• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and environmental facters

Clintos

So far I feel like I inherited Aspergers, but I also believe that if I was adopted to a NT family I would not have debilitating Aspergers.

Can Aspergers be learned through ones upbringing by maybe having cold parents, as opposed to loving parents?

wrong title I believe I am trying to say ones upbringing in the title

My parents loved me...but I don't think a day went by when they truly understood me. I can still hear my mother's voice lamenting, "Sometimes I just don't understand you!"

Growing up with three other Neurotypicals in my tightest social orbit made no difference as to who and what I am today. My family may not have understood me, but neither did they reject me.

Their love provided me with a home I always considered a "safe haven", which became a necessity in surviving an outside environment with those who rejected me for somehow being different. Frankly I'm not sure if I would have survived my childhood had I not had a place to retreat to when needed.

I was "different". I knew it and so did my parents. Though in my own case neither they or myself was ever aware of being on the spectrum at the time. Difficult to say how much this impacted my perception of my family life given all I really have to elaborate on it is my hindsight.

Last edited:
Thats good to know judge.

Maybe growing up with the Aspergers made me look at my parents as being cold when in reality it might of been me interpreting wrong.

Can Aspergers be learned through ones upbringing by maybe having cold parents, as opposed to loving parents?

No. My parents weren't cold and I had a good childhood. My sister obviously had the same upbringing and she's NT. For now I think of it as just one of those things that I have AS, because as yet nobody can say for sure why.

My Mum had a horrendous upbringing and just awful parents and she's NT.

Can Aspergers be learned through ones upbringing by maybe having cold parents

This is what the originally thought about autism in the 50s and 60s. They thought it was caused by poor, uncaring mothers and so the mothers were ostracised by professionals and family and the community.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, in countries that were behind the Iron Curtain like Romania there began reports coming out of children in orphanages being kept in appalling conditions. Under fed, confined to urine-soaked cots, some even being strapped down for hours at a time with little human contact. Psychiatric professionals saw 'classic autism-like' behaviours in these children when they were being removed. But as they were given the proper care they needed and the attention needed for healthy growth these autistic-like characteristics faded away.

So no. Autism cannot be triggered by uncaring parents or poor social-economic backgrounds. There is room for environmental factors for triggering autism, it's not 100% genetic as identical twins do not both necessarily develop autism but the reason behind this could be many. All what can be said that there are more cases of autism being reported in areas with technical-minded jobs are in high demand. Areas like Eindhoven in the Netherlands and Silicon Valley in California, USA.

This is what the originally thought about autism in the 50s and 60s. They thought it was caused by poor, uncaring mothers and so the mothers were ostracised by professionals and family and the community.

That's what I thought about my upbringing, I thought it was good enough not to be the cause of my Autism. When I was younger I use to blame them, but, not anymore I keep my lip sealed around them. The best answer I got from my Dad about autism is that it runs in ones family, and is inherited.

New Threads

Top Bottom