• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'Aspies' and Cats

Bellatrix

Space Left Deliberately Blank
I'm just curious, but why do so many who claim to be autistic (or an "Aspie") like cats as well? I don't understand it, what's the attraction? I myself have never really been all that attracted to them (it must have something to do with my robotic, Sheldonesque lack of empathy).

I love cats. Currently I have three of them. Two of them are kittens and they're hyper and fun to play with. The other one is a senior Maine Coon we've had for almost ten years. He's not as hyper as he used to be but he's still pretty active and healthy. All three of them, depending on their mood, are extremely sweet and loving. That's one of my favorite things about cats; they have a reputation for being aloof, and sometimes they are, but other times they're the opposite. Sometimes they come up to me, rub against me and beg for affection, then purr loudly when they get it. I love it.

That's the best I can explain the attraction, at least mine. Also cats normally don't lick you, jump on you and run around you like dogs do, and they poop in a box instead of having to be let out. I find dogs very repulsive for those reasons and feel the opposite way about them than I do about cats.

Last edited:
I'm a cat lady. I currently have two adult cats. It's hard to summarize what's so appealing about cats to someone that doesn't see the appeal though. I love looking at them, petting them, hearing all the different types of sounds they make depending on their moods and what they want from me. I think I love the combination of independence and affection these critters have.

I like cats, but at the same time I find them to be annoying. It's hard to say logically what the deal is. I think it stems from loving animals in general, and the superficial affection that cats give.

I am not into any form of animal. I could never see an animal suffer, but have no desire to own animals, which is rather ironic, because we have two small dogs, but that is because my husband is the animal lover!

I like one of our dogs actually, but in truth, I forget to show them affection; just once in a while I remember.

We have owed two cats and both were more annoying to me, than a pleasure.

I hate mess and dogs cause mess ie hair and smell and whatnots.

I do suspect it has something to do with being forced into a situation where a dog was concerned; so choice was removed from me and that set into motion a sort of "holding my hands up in a back away" kind of feeling.

Ps: I generally feed our dogs; could not see them go hungry and when they are in pain, my heart hurts for them, but on a general basis, they annoy me and so glad that their "dad" takes them with him when he goes out.

I'm not really into cats. So I can't really tell you what the attraction is.

I much prefer dogs. They are honest, affectionate, and see the joy in every situation. Cats demand food and attention then ignore you, knock things of shelves because they can, hiss, scratch, spit, oh and stink.

I used to have a beautiful black cat. Unfortunately I eventually decided to give her away due to not having the time or energy to care for her as she needed. Her new family is able to give her a much better home than I ever was.

I'm just curious, but why do so many who claim to be autistic (or an "Aspie") like cats as well? I don't understand it, what's the attraction? I myself have never really been all that attracted to them (it must have something to do with my robotic, Sheldonesque lack of empathy).

If you have nevery liked cats, you can not see the logic of the empathy etween cats and humans that have ASD

I'm not sure why to be honest, but I love cats and all animals to be honest. I prefer animals over people.

I fkin HATE cats! They run away when I go near them. They make me irritatable just by looking at them and even typing about them.

There is one very rare cat down the road from me who thinks it's a dog and is very affectionate.

Sheldonesque lack of empathy

Even Sheldon had a thing for cats for a moment!

I think there are a few things cats can offer to autistic people. They're not overly needy like dogs are so you can play with them then it basically suits you and they're happy to be on their own so they're low maintenance. And their fur offers a nice tactile sensory input.

I'm a cat person, but I'm also just an "animal person" in general. I feel more connected to cats because I've often pretended to be a cat when I was younger. I still unintentionally meow from time to time which horrifies and embarrasses my husband. I don't do this as often anymore. I don't know. People like different things, Aspie or not.

I'm a cat person, but I'm also just an "animal person" in general. I feel more connected to cats because I've often pretended to be a cat when I was younger. I still unintentionally meow from time to time which horrifies and embarrasses my husband. I don't do this as often anymore. I don't know. People like different things, Aspie or not.
Haha, I still meow quite a lot. Luckily my boyfriend is kind enough to meow back at me.

I fkin HATE cats! They run away when I go near them. They make me irritatable just by looking at them and even typing about them.

There is one very rare cat down the road from me who thinks it's a dog and is very affectionate.

In order to enjoy cats, one must "speak cat." They are very sensitive and can pick up our emotions. They truly have Super Senses.

I run a blog, The Way of Cats helps you understand, train, and love your pet cat, called Way of Cats in which I explain how to create a loving relationship with our cats.

I am the Temple Grandin of cats!

For me, the attraction is that cats demand an egalitarian relationship: they are not our children, like dogs; they are our friends and equals.

When treated this way, they bloom, and become an enjoyable alien species to share our lives and hearts with.

An amusing analogy. Though when I'm hungry I don't usually cozy up to much of anyone. I just rustle up some grub all on my own.

More like the "big" cats I suppose. :p

I've had both a cat and dogs for pets. Loved them both. But yes, they are very different. But then so are we. ;)

Think in my case it has to do with ethics. When I moved to the area I'm in there were several strays abandoned by their owners who moved away, or simply didn't care. Here, animals are considered replaceable with a new one, and would have likely not survived the winter.

When I spoke to locals, they simply shrugged and ignored the feral cats and dogs. The local spca suggested I let them starve, so there would be no kittens or puppies in the spring. A local hunter trapped them, and killed them throughout the winter. This outraged me, that they had trusted humans and then were rejected and destroyed by them. When I discovered this, I made winter shelters and fed them. Also protected them, brought them to vets for shots, rid them of their parasites and found homes for them. This is not the first time I've done this. I adopted some of them as well. I have a total of three cats now. All originally strays.

Have been rescuing animals since I was a child, the idea of a creature injured or sick or hungry is intolerable. My ethical sense seems hard-wired to help those that need aid, especially those that can't do so themselves. In my view animals that are affected by others, then abandoned, are used like objects. This makes me angry, as pets become societal victims and expendable. There is a certain familiarity to it all.

Last edited:
My ethical sense seems hard-wired to help those that need aid, especially those that can't do so themselves. In my view animals that are affected by others, then abandoned, are used like objects. This makes me angry, as pets become societal victims much like Aspies are. There is a certain familiarity to it.
I find I have issues drives not concern about animals on the road. Despite I don't drive much, the trips I do normally there are animals around since I do lots of camping and hiking trips. I'm glad I always have enough time to stop when I see animal on the road. I hope I never have an accident with animal.

I think there some drivers don't have as much concerns of smaller animals as they would't case as much harm to the vehicle compare to larger animals. Regardless of the animals, I find humans should do their best to not endanger an animals life. However, not much we can do about those people that just don't care.

New Threads

Top Bottom