• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Linked to Genetic Mutation – and Researchers Say They Can Undo It

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

The genetic roots of autism have been investigated for more than a decade, as DNA sequencing has continued to improve. A new, early study points to a particular mutation in mice causing autistic-like behavior, adding to a list of potential causes.

But the scientists also say they’ve tracked the chemical trail from the genetic anomaly – and they have found a way to reverse the entire process, adding a new wrinkle to the research.

052815_lw_autism.jpg

New research by Yan and her coauthors describes the cellular and molecular basis behind some autistic behaviors and suggests potential biomarkers and pharmaceutical targets. (Credit: School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo)

“We observed a robust and long-lasting rescue of the social interaction deficits and repetitive behavior (in the mice),” said Zhen Yan, professor of the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at the University Buffalo (SUNY), who led the study. “Our results suggest a promising therapeutic strategy for treating autism.”

The paper, published today in Cell Reports, focused on the role of Shank3, a gene that has been identified in autism in prior studies.

Yan and her colleagues found a Shank3 mutation that causes disrupted communication between neurons, and social deficits in the laboratory mice, they said.

The affected mice had drastically reduced interest in interacting with others. They would also repetitively groom themselves, the scientists found.

Because of the Shank3 mutation, the mice were not able to regulate actin filaments, which are crucial to carrying information in the brain’s prefrontal cortex, where “high-level” executive functions are made, the research found.

However, by chemically treating the deficits and other anomalies, the mice were “rescued” from the autism-like behaviors, the scientists discovered.

“Thus, targeting actin regulators provides a strategy for autism treatment,” Yan wrote, adding that it suggests potential pharmaceutical targets for treatment.

Autism’s causation factors, which are only becoming better understood in last two decades, remain a mystery. Since the disorder spectrum shows such diversity of symptoms and behaviors, even diagnosis is a challenge in the early stages of development.

However, experts at the National Institutes of Health and elsewhere continue to believe that genetics and environment play some role in causing autism.

The University at Buffalo study is not the first to focus on genetic factors – or even the Shank3 gene. Last year, a study of nine children conducted by the Seaver Autism Center in New York City found that short-term treatment of Shank3-affected autistic children with Insulin-like Growth Factor, or IGF, improved social interaction and reduced repetitive behaviors.

The Autism Genome Project has been searching for a wide swath of genetic causation of spectrum disorders since 2004. According to the advocacy group Autism Speaks, clinicians can now identify the genetic basis of some 10 to 20 percent of autism cases.

But the efforts have appeared to ramp up since DNA analysis has become more widely available, and cheaper. In March, a team at Johns Hopkins University studied the rare tendency of some autism disorders to run among the females in families. Through genetic sequencing of those families, the scientists identified the CTNND2 gene as a driver of certain autism disorders, as published in the journal Nature.

SOURCE: Autism Linked to Genetic Mutation – and Researchers Say They Can Undo It

Not the genetic mutation I was expecting. But if it can be reversed, that'd be good for those that hate having autism. I just hope they don't make it mandatory and force it on those of us who like having autism.

It's likely that this will often be at a parent's discretion, so those subject to the treatment will often not have a choice. In these cases, the patent's identity will likely be formed under the influence of treatment, and any autistic traits might become ego-alien.

I am not really sure how I feel about this news. I always think it's fascinating when a gene is linked to a phenotype. I also believe this could prevent a great deal of suffering. But what would we be losing through this treatment? Are we eliminating a certain type of personality because it is considered an inconvenience?

Interestingly, if this treatment becomes popularized it will likely result in an increase of people with autism genes. This seems like a very good business move as the drug, in a generation or two, will essentially create its own demand. If the drug suddenly became scarce or unpopular afterward it could also result in a much more autistic society.

Can anyone find out the peptide sequence for TAT-p-cofilin peptide? That's what they used in the mice intravenously.

I like the direction of the research and I do think it is a promising way forward with deriving treatments for ASDs. It is likely that pharmaco-therapy is the most obvious option, and currently there are no pharmacological therapies that address the core systems of ASD:

New research by Yan and her coauthors describes the cellular and molecular basis behind some autistic behaviors and suggests potential biomarkers and pharmaceutical targets.

But there are so many problems, not with the researchers and their direction; it just seems like this news article makes claims that were not proposed by the research itself.

A new, early study points to a particular mutation in mice causing autistic-like behavior, adding to a list of potential causes.
Wait, so what about the hundreds of other SNPs that have been shown to have a correlation with autism? There's only 6017 results when I search for "genetics + autism". Maybe I'll just pick one because I don't understand how multiple factors could be involved.

Are they suddenly no longer part of the picture? "Causes" does NOT equal "risk factors". Please review basic math concepts - correlation does not equal causation would be a good place for you to start.

Because of the Shank3 mutation, the mice were not able to regulate actin filaments, which are crucial to carrying information in the brain’s prefrontal cortex, where “high-level” executive functions are made, the research found.
"Because of"? No. That's assuming the hypothesis is correct without establishing that that is true.
How can you rule out this recent study, which also proposes damage to the frontal cortex may underlie autism risk, but as a result of neurotoxins (organochlorine pesticide) instead of genetic factors?
These data clearly demonstrate the deleterious repercussions of exposure to the organochlorine pesticide, endosulfan, during critical periods of neurodevelopment, with significant alterations to select synaptic proteins in the GABAergic, glutamatergic, and dopaminergic neurotransmitter circuits that innervate the frontal cortex.
Sure, there are impairments in cortical function. But I've read up on the literature quite a bit, and there's a strong pool of evidence to support the notion that multiple areas of the CNS being altered, including subcortical structures. You might want to take a refresher course on that neuroanatomy course that you flunked in med school.
We found ASD-related hyperactivation in subcortical structures, including bilateral thalamus, bilateral caudate, and right precuneus, and ASD-related hypoactivation in the hypothalamus during emotional-face processing. Sub-analyses with more homogeneous contrasts preserved the findings of the main analysis such as hyperactivation in sub-cortical structure. Jackknife analyses showed that hyperactivation of the left caudate was the most robust finding. Conclusions. Abnormalities in the subcortical structures, such as amygdala, hypothalamus and basal ganglia, are associated with atypical emotional-face processing in individuals with ASD.
It's just frustrating because suggesting a prefrontal cause almost travels the slippery slope that some might argue that autism can be "cured by thinking". It also suggests everything happens cortically. The latency of the cortex, say 300ms, is much slower than the latency of subcortical regions, because sensory information must travel through afferent fibers that must first travel through the brainstem before reaching the cortex. There's plentiful research on autonomic responses to sensory stimuli occurring in autistic individuals that falls out of the typical range, and happens much more quickly than it takes for those senses to be processed by the cortex.

A study on the neural basis of emotional face processing in autism, since apparently I'm not competent enough in my magical abilities to create ideas magically from nothing:
We found ASD-related hyperactivation in subcortical structures, including bilateral thalamus, bilateral caudate, and right precuneus, and ASD-related hypoactivation in the hypothalamus during emotional-face processing. Sub-analyses with more homogeneous contrasts preserved the findings of the main analysis such as hyperactivation in sub-cortical structure. Jackknife analyses showed that hyperactivation of the left caudate was the most robust finding. Conclusions. Abnormalities in the subcortical structures, such as amygdala, hypothalamus and basal ganglia, are associated with atypical emotional-face processing in individuals with ASD.

Since the disorder spectrum shows such diversity of symptoms and behaviors, even diagnosis is a challenge in the early stages of development.
You should probably know what a "spectrum" is before using it. You seem to suggest that one either has the disorder, or doesn't. Perhaps this is stated better: one either has the diagnosis, or one doesn't. But the use of diagnostic categories does not mean that it is a spectrum trait, because you've referred to it as such.

Spectrum rather means that individuals exhibit traits at varying levels of severity. So how can a single gene explain the varying degrees of expression? Could there possibly be any other factors involved? Of course, not in your article.

However, experts at the National Institutes of Health and elsewhere continue to believe that genetics and environment play some role in causing autism.
Medicine and health stems from science and follows the scientific method. One of the fundamental principles underlying the scientific method involves that studies be falsifiable. If you assume that your results are right and cannot be wrong, then it is not scientific.

The University at Buffalo study is not the first to focus on genetic factors – or even the Shank3 gene.
There are studies that go back to 1978-1988, or 36 years ago. Wow, suddenly this doesn't seem like news anymore, but it's not science either. Hm.
Autism and genetics. A decade of research. [Archives of General Psychiatry, 1988]

A search on shank3 + autism on pubmed yields 124 results. Wait, does that mean the research reported in the news article isn't the first?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom