1. Welcome to Aspies Central, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best And Worst Jobs For Aspergers Adults

Discussion in 'Autism Spectrum News, Events and Research' started by Pedro, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Source/Original article: My Aspergers Child: Best and Worst Jobs for Aspergers Adults

• Like Like x 1
  2. Geordie

Geordie Geordie

I know at least a couple of Aspies doing accounting work. Kudos to them...

3. jonathan

jonathan Well-Known Member

Isn't this a re-write of Temple Grandin's article on jobs for people with A.S.D's?

Though I can agree with stocking shelves, it's what I do for a living right now and assuming you get along fairly well with your boss it's an awesome job. On top of that you're also isolated from social interaction for periods of time, which I think is when and where we perform our best. Granted it doesn't pay as much as the careers listed but at least it's something.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  4. Geordie

Geordie Geordie

At least, stacking shelves is a job.

5. epath13

epath13 the Fool.The Magician.The... V.I.P Member

"? Receptionist and telephone operator -- Would have problems when the switch board got busy"

I might disagree with this one. It is probably true for lots of people on the spectrum but it wasn't for me. I worked (temporarily) as a receptionist and also had another job on the phone. I loved it when it was busy. I didn't have to wait. I didn't notice how the time flew by. But I actually quit one of those jobs because I couldn't stand waiting for a phone call. I would, sort of, get into a conversation mode and breaks between phone calls switched me off. When somebody called I needed a few minutes to readjust. Of course I didn't have a few minutes... so it was very stressful. The weird part is - I think, if I had to meet those people face to face instead of talking to them on the phone I wouldn't mind waiting :) have no clue why...

6. Occasional_Demon

Occasional_Demon Well-Known Member

That article was okay, but I don't know what demographic the author had in mind. I guess I actually found the article dispiriting because a lot of the jobs are fairly low-income, non-professional work. Almost like, you have ASD, therefore you should lower your sights because that's all you're good for. It seemed constricting, or perhaps I have read too much into the article's suggestions.

7. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I don't know.

8. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I have the exact same objections.

9. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I'm a futures market trader.

10. Spinning Compass

Spinning Compass Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

My job, before my duties changed, was NOT a good job for an Aspy. It pushed all my buttons. It was fast-paced stressful, requiring juggling of multiple deadlines and projects, some simple and quickly done and others complex and time-consuming. It did not matter if you were in the middle of a project that called for intense focus, you had to be able to switch gears at the drop of a hat. And yet, I survived one major and two minor layoffs and I am still there.

On the other hand, it was a very good job for an Aspy, because it required attention to detail and ability to focus on what some people would call repetitive, boring tasks (data entry). So go figure. I don't think you can pigeon-hole people and jobs. Also, we tend to underestimate our ability to adapt when necessary. If I had stuck to Aspy-friendly jobs, I might not have been challenged to grow as much as I have.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted