• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Education

Lydia

Hi everyone, My name is Lydia. I am married to a man who has Asperger's Sydrome, and we have 4 children. I am interested to interview people with Asperger's regarding their experience of education, and am carrying out a piece of research looking at some of the difficutlies the current education system poses for children with aspergers. Anyone interested to be involved?

welcome.png

Welcome :)

Maybe give some more in depth information about your study, and you might get some responses.

Hi everyone, My name is Lydia. I am married to a man who has Asperger's Sydrome, and we have 4 children. I am interested to interview people with Asperger's regarding their experience of education, and am carrying out a piece of research looking at some of the difficutlies the current education system poses for children with aspergers. Anyