• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie son a condescending jerk??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. i am going to throw my 2 cents in..

This talk about beating, drowning or whatever to this kid who is very disrespectful is very unsettling. Properly disclipline and punish bad behaviour yes, and encourage and even if desired reward good behavior. Regardless if he was not autistc or not he has no right to be so cold. He does need to learn respect, especially if you are still paying stuff for him and being there. Still, this kind of behavior is unnormal for anyone regardless if they are on the ASD spectrum or not. I would suggest if you are paying for his schooling tell him he MUST do therapy. Even family/group therapy for his issues. There is probably something deep down in him not even you could scratch at to understand. Nevertheless, nip this behaviour it the bud!

Last edited:
My mother and I share a history that may well have been different had I grown up with a diagnosis.

Variable family triggers created challenges that in and of themselves took much of our time and attention hostage.

I am also a mother.

As a new mom, my mother had many pictures of what her role in the life of my children and family would be. Typical of our mismatched, non-mutual needs meeting dynamic, I was unable to build the space and routines I hoped to give and own children and meet her expectations.

This reality created serial conflicts over many years.

It was actually a negative transaction that created a significant, needless and avoidable loss for my children that prompted me to identify what it was within/about me that contributed to/perpetuated this unhealthy way of doing the mother-daughter relationship. Everything I knew indicated I was actively participating in preparing and dishing up these perpetual miscalculations of needs, responses and role.

Amid the diagnostic process that led to my learning that I am on the spectrum, I blocked theme/necessary shifts indicated that I believed relative to our miscommunications.

I share them knowing that every situation under the sun is as different as every mother/child match.

This is simply a model that helps me gain some traction and make different relational choices:

Manage/modify expectations

o of ourselves as individual mothers and daughters

o of each other

I deserve nothing

My kids owe me nothing

(My kids owe their grandparents nothing)

o I am only in control of choices that I make and how I respond to them.

I already have received infinite, scandalous, unmerited blessings

o from God

o from my husband

o from my children

o from you

We view the world very differently;

o We have experienced very different things in our lives and marriages relative to each other

Likewise, we share many, critical and foundational core principles

The pace of our lives is very different

· my family is not just physically in almost constant motion, but figuratively also;

· things shift and people grow and change here developmentally, relationally, procedurally in a swift, constant current

The only thing an individual has control over is her response to stimulus

How we’ve conducted our relationship has hurt other people including

Taking offense is a choice

Without mutual, unwavering benefit of the doubt; change is unlikely

Of course, now I could also add:

Our brains work differently on a fundamental level

• My only experience with thinking is with my brain/brain type.
  • I do not know how you experience thinking with your brain/brain type.
  • That our brains work differently gives me new information that may help how we interact.

Alright. Take dragonwolf's passive-aggressive advice. Call me when it doesn't work, sweetheart.

There's nothing passive-aggressive about a) trying to find out why someone is behaving the way they are (in order to resolve any previously-unspoken issues), and if that doesn't work, b) telling the person outright that you're not going to put up with their crap any longer and come back when they can be a decent human being.

Guys, I think...well, I hope Austin is just using dark humor.
Thank you ALL for taking the time to respond!! Believe it or not, most of you opened my eyes to more aspects than I was seeing and for that I am very thankful!

One post in particular resonated with me,
"You are unique, just like everyone else."

Autism/Asperger's didn't make him a "jerk," and honestly, he may or may not realize he's being one.

I was not diagnosed until my children were in their 30's (one of which should have been diagnosed by age 5), and there were a tremendous amount of issues that others refused to "believe," since as you said -- they only seemed to happen "at home."

By 14, he had been diagnosed (incorrectly) with ADD and medicated. The medication alone helped him do a 180* change from horrible to wonderful.

For me, I look back at my life and I was well-behaved, but rebellious. I hated (still do) being told what to do -- in fact, to this day I can't read a book or write an essay to a deadline. I can EDIT and do proofreader tasks for a deadline, but I can't read to one.

I hate(d) authority, I want(ed) to be "bad," and I absolutely hated when I was asked "....to leave a phone call...(when I went out) ... in case there was an emergency..." I even started making up phone numbers to placate the questions, knowing full well I wouldn't be able to be "found" if anyone looked for me.

Of course, that issue was moot when I got license plates with my name on them, right?

I lost contact of one son, who was "slighted" due to the attention caused by other siblings. Of course, I've never had the opportunity to speak to him about his feelings, or explain what actually was happening, but each family often has at least one child who backs away, at least for a while.

I was estranged from my mother until the last months of her life, and it's taken me a long time to recognize that for whatever reasons, my son has estranged himself from the family.

Your son spends an exhaustive day existing in his world. I have often tried to explain by suggesting, "....waking up is exhausting, and it goes downhill from there."

Everything he does takes emotional and physical restraint of some sort -- I know, because it's true with me, as well. At home, he needs a place to chill, to unwind, to be "himself" without fear of being attacked. I'm not suggesting you are physically abusive (or any other type of action).

What I'm suggesting is that you are expecting too much. Disrespect doesn't have limits. There are things which show clear disrespect (swearing, ethnic or racial slurs, physical violence, etc.) and there are behaviors that can't be controlled because he doesn't understand why you don't like them, because HE HAS ASPERGER'S and part of the diagnosis is not being able to "figure out" social cues.

Punishing him for a condescending text won't work, because he most likely sent you words WITHOUT inflection. That means, he might have written, ".....I've asked you three times to shut off the TV and it's still on." While the parent of an NT child might consider that to be anything from rude to disrespectful, the parent of an AS youngster reads, "Please listen to me. I've asked three times. Sometimes about the TV is bothering me. I don't know why. Please turn it off."

My child used to come up from a basement bedroom in tears because of being able to "hear" the computer on. I would point to the computer and monitor and show they were "off," but the complaints would continue. It wasn't until my sensory issues hit overload (recently) that I understand how "unheard" sounds can bother someone if no one else can hear the same noise.

Home has to be his "safe" place. Don't punish him for behavior he can't change, get him a therapist or coach for things he can change, and as a parent -- learn to know the difference (it's a paraphrase of the Lord's Prayer, I believe).
I truly believe that's what's happening here.
Our son does love us, I know that much for sure. But he does not realize the fine line between saying what's on his mind and disrespect. I'm not making excuses for him, I just how much of a good person he is. I do believe however that he does need a coach or therapist who can guide him and teach him the difference.
What really hit home with me was the example @Diagnosed2015 used, 'I told you 3 times already....' , that was so ridiculously close to the text that sparked this whole dilemma this time. I tend to forget that lack of inflection thing, so thank you for reminding me. You really put things in perspective for me, thank you!
Again thank you ALL!
Love and peace to all!

If you know me, you'll know I have a very dry and dark sense of humor. But that's just me.
I got your jokes and as dark as they are, I was laughing out loud and actually grinning for some time afterwards! Not at the thought of God forbid any of this happen to my son, but the way you said it, I was cracking up! So, thank you for that!
You know the internet just like texting, doesn't always convey the intention.
I make such jokes myself as well from time to time, and most of the time they are well received by the right audience. Believe it or not, my son would have loved your jokes, too bad I can't show it to him!:p

Last edited:
Just to put different filter on it;

He sounds a lot like me during those years.

I was a nightmare from mid teen to some where in my mid twenties I guess.

I was extremely irritable, felt hard done to and cheated by life, and I felt smothered by my parents.

I caused a few problems for sure, and I felt really bad about it during and after, and this phase also lowered my self esteem a lot as I knew I was not being "good", and I felt anguish for years about it, but I was utterly unable to communicate anything about any of it. I've still never talked about it with any one but my wife.

