• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and inanimate objects?

I have a few keepsakes I'm very attached to that represent times and people I've left behind. I also tend to wear a kind of symbolic necklace of superstition. I'm not really religious but I usually feel anxious and vulnerable so having that extra layer of (probably false) sense of security is nice. And I think it looks fashionable.

My older brothers would try to make me lose my favorite toys, or toss them...they were not nice to me.
they made me lose my bobbing penguin :penguin: in a Gold Fish :tropicalfish:pond in Hong Kong I think?

I can not remember them ever playing nice with me ever...not even once?:confused:

I'm very attached to my dolls in my collection,it's been a helpful hobby and interest over the years for me.

I was obsessively attached to a stuffed bunny growing up. It was the weirdest thing... a sort of knitted pale pink stuffed bunny that look more like a bear but had these long soft ears. Apparently one of a kind. I, rather unimaginatively, named it Teddy.

I could not sleep without it. In fact I would have a tantrum if it wasn't with me at nights. This prevailed until I was about fifteen. And while I still have Teddy, it is less relied upon and he now has a comfortable spot in my closet.

When I was a kid I had a bobblehead of Nala from The Lion King I got from a cereal box that I carried around everywhere I went. Even to church. I don't carry it around anymore but I still have it in a box in my closet. Can't throw it away, it was part of my childhood! :p And actually, I have a lot of other old things from my childhood and adolescence too. I try to keep everything for the memories.

I did this. I had a whole shoe box filled with all kinds of things.

Until I moved out and my sister threw out everything from my room that I hadn't taken straight away. It still annoys me, but thankfully I can't remember what was in there altogether.

I was obsessively attached to a stuffed bunny growing up. It was the weirdest thing... a sort of knitted pale pink stuffed bunny that look more like a bear but had these long soft ears. Apparently one of a kind. I, rather unimaginatively, named it Teddy.

I could not sleep without it. In fact I would have a tantrum if it wasn't with me at nights. This prevailed until I was about fifteen. And while I still have Teddy, it is less relied upon and he now has a comfortable spot in my closet.
I had a stuffed blue bunny my Grandmother helped me sew after my brothers talked my parents into tossing my stuffed Queens royal guard toy out that I took everywhere with me. I made clothes for the bunny and everything...my older brothers made a bunny for my younger brother, but theirs looked like a ugly over stuffed Blue mutant potato...because they didn't care enough to sew it right.
I guess my brothers hated me because I would talk about bad stuff they were doing, not knowing it would get them in trouble. They were bad allot...tried to poison me once at a tea party to get even for me getting them in trouble once accidently.:confused:
One of them like to steal my deserts too!:confused:
Bad subject I guess?:confused:

Last edited:

Until I moved out and my sister threw out everything from my room that I hadn't taken straight away. It still annoys me, but thankfully I can't remember what was in there altogether.

Oh my word, I'd be furious if someone did that to me.

I don't think 'attachment' is what I would use in my case, but I do sometimes become sort of 'fond' of certain objects. So, for example, I have given my car a name (Hobbes) and even talk to it just for the sake of it;)

I was often told when I was a kid that talking to inanimate objects is the first sign of madness. My response has always been that someone will first have to define madness for me. Even Jung said that if you showed him a sane man he would cure him - so, by his own assumptions, he must have been insane o_O

I am fond of some inanimate objects because of the associations they have. My question would be whether there is anyone who holds on to inanimate objects because they are afraid of giving them up, perhaps because of the fear of something unpleasant happening if they do - superstitious attachments.

Books, indeed. However, after about 30 years of reading, it is now the content more than the actual book. I have "beater books" which are copies of the treasured texts I keep at home. These beater books I can take with me to the gym etc. They are torn to shred, but the information I was able to glean remains priceless.

Also I wear the same clothes every day, sometimes the actual clothes, not jsut the genre. It is hard to wash the PJs for instance, because I am always in them. If i wash them, what am I to wear? I have "beater clothes" to wear while washing them, but I hate that. I want those clothes.

BUt as to like objects? I can't think of one. I used to care more but I was displaced a few times and realized all that sh** was useless.

So, for example, I have given my car a name (Hobbes) and even talk to it just for the sake of it;)

I named my old car Panthro, because the exact colour listed on the log book was "panther black". I also used to talk to it, but it was usually more just me shouting at it when something went wrong :D It eventually died a death in the middle of me driving it, on my 29th birthday :rolleyes:

I was often told when I was a kid that talking to inanimate objects is the first sign of madness.

I must be mad then. :confused:

As a kid I had a stuffed bunny in a dress. I just called her bunny XD I'd hold her super close when I was having anxiety.

Now I attach to necklaces I can hold, or use to rub between my fingers.

Well, I uhhh... tend to be notably attatched to specific pens, and will often freak out if they aren't where I keep them, or if I leave one somewhere and my mom just puts it away somewhere. I have even gotyen into a skuffing with someone for taking one of my pens. It was just an ordinary ZGrip pen.
Although the pens I keep now are all those metal Zebra M204's, which are the ones that can handle my aggressive luggage life.

Anyone else get attached to inanimate objects? Such as Keychains, pens, pencils, bags or purses, etc.

. . .

An example would be: I bought a Keychain at Meijer, it was a fuzzy pineapple. I grew attached to it and even named it like you would a stuffed animal and decided it was a he. . .

Anyone else do this or experience this? Is it just me or is it something with having autism?

View attachment 30222

I've heard of NTs being attached to a specific items, or sometimes they might collect things.. For instance, I collect memorabilia from a few band artists I like. I could probably only consider parting with them if I decided to try to sell them and could get a high price for them.

Most people would be annoyed or furious too. My mom has done stuff like this before to me. Usually she just adjusts things around constantly even if they are definitely in good working order. One thing that pisses me off is that even though it's okay for her to touch my stuff even when unnecessary, she has yelled at me for recycling her expired coupons. Ridiculous.

I sleep with a big stuffed shark called Cooper [emoji1]

20160911_211356.jpg

Kevin says hi :D

Definitely stuffed toys. I even just got a Jellycat (brand) bunny for Christmas from my husband! And I am amassing quite the collection of Tsum Tsums-- I have a pile of the medium sized ones on my couch right now.

I also am quite attached to my book collection. I buy books constantly....

New Threads

Top Bottom