottom