• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie woman shot dead by Police after Suicide Call...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Edited to remove the word 'sufferer' and 'disease'. The following article may cause distress).

Aspie who touched hearts after sharing footage of her dog helping her cope with a 'meltdown' is shot and killed by police after suicide call

A woman who warmed the hearts of the world with a touching video of her dog helping her cope with Asperger's syndrome has been shot dead by police.

Danielle Jacobs' video showed her having a meltdown and trying to punch herself, but rottweiler Samson came to her aid and parried the blows with its paws.

Police say they visited her home in Mesa, Arizona, yesterday at 11am over concerns she was attempting to commit suicide, and were forced to open fire when she attacked officers with a knife.

Her mother, Stacia, who is in her 70s, claims that the shooting was not necessary and said her daughter seemed fine when she had spoken to her the day before.

She told The Daily News: 'Before the police arrived she wasn't posing a threat to the community at all. And the police came into her own place.

'They shot and killed a 24-year-old autistic, mentally ill individual whom they had been familiar with and aware of her special needs.'

Mesa Police Department had responded to another suicide call in the same home - an apartment next to her parents' - two years ago, Detective Esteban Flores told AZ Family.

The shooting is less than a year after Jacobs bravely filmed herself being comforted by her service dog during a depressive episode to raise awareness about the condition.

She wrote 'This is what having Asperger's is really like' as she posted the footage of the intensely personal moment on her YouTube channel in June last year.

In the clip, her loyal dog Samson, who is trained to stop her from self-harming, can be seen using his paws to keep Danielle from hitting herself.

'Please no negative comments this really happened and it's not easy to open myself and share what it's like on a daily basis,' she added in the caption.

The video begins with Danielle, from Arizona, standing and crying as she pounds her chest with her fist. Samson immediately jumps up and uses his paws to pull her arms down.

Danielle continues to sob, and soon, she is repeatedly hitting her head with the palm of her hand. One again, Samson jumps on his two feet as he pushes her hands away.

When Danielle finally sinks to the ground, Samson curls up next to her and licks her face.

'This is what's considered a meltdown,' Danielle explained of the footage. 'Yes, Samson is alerting. I trained him to alert to depressive episodes [or] self harm [but] not both, but [still] he alerted.'

She added: 'It appears the response is late, but it's actually supposed to be as I'm coming out of the meltdown as I tend to have a panic attack after.'

It is one of a number of videos she has posted about her experiences with the condition, including one where she is devastated at not being given support in quest for a college education.

The video has recently been made private but had been viewed more than 2million times since it was posted, with many people commending Danielle for sharing such a private moment.

'As an older brother to a 13-year-old boy with autism, this is truly heart-warming and powerful. Thanks for sharing,' one person wrote.

The added: 'EDIT: I didn't realize that YOU are the one who uploaded this video! Very courageous of you to do so. You are very lucky to be so intelligent and highly-functional with ASD. Best of luck to you in life! [sic]'

Another commenter whose son has autism agreed.

'It is very brave of you to share your most fragile moments with the world,' he wrote. 'My son has Autism and his meltdowns are also heartbreaking to watch. Many, many people who have heard about meltdowns but, have never actually seen one, will finally understand how traumatic they can be. Thank you! [sic]'

He added: 'Also, this is another example of how our pets are emotionally connected to us much more than we may realize. Your dog is awesome.'

And many other noted how wonderful it is that Danielle has Samson to turn to in times of need.

'It's great to see you have such a great pup there for support!' one commenter noted. 'Sometimes the greatest help comes from man's best friend.'

SOURCE (With images and video): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...meltdown-shot-killed-police-suicide-call.html

Last edited:
This was painful to read. I remember watching that video Danielle uploaded.
The police in America must be among the worst trained in the world.
RIP Danielle Jacobs.

I can't understand why they sent in armed police for a suicide call. Or why those police decided to shoot her, and fatally, even if she did come at them with a knife. Is the only bit of self defense they know to kill someone? That really worries me. Killing someone should be the absolute last resort, not the first reaction to a possible threat. Unless this isn't telling the whole story.

I can't understand why they sent in armed police for a suicide call. Or why those police decided to shoot her, and fatally, even if she did come at them with a knife. Is the only bit of self defense they know to kill someone? That really worries me. Killing someone should be the absolute last resort, not the first reaction to a possible threat. Unless this isn't telling the whole story.

