• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and Buddhism

I am thinking of studying buddhism, is buddhism compatible with autism?

Does anyone know about buddhism and whether it's a good idea, I am thinking of switching from Christianity to become a buddhist or atheist because some people in the christian faith think that people with autism are inferior and need to be healed instead of accepted and accommodated.
Hi Clintos,

I have been a practicing Tibetan Buddhist for nearly fourteen years. When it comes to practicing Buddhism, as with everything else in life, my Asperger's has been both an advantage and obstacle. For me, having AS has meant that studying the Dharma (the Buddha's teachings) has been easier, at least in an intellectual sense, but maintaining mindfulness has, perhaps, been more difficult. However, it's important to remember that everyone experiences obstacles when they follow a spiritual path.

In the fundamental teachings Lord Buddha describes a particular type of human life as necessary for someone to be able to follow the Buddhist path. This life must have certain freedoms and conditions that provide a person the necessary time and space to follow the path. One of these is the possession of 'sound senses' which basically means that one has the ability to experience the world accurately through the sense or, to put it more bluntly, that one's brain isn't damaged in some way. Another possession is the ability to see the link between cause and effect in your life.

So, unless someone is extremely low functioning and has severe learning difficulties; or, is so extremely mentally inflexible that they cannot see any link between their actions and experienced consequences they should be able to follow the Buddhist path. I would add that Buddhism is an inherently logical path and Lord Buddha repeatedly urged his followers to test all Buddhist propositions against the reality of their own lives, as if they were biting a gold nugget to test if it's real gold. As we are an inherently logical population we can take confidence from this.

However, these are only my views and I am a very ordinary practitioner of one form of Buddhism. It's important to remember that, from a Buddhist perspective, we all have different karmic potentialities and therefore Buddhism will not be suitable for everyone. The only way of ascertaining this is to find out more and gain some experience of the different traditions within Buddhism. It's important to remember that Buddhism is still in it's infancy in the west and there is much much confusion and deliberate misinformation about Buddhism, especially on the internet with many people appointing themselves as teachers with no authority to do so.

I would advise you to read widely and try to find a teacher who is embedded in a true lineage and not simply teaching from the narrowness of his own perception. I am a Tibetan Buddhist who is part of the Dechen Dharma Community. We have a website (WWW.DECHEN.ORG) which has basic information about Buddhism generally and the Tibetan tradition in particular. That may be a good place to start. We have beginners classes regularly in centres and groups across the UK, Europe and America. If Tibetan Buddhism is not for you then I'm sure they will be able to signpost you to a more suitable group.

I apologize if I've rambled on but I care deeply that people make an authentic connection with the Dharma because the consequences of receiving instruction from a charlatan are too great.

I hope you make an indestructible connection with the authentic Dharma that leads you to true happiness.

I'm personally an atheist. You can be whatever religion or non-religion you want to be as long as it is not harmful to others. Atheists and agnostics could certainly fit in with people on the spectrum in that all groups may feel excluded to the mainstream, so one can bond over this concept alone. Religion or lack there of, I consider a personal choice, and one that everyone should have the right to make on their own.

I have schizo-affective and autism and I studied buddhism for a few weeks and got a weird vibe about something that I can not pin point. Not saying it's related to buddhism But like earlier in this thread someone mentioned that they or someone they know went psychotic studying buddhism and it happened to me, not to sure why? I am a very superstitious person that believes in ghosts/spirits, heaven/hell. I am currently an athiest imo that is studying Christianity now. All I know is that I went through a weird situation where I couldn't send 100% signals from my brain to my body for days and it was the scariest thing I ever went through. I am currently quitting drinking alcohol,marijuana and my adderal. because I want to make sure it isn't related to why I went psychotic. I am thankful to make a full recovery to where I can use the computer and do things like before. Maybe at a later date I will give Buddhism another try but I can not risk this happening again.

Maybe I'll give it another shot next year when all the toxins are out of my body and when my meds are stabilized through my psychiatrist.

I am thinking of studying buddhism, is buddhism compatible with autism?

Does anyone know about buddhism and whether it's a good idea, I am thinking of switching from Christianity to become a buddhist or atheist because some people in the christian faith think that people with autism are inferior and need to be healed instead of accepted and accommodated.

I haven't read every post in this thread, so please accept my apology if I am repeating what someone else has already said. I personally think of Buddhism at it's core even more like a spiritual philosophy and practice than as a religion. There is a cosmology that goes along with it, but I don't think you necessarily have to believe in the cosmology (I could be wrong about that). I think the some of the spiritual principles and practices of Buddhism could help people regardless of what spiritual path they are on. I think there are parallels with the spiritual teachings of other religions. The most useful book I read on Buddhism was "What the Buddha Taught". Others might find it dry or think there are other books that might be better.

Studying Buddhism will be beneficial. Practicing Buddhism will provide you with new perspective and tools for living.

Modern Western Buddhism is not the same as the traditional Buddhist sects which emerged from India, Thailand and Tibet. Take the time to learn about each. Japanese Zen Buddhism is also very interesting. Modern Western Buddhism is an evolution of all these with greater focus on compassion, kindness and the happiness of all beings.

*Before attending a Vipassana, a silent 10 day retreat where you can't speak, write, read, or listen to anything other than the teacher for 9 days 24/7, speak to other practitioners on the spectrum and choose your venue for crowd size and less environmental distractions. It is hardcore meditation which will take you too your deepest darkest places as part of a fast-track to self-awareness and enlightenment but seek advice first.

New Threads

Top Bottom