I'm late 40's now and after years of research, doctors and tests I'm slowly understanding it all. This may not fit your son, and if it does it may be very different, but it might also give you something to try;

I had my genome sequenced a few months ago and I have a number of gene mutations that affect mood, in particular;

GAD1 - a big one for me. I don't convert glutamate into GABA which means I'm always irritated, and if I eat glutamate rich foods I get extreme irritation to the point I feel a crawling - electric like sensation under my skin. I remember this feeling of extreme irritation as a teenager, especially after family meals, when I'd often lash out verbally. This is very common in autism I believe. In my twenties and onward I controlled it with alcohol, and only this week I discovered that ethanol inhibits glutamate, and for me at least, is neuro-protective. I'm now working on other glutamate antagonists so I can cut down on alcohol.

MAO A - The warrior gene. I've not started work on this one yet, but it's responsible for anti-social behaviour.

So, a long winded way of saying, that it may not be out of choice, or by nurture that your boy is acting up, it may be genetic and chemical imbalance. You can get his genes sequenced and start working on them. I believe all people can benefit from that, and autistic people especially.

One more thing; judge carefully about forcing him to do anything.

If your boy is a stubborn as me, going head to head would never work. I'm very easy going but I'll not be forced into anything, and no one will ever win in a head to head as I'll never back down unless I see i'm wrong.

You know your son of course though, so maybe you can coerce him.

he is so unbelievably disrespectful and condescending

I struggled with him his whole life, trying to talk to him in the way I knew he'd understand and try to explain every situation before and after, and just attending to and accommodating him as best I could without even knowing there was anything different about him.

Kinda sounds like you dug your own grave there. How likely is he to forget about that?

Please bear with my verbosity -- it's an Aspie/ADHD thing, but there's a point to it all (at the end).

Every day, after school, my son would call me at work to instruct him how to make fish sticks for a snack (he was about 9).

My boss knew that it was the same process each time, and could take from 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.
My end of the phone call:
1. Open the freezer (wait for confirmation)
2. Find the box of fish sticks (wait for confirmation)
3. Take out 10 (he was a big kid) ... (wait for confirmation)
4. Close the box (wait....)
5. Put the box in the freezer (wait...)
6. Close the freezer (wait...)
7. Find a "hard" plate (wait.....)
8. Put the fish sticks on the plate (wait....)
9. Open the microwave (wait....)
10. Close the microwave (wait....)
11. Push "130" (wait....)
12. Push "Start" (wait ....)
13. "Use Mitts when the machine beeps."

This is a kid who went from 12 years of SPeD and received a 4-year degree in an extremely limited (and highly regarded) field of employment.

I didn't worry (too much) about his "Words" at home (mostly because he wasn't verbal till 5) as long as he acted appropriately OUT OF THE HOUSE, WITH OTHERS.

Home is his "safe place" and he needs to be able to "relax" .... and if you are "aware" of his inability to decide whether something he says is (as you describe) "walking the fine line between between saying how he feels and being disrespectful," it's YOUR job, as a parent, to navigate that "fine line" and learn to accept your son's "inability" to see that line as a way to adjust your reaction to him.

You can't punish someone for something they don't "get," and while a "coach" might be helpful at times, there are other times where he'll either find out (good or bad) that his words will get him in trouble (by others). BUT, since you are his "Home Base," it's your job to advocate ON HIS BEHALF.

If your job has become trying to "make him fit in," it might work on some very minor level, but as he grows and matures, there are things he'll either learn on his own, or you'll find that he's not functional enough to be in situations where he won't be accepted.

I don't want that to sound harsh, because I'm trying to be sincere, but you are trying to pick apart a diagnosis by saying, .... basically, "he should change because I don't like it." He's not (per your post) doing anything illegal or dangerous, and you just have to "understand his language."

I'm a firm believer that we on the spectrum use the same words, but we don't always "mean" what you are "hearing." So, in this situation, there may not be a way for you to learn to see, perceive, experience, or even describe the world as he sees it.

I used to blog about the different ways that I find humor where most get upset. I am able to "hide" behind humor, loving sarcasm, laughter, etc. because I have always been outgoing and social. However, when I'm home alone, in my "safe place," I deal with racing, irrational, anxiety-driven thoughts that can overwhelm me to a point where I get quiet, withdrawn, stressed, etc., and I start saying things that I "mean," but they come out much harsher than I intend (at least I feel that way when I read back to them).

Consider attending a support meeting (or several) WITH your son (most states have Autism/Asperger's Societies, and they have meetings). I facilitate our meetings (the Society approached me with the request) because I am the most social.

I don't have problems in the group, because I keep the atmosphere extremely relaxed and just trying to steer the conversation on some sort of path. When I get home, however, I go into an "Intellectual Meltdown" for a day or two -- it's difficult holding it together for the length of a 1-1/2 hour meeting, let alone every other moment of my life.

It's exhausting being me -- I can only imagine it's the same for your son.

Please bear with my verbosity -- it's an Aspie/ADHD thing, but there's a point to it all (at the end).

Every day, after school, my son would call me at work to instruct him how to make fish sticks for a snack (he was about 9).

My boss knew that it was the same process each time, and could take from 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.
My end of the phone call:
1. Open the freezer (wait for confirmation)
2. Find the box of fish sticks (wait for confirmation)
3. Take out 10 (he was a big kid) ... (wait for confirmation)
4. Close the box (wait....)
5. Put the box in the freezer (wait...)
6. Close the freezer (wait...)
7. Find a "hard" plate (wait.....)
8. Put the fish sticks on the plate (wait....)
9. Open the microwave (wait....)
10. Close the microwave (wait....)
11. Push "130" (wait....)
12. Push "Start" (wait ....)
13. "Use Mitts when the machine beeps."

This is a kid who went from 12 years of SPeD and received a 4-year degree in an extremely limited (and highly regarded) field of employment.

I didn't worry (too much) about his "Words" at home (mostly because he wasn't verbal till 5) as long as he acted appropriately OUT OF THE HOUSE, WITH OTHERS.

Home is his "safe place" and he needs to be able to "relax" .... and if you are "aware" of his inability to decide whether something he says is (as you describe) "walking the fine line between between saying how he feels and being disrespectful," it's YOUR job, as a parent, to navigate that "fine line" and learn to accept your son's "inability" to see that line as a way to adjust your reaction to him.

You can't punish someone for something they don't "get," and while a "coach" might be helpful at times, there are other times where he'll either find out (good or bad) that his words will get him in trouble (by others). BUT, since you are his "Home Base," it's your job to advocate ON HIS BEHALF.

If your job has become trying to "make him fit in," it might work on some very minor level, but as he grows and matures, there are things he'll either learn on his own, or you'll find that he's not functional enough to be in situations where he won't be accepted.

I don't want that to sound harsh, because I'm trying to be sincere, but you are trying to pick apart a diagnosis by saying, .... basically, "he should change because I don't like it." He's not (per your post) doing anything illegal or dangerous, and you just have to "understand his language."

I'm a firm believer that we on the spectrum use the same words, but we don't always "mean" what you are "hearing." So, in this situation, there may not be a way for you to learn to see, perceive, experience, or even describe the world as he sees it.

I used to blog about the different ways that I find humor where most get upset. I am able to "hide" behind humor, loving sarcasm, laughter, etc. because I have always been outgoing and social. However, when I'm home alone, in my "safe place," I deal with racing, irrational, anxiety-driven thoughts that can overwhelm me to a point where I get quiet, withdrawn, stressed, etc., and I start saying things that I "mean," but they come out much harsher than I intend (at least I feel that way when I read back to them).

Consider attending a support meeting (or several) WITH your son (most states have Autism/Asperger's Societies, and they have meetings). I facilitate our meetings (the Society approached me with the request) because I am the most social.

I don't have problems in the group, because I keep the atmosphere extremely relaxed and just trying to steer the conversation on some sort of path. When I get home, however, I go into an "Intellectual Meltdown" for a day or two -- it's difficult holding it together for the length of a 1-1/2 hour meeting, let alone every other moment of my life.

It's exhausting being me -- I can only imagine it's the same for your son.
You forget I'm an Aspie as well. I know exactly how that feels and it's exhausting to me as well, but I learned at a very early age that saying certain things is disrespectful and can hurt other's feelings. And while I don't want my son to suppress his feelings all the time like I felt I had too (mainly because I couldn't distinguish between what was disrespectful and what wasn't .), I still want him to know where the line is and not cross it all the time.
I could care less if he acts out with me, as long as he can recognize that he hurt my feelings. My main concern is that one day he's going to get married and that his wife would be the next person to get dumped on so to speak. I don't want him to get heartbroken and end up alone.
So, while I agree with most of what you wrote, I don't think that Asperger's should be his crutch for his toxic behavior! As I said in my original post, he already completely alienated his younger brother, who always sought a relationship with his older brother.
He was never diagnosed until he was 18, and I always taught him to be himself! I preached that 'weird' is not a bad thing, it's actually awesome! Most interesting people are weird!
As a matter of fact whenever one of my kids would say "mom, you're weird." My comeback was always "and proud of it!"
So, I never wanted him to conform and that's mostly why he's a human rights activist, a political activist and just basically defends anybody who is in a minority or a difficult situation.
He's an amazing human being with great ideals and morals, and that's why it's so painful to see him act this way to the people who love him the most!!
I really appreciate your input and hope that you can share more of your wisdom and experience with me.
I'm truly just trying to have you understand how I'm thinking, I'm really not getting defensive at all. Your posts are very informative and helpful to me, thank you!

You forget I'm an Aspie as well. I know exactly how that feels and it's exhausting to me as well, but I learned at a very early age that saying certain things is disrespectful and can hurt other's feelings. And while I don't want my son to suppress his feelings all the time like I felt I had too (mainly because I couldn't distinguish between what was disrespectful and what wasn't .), I still want him to know where the line is and not cross it all the time.
I could care less if he acts out with me, as long as he can recognize that he hurt my feelings. My main concern is that one day he's going to get married and that his wife would be the next person to get dumped on so to speak. I don't want him to get heartbroken and end up alone.
So, while I agree with most of what you wrote, I don't think that Asperger's should be his crutch for his toxic behavior! As I said in my original post, he already completely alienated his younger brother, who always sought a relationship with his older brother.
He was never diagnosed until he was 18, and I always taught him to be himself! I preached that 'weird' is not a bad thing, it's actually awesome! Most interesting people are weird!
As a matter of fact whenever one of my kids would say "mom, you're weird." My comeback was always "and proud of it!"
So, I never wanted him to conform and that's mostly why he's a human rights activist, a political activist and just basically defends anybody who is in a minority or a difficult situation.
He's an amazing human being with great ideals and morals, and that's why it's so painful to see him act this way to the people who love him the most!!
I really appreciate your input and hope that you can share more of your wisdom and experience with me.
I'm truly just trying to have you understand how I'm thinking, I'm really not getting defensive at all. Your posts are very informative and helpful to me, thank you!

Thank you for your words. I hope you didn't take offense; I'm an Aspie and at least one (probably two) of my kids were, neither of whom got along together (in fact, one was on the receiving end of several physical assaults -- more frustrating to him than harmful) but a family/child psych said he couldn't "help" the "victim" because he wasn't doing anything wrong.

BUT, he was diagnosed with a whole bunch of other issues which, if someone back then had seen them together, would have been sure to figure it out -- especially 30 years later.

BUT, again -- as an Aspie w/a son who is also AS, I would strongly suggest you attend some meetings together. For one thing, you'll (possibly) notice there are those who appear to be affected (or more, or less) than YOU and your son, and it's very possible that others in your group are also dealing with similar issues.

Sometimes, there are people who sit and just "appear" to listen (or not), but we have wonderful conversations on the computer which somehow "proves" to me that they were "present" (in their own way) for the meeting, because we end up talking about them.

