• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being awkward

Caitie33

Narcissist? Sociopath? Just a total jerk? No worries now these traits are socially acceptable. You should have no problem making friends, being popular even. But god forbid that you should be awkward. Having such a personality will result in ostracism and isolation by both peers and family.

The way I see it the personality traits you named are displays of confidence while awkwardness is a sort of display of innocence, and in this wonderful world where NTs have empathy and morality oozing out of every orifice they see what could be considered weakness and tear that **** apart.

@Caitie33

What sort of 'awkward'?
Physical? Like dropping things, stumbling, poor muscle control..etc
Or like not replying immediately when spoken to, cringing in crowds (2 or more people),
focusing mostly on what you're thinking about rather than what's happening externally....

Or what?
What forms of awkwardness do you believe lead to ostracism & isolation?

Narcissist? Sociopath? Just a total jerk? No worries now these traits are socially acceptable. You should have no problem making friends, being popular even. But god forbid that you should be awkward. Having such a personality will result in ostracism and isolation by both peers and family.

Yup, all though those traits have been around since the begining of time it would appear they are now socially acceptable. I mean c'mon, the President of America Ran a campaign on all three personalitys you first mentioned and he won. There is even a video of commentators o fox news mocking an autistic CHILD and thinking its funny. Im tellin ya arse-holery is more accpeted then being slightly quirky sadly

I love this post!

There are large segments of the population the emphasize "understanding" for people who are basically terrible, but when it comes to being "awkward", no one cares to understand it.

What does this mean? I'm not sure I have an answer right now. But somewhere along the line, there's a disconnect or some kind of horrible inconsistency with what people SAY and what they they DO when it comes to "understanding" for people who are different.

Yup, all though those traits have been around since the begining of time it would appear they are now socially acceptable. I mean c'mon, the President of America Ran a campaign on all three personalitys you first mentioned and he won. There is even a video of commentators o fox news mocking an autistic CHILD and thinking its funny. Im tellin ya arse-holery is more accpeted then being slightly quirky sadly

Don't believe everything (or Anything, for that matter) the Media says about our Current President, they are Masters of Fake News! They hate him and they've gone Insane about it! They're encouraging Rioters!!! The Media are Bullies!!! Hillary Clinton is ten times the bully Donald Trump could dream of being! She called developmentally delayed children (Fffing R****s) She IS Not our friend folks!

As an aspie diagnosed after I was more than a half century old, I can certainly grasp & agree with what the poster meant here. I've been "weird" since I can remember, & like many of us, was scapegoated with fairly catastrophic results in my family of origin. But the "family hero" who is 4 years older than I (& who made my daily life hell as a child), is demonstrably a narcissistic sociopath to this day. He can literally write history, so to speak, & despite all evidence contrary to what he pronounces to be the truth, the family still considers him as... well, almost a god. Which is ironic, because growing up he regularly pronounced to all we younger kids that he was, indeed, God. And he wasn't kidding. It's beyond reasoning, even without having A.S., how these absurdities happen. It's just the way of the world, I 'spose. We may be strange, but only because we're strangers in a strange land.

New Threads

Top Bottom