Some who are suicidal have no compunction to taking others down with them. The police know of this possibility but cannot adequately assess them so easily in a real-time situation. Leaving them often with a narrower scope of responses pertaining to armed suspects. Worse still if they perceive the suspect may be under the influence. But yeah, they usually have other non-lethal options if the circumstances permit them.

At that point it depends on the individual officer or police force as to how they rectify the situation with or without the use of deadly force. I often marvel at our local police who have brought in armed suspects firing at them without even wounding them.

I guess what concerns me most is the variance in how police officers react in real-time. It seems to me that much greater psychological evaluation is required to assess this on a routine basis, and not simply a one-time provision of being hired or only after having taken a life. No doubt the sort of thing most police unions vehemently object to.

Given so many police shootings in the news, they have a long way to go on how they react to suspects, armed or not.

Last edited:
Tasers.......go into the domicile with tasers drawn and noone dies. May all the police involved in this shooting give birth to children on the spectrum so that they can be enlightened to their (the polices) failures.....

We are...
16x more likely to be shot and killed by cops because we are mentally different.

Tasers.......go into the domicile with tasers drawn and noone dies. May all the police involved in this shooting give birth to children on the spectrum so that they can be enlightened to their (the polices) failures.....

We are...
16x more likely to be shot and killed by cops because we are mentally different.

Is this a real statistic?

I'd like to have seen that video.. I've never seen a meltdown, only heard descriptions of - and tried to imagine my own and how they look to others.

I had a nasty one recently, the kind followed by a three-day shutdown, triggered by a friend who is determined to understand me, yet consistently disagrees with - and criticises my explanations - he really is a friend and doesn't realise how much it feels like an inquisition, I normally just try to avoid those conversations.

As I went into meltdown I stood up and started crying and shouting and pounding myself in the head.. he thought I was reacting aggressively and responded by standing nose to nose with me, preparing for a fight. I kept trying to get past him, to escape, but he kept blocking me.
I'm fortunate he's had some self-defence training as a publican, along with some discipline in when and how to use it as things stopped there when I started to tire, having burned off all the intense emotion, then collapsed in a heap.

The point is that I was nearly attacked by someone who knows me really well, yet hadn't seen that before.
I'm not going to sympathise with a trained constable who decides to shoot to kill but, while events like this emphasize that training in handling people with Autism is woefully inadequate, we do only account for less than 2% of the population and I can't help wondering how the thing would have looked had one seen it and known the parties involved and what they were experiencing.. this is a tragedy, possibly one that could have been avoided, but I reckon this stuff will always happen as long as there are scared people around.

I bet that copper's having to deal with some pretty horrible feelings.

I can easily understand why the Brits disarmed their police force. "If all you have is a hammer..." :<

Im gutted. That's so sad. I remember seeing the video with the dog. Rest in peace. :(
Edit: Some sources say she was trangendered and known as Kayden Clarke.

Last edited:
Aspies in Arizona (or really anyone outraged by this tragedy living in that state) should stage a peaceful protest over her death. Justice for Danielle.

"The shooting is less than a year after Jacobs bravely filmed herself being comforted by her service dog during a depressive episode to raise awareness about the disease."
Forgot to edit that out too.

Anyway, this is horrible. :( They came to help her not die, then they made her die. Shows how much they care.

Typical Arizona police.

I wonder what will happen to her dog. Or did they murder the dog too.

Rest in peace brave person.

"The shooting is less than a year after Jacobs bravely filmed herself being comforted by her service dog during a depressive episode to raise awareness about the disease."
Forgot to edit that out too.

Anyway, this is horrible. :( They came to help her not die, then they made her die. Shows how much they care.

Sorted that now. I hate the ignorance of the Daily Mail when it comes to Autism/Aspergers.
May she RIP.

I just saw this as a top story on yahoo. Many of the comments have the same thoughts as me: why did they have to shoot her? Even former police officers that were commenting on the yahoo article didn't understand. This story just makes me feel very sad.

The thing is...they were responding to a call that she was suicidal.
In other words, the only reason they were showing up was in order to prevent her taking her own life.
If this is the result (if she was attacking them, their reaction is understandable-you can kill someone with a knife) then maybe they just shouldn't have come in the first place.

New Threads

Top Bottom