As an Aspie yourself, as am I, you'll also find (through people sharing experiences, difficulties, victories) that some might be just like you, some might be entirely different. You might hear horror stories from frazzled parents and, by the end of the meeting, realize that compared to some, your issues might be "less" than you thought -- but you'll have a support system and (in some cases) phone numbers -- to give you someone to contact if you are feeling overwhelmed or don't know what to do.

Sometimes, someone will mention an issue that I never considered (or knew) to be an "Aspie" issue. For example, around the same time of my AS diagnosis, I also was diagnosed with "lifelong" ADHD. When I started on the medication, I was amazed at what I had been missing (this isn't necessarily related to your son).

However, LATELY, I've noticed when I'm trying to watch a movie, it's mentally exhausting to stay "focused" without allowing my mind to wander onto other things. (Again, bear with me, please).

So, someone got me hooked on a western series, which drove my "insatiable lust for knowledge" (not my words) to do some research which drove me to start getting interested in that period of history and everything around it. Sounds good, right?

Well, I'm trying desperately to keep up with all the ins and outs of this show, and it suddenly occurs to me (while still concentrating) that in this series, as well as others, the cliche' is "Good guys wear white(ish) and bad guys wear black," right?

Ok, so in the middle of this 36-episode marathon, I start wondering, "Where would these people buy their clothes?" Do they know they are going to be "Good" or "Bad" when they wake up in the morning? Do they "pick their wardrobe" for the day? Would there be one store for both "Good" and "Bad" or would there be separate stores.

I can't tell you how long this thought process kept up (probably through 30 of the 36 shows) ... no matter how hard I tried to keep track of everything -- and I think I might have gotten about 1/2 of what I should have ...... I didn't know it was an ASPIE (and not ADHD) issue.

It took someone at the meeting to inform me of that (with appropriate backup). Another friend gave me the best advice for an issue I was having because I have two separate banks in two separate states, and I wasn't able to access one of them.

It took an Aspie friend at the meeting to offer a suggestion that was a PERFECT solution -- one in which 1) I wouldn't have thought of AT ALL and 2) never would have expected the suggestion from the particular person.

However, those same people who helped me IMMENSELY, also have (as I do) "another side" to them. Sometimes we sit around and compare similarities and differences, but we all talk about "being us" as something we have to do using emotional/intellectual/ and even physical energy to accomplish, and we often can't keep it up very long, so we limit ourselves to avoid others seeing our "other" sides.

I'm just trying to offer some help -- my issues with an undiagnosed youngster left me with PTSD (there are other issues, as well) ... but I never considered it to be that until I spoke with other Aspies w/kids ..... and I never shared the diagnosis (mine or "his") ... with him at all.

I truly believe we, as parents, need support groups. If you are in the United States and go to meetups.com (it's not a dating site) you can enter your zip code and it will bring up (often dozens) of "groups" of all types in your areas.

Many have some sort of Aspie support if you don't have access to an Asperger Society and, if you can't find one that fits your purpose, you have the option of starting one.

When I was diagnosed, I started a Meetup. We had over 15 members AND two meetings within the first month. We had an "active" core of 4, in case people wanted assurances we were "real" and we made ourselves available to anyone who was reluctant or wanted someone to help them into the meetings.

As Aspies, we survive on our wits/intelligence and "learned" social cues, which aren't always the same as everyone else's (as you no doubt understand). I occasionally end up asking the group for suggestions because I am "perceiving" something differently than others, or I can't understand the "mindset" of a decision.

As a compulsive over thinker (OCD) with an Aspie fixation about my own (and others') thought processes, all I can do is sigh in frustration if someone isn't making sense to me, until someone else (often my therapist) offers a solution or suggestion that I can attach to the thought as "closure" (another topic that gets a lot of input).

Good luck. Feel free to PM if you'd like to. I'm not trying to be intrusive, I've just had 30 years of advocating for my kids.

