• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie Radar

EricD

How are you at detecting fellow Aspies? I met my Job Coach from Communicate today, & I SWEAR this guy's an Aspie!!

I'm good at picking up things in people which seem rather autistic like having long winding speeches but I don't know if I'd be any good at determining an aspie from a neurotypical, I don't even feel like I fit into the AS box neatly at times so if I can be an aspie then it must be bloody hard spotting certain other people.

As far as I know, I have no radar. There are a few people I know who may be, judging by their quirks, I am not going to ask them since I don't know them very well. Once I went to an adult ASD group and there were maybe 40-50 people there, and to be honest, besides the obvious more on the spectrum folks, the others seemed normal enough to me. But I do have a broad range of what I consider normal.

I have no idea how to ask someone if they are on the spectrum, and I won't spend any time thinking about it, so if I have a radar,
it will remain undiscovered on my part.

I can see autistic traits, but I can't tell if someone is actually autistic or not because of very mild autistic people seeming normal to me. I was watching first dates (no I didn't put it on, I was watching one of those Australian police things where they follow the police around) and someone who I thought to be a geeky NT actually had Asperger's. Telling geeky NTs from very mildly Asperger's people is something I just can't do. I know there's a huge difference, but anyone milder than me just seems normal from my point of view. If they're away from the very mild who can pass and into just normal mild or more autistic than that then it's easier to guess.

i definitely pick up on things that others do that i do and might indicate autism or Asperger's, but its very far from diagnosis and can be down to a whole plethora of things not just autism.

I don't really have a good aspie radar... But there are those who it's obvious enough, I suppose...

I do have a radar, and for other forms of autism as well as for a lesser extent, other developmental disorders. Although some people with Asperger's seem almost completely normal to me (one of the things that raised a flag for me possibly having Asperger's), others with different/more severe traits than myself it's quite obvious. I had a male friend in school who I totally think had Asperger's looking back, but we are no longer in contact. I think his dad has it as well, but his mum was very neurotypical. I have been tempted to contact him to see if he has been diagnosed, but refrain from doing so as that may be construed as rude and if he hasn't been diagnosed or doesn't realise he has those traits it may open a can of worms. I also spotted that a relative's son had nystagmus and signs of a developmental disorder associated with it, when he was 5 months old. This led to him being diagnosed and referred very early and because of this he is in a much better position than he would have been had he been diagnosed as a toddler and is only slightly behind other children his age.

I dunno if I have a "radar" but I have noticed that now I'm in higher-level classes, several of my professors--well, no, all of my professors--are very easy to divert along certain paths of discussion. Although some of them have an easier time bringing it back to the topic of class than others.

It's hard to say for sure, I've met random people that I thought were very Aspie, but you don't just bust out with "Are you autistic?" as a conversation piece so I can't really verify it, never mind the fact that there are more of us running around undiagnosed than diagnosed so they might not know for themselves.

It's hard to say for sure, I've met random people that I thought were very Aspie, but you don't just bust out with "Are you autistic?" as a conversation piece so I can't really verify it, never mind the fact that there are more of us running around undiagnosed than diagnosed so they might not know for themselves.

I wasn't diagnosed until my early 40s.

New Threads

Top Bottom