• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspiewomen: Adult Women with Asperger's

Mia

V.I.P Member
Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | Tania A. Marshall, M.Sc.

Females with Asperger Syndrome experience their symptoms in varying levels, so while some Aspienwomen are highly introverted, others are not. Many women would not meet formal criteria for a diagnosis due to their coping mechanisms. They would be defined as “sub-clinical”, “residual Aspergers”, otherwise known as Broader Autism Phenotype (BAP). Females with Asperger Syndrome or Autism tend to be discriminated due to the wide spectrum of abilities or levels of functioning that exists. The majority of females do not receive a formal diagnosis until well into their adult years.

Interesting blog and article with many interpretations of what it is to be a female aspie.

Like I like to joke, it's not that there are less female Aspies than there are male Aspies, we just know how to be sneakier like little ninjas! :p

Like I like to joke, it's not that there are less female Aspies than there are male Aspies, we just know how to be sneakier like little ninjas! :p

ngbbs4849ccc0b279f.gif

As I read that article, I almost felt as if it was an exert from the autobiography I haven't written yet. So many of those things apply to me.

I have read this and i could relate too a lot in this it described my life so accurately that I'm amazed that this wasn't picked up earlier in my life,A lot of stuff in it was like they have written a book about my own life.

I recall coming across this article when I was researching AS for work. The vast majority of it describes my life exactly. Other elements, that are not true at present(ie. having difficulties making friends, being taken advantage of) were true earlier in my life.

Still, I am not comfortable self diagnosing, but looking at my issues through the lens of Asperger's has lent me a great deal of insight. I no longer feel guilty about doing the things I need to do in order to self regulate. I now stim more openly in socially acceptable ways. I no longer hesitate to turn down social invitations if the prospect generates anxiety. I make time, even cutting back on work, in order to pursue my interests and be alone. I am also kinder to my senses, wearing sunglasses during the day or in florescent lit areas.

I, on the other hand, don't connect that much to what I read of it, except for the stuff that seems to me like it would be just as applicable for males (such as preferring to be alone and having trouble with eye contact). I think despite the fact that I'm biologically female, my autism presents itself in a masculine manner.

New Threads

Top Bottom