My oldest son apparently was a classic Asperger's case, but I never knew! I had never heard of Asperger's when he was growing up, doctors never asked the right questions like they do now and I struggled with him his whole life, trying to talk to him in the way I knew he'd understand and try to explain every situation before and after, and just attending to and accommodating him as best I could without even knowing there was anything different about him.

I guess the fact that I was an undiagnosed Aspie myself helped in me being 'in tune' with how he feels and what he needs.
Anyway, our relationship had been so great until maybe he became 15 or so, when he just started becoming more and more disrespectful to me and his father.

He managed to completely alienate his 20 months younger brother, they barely have a relationship anymore !
Sometimes I would try to talk to him to make him understand how bad his behavior affected all of us, I would talk until my voice went and...nothing! Sometimes I'd just stop talking to him, in hope that he would realize he was wrong and apologize but....nothing!
Punishing him by taking stuff away didn't work either.

I still kept trying with the hope that some day when he's out of the house he would regret the way he treated us and maybe try to be better.

Last fall after he turned 18 we finally found out about his Asperger's, and it was very helpful to finally find out that I didn't totally fail as a mother and the way he acts with us is not my fault, but it also came down like a ton of bricks on me that he will not likely change on his own.

He attends an ivy league school now, has a ton of friends, participates in so many activities and is quite successful in his academic and otherwise life .
He never calls or texts unless he needs something from me or just wants to let me know something , and quite often whether via text or in person when he comes back he is so unbelievably disrespectful and condescending, and I just can't take it anymore!!!
He is not like that with anybody except us, his family! I don't know what to do anymore and I'm at the very end of my rope.

Any advice, please?
I'm currently not talking to him because of a condescending text, his father talked to him last week and told him to apologize, but he hasn't even bothered .
At this point I don't want an apology , and I don't even want to talk to him at all, which makes me feel like a horrible mother.
Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated! !!
The answer is not ASD or any such diagnosis. The answer is that, at age 15, he is going through the normal adolescent quest for independence. As much as he might love and respect his family, his hormones are telling him that you all are holding him back from his individual encounter with destiny. (He wants to be himself but has not yet figured out who that self really is.) Many teens, both NT and Aspie, manage to pull through this by age 21. Those who do not usually go into what is described as the “Sturm und Drang' This theory maintains that adolescence is an unavoidable, stormy period in the life of young adults – along the lines of the “temporary insanity” Note that the concept of "adolescence" is closely tied to modern industrial societies where life has too many choices and too few guideposts. Be patient and don't change your behavior just to accommodate his. This has the same effect as reversing road signs or moving landmarks.

The answer is not ASD or any such diagnosis. The answer is that, at age 15, he is going through the normal adolescent quest for independence. As much as he might love and respect his family, his hormones are telling him that you all are holding him back from his individual encounter with destiny. (He wants to be himself but has not yet figured out who that self really is.) Many teens, both NT and Aspie, manage to pull through this by age 21. Those who do not usually go into what is described as the “Sturm und Drang' This theory maintains that adolescence is an unavoidable, stormy period in the life of young adults – along the lines of the “temporary insanity” Note that the concept of "adolescence" is closely tied to modern industrial societies where life has too many choices and too few guideposts. Be patient and don't change your behavior just to accommodate his. This has the same effect as reversing road signs or moving landmarks.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

I'm 16, and I feel like ever since I started high school I started getting annoyed with my parents for no reason. It's mainly when they're trying help me with school work and continue to bug me even though I don't want help. As soon as I start to feel threatened, I snap at them. I don't exactly want to, but I can't stop it. It's not really their fault, and I don't mean to get so upset with them. It just happens.

I'm 16, and I feel like ever since I started high school I started getting annoyed with my parents for no reason. It's mainly when they're trying help me with school work and continue to bug me even though I don't want help. As soon as I start to feel threatened, I snap at them. I don't exactly want to, but I can't stop it. It's not really their fault, and I don't mean to get so upset with them. It just happens.

It's okay to go back to them when you're calmer, apologize for snapping, and explain that you'd like to be left alone with your schoolwork.

You're starting to reach adulthood and are in that weird time where you're there, but not quite. There will be tension as you seek Independence. If you can start acting with maturity, your parents should start treating you that way.

I was. But some people are too dense to realize that...

1. This is a text conversation. There's not really such a thing as time unless you use emojis.
2. Not everyone on this forum knows you, therefore not everyone knows your sense of humor.
3. This is a forum for people with ASD. A lot of us don't process humor in at least some circumstances.

Therefore, calling someone's suggestion passive aggressive, then calling them dense for "not getting your humor" when it's pointed out that regardless of what you may have intended, it came across poorly, just makes you look like a jerk.

Some of that will never change, and it will continue to bug you throughout your life, but you have the ability to help your parents understand you. I'm going to guess it's not really that you are "upset," but that you are "frustrated," or you can't make them seem to understand that you KNOW 95% of what you are trying to do -- you are just missing 5% of information this is necessary for YOU to "get it," and no one seems to understand what that 5% is.

If this sounds familiar at all, I'll continue (if not, just stop reading, I won't mind). I am almost 60. I have a NT friend who seems to think "everything" is a lesson. I LOVE lessons! The problem is, 95% of what I am being shown, I ALREADY KNOW. Of course, I'm not saying I know everything, I'm saying I know what this person is trying to "teach" me.

When I get curious, it's about a particular "thing," for a particular moment. So, if someone is using, for instance, software I'm familiar (or unfamiliar) with and I notice a particular function or operation that interests me, I might make an inquiry about the function. Whether I research it myself or ask someone how to do it, it's the FUNCTION I'm interested in -- not the ENTIRE program (because I usually know or can easily learn the entire program IF the function meets the needs).

SO, I'll pick up a random manual and start reading -- because I can "learn" what I need from the manual. This person will stop me from reading the manual, or take me from the part I'm reading (where I found the information) and say, "Start at the beginning..."

OR, they will walk me through Steps A through H while I'm waiting for Step Z (which is the only one I need). I have been known to "meltdown" twice in the last 6 months, because it's extremely difficult staying silent, especially when someone shuts you down whenever you try to "get them to your question," and then you both end up getting upset. Surprisingly, this happened far less when I was younger (because I didn't realize how much I could learn if I knew how). Once I was older, it was easier.

This is the ONLY time I've seemed to be having this particular issue, but I can understand because my children did, too. (And I work with other children)

Your issue is (possibly) that you know MORE than your parents, but neither of you realize that. It's also possible that you need it explained differently.

For me, I am often the only person who knows what I "mean" when I ask a question, and by the quality of answers I get, I have to figure it out myself (since it's obvious no one is connecting to my issue).

If your school has a Special Education Department, or if you have a professional (teacher, caseworker, etc.), ask them if you have an IEP (if you know). If you DO, it should give suggestions/solutions/ recommendations for making it easier for you to complete your studies. There should be a way for you and/or your parents to work with the team (or professional) who can have things included such as: "To complete coursework, at (whatever level), without parental interference UNTIL required." <-- Of course, I'm not a professional, but I was a parent who advocated for my child's educational welfare.

There ARE ways for you to get the help you need, but it's mostly important that your parents understand you are NOT required to learn or do things THEIR way (as long as you can complete them on your own). Sometimes, parents know what was expected of THEM in school, but not everyone is the same. So, we have to figure out HOW our children learn, and then show them (parents, teachers) how to make life easier for our children and students.

There are some very easy concepts I don't understand until someone restates them in "my" language; there are other far more extensive issues where "basic" knowledge of a subject is not adequate to answer my "learning" questions. It's like having to sit through an Advanced Level Seminar to answer the question, "Where do I put my coat?" If you had that answer, you wouldn't have needed the seminar (because you already knew what was in it) -- you just wanted to take off your coat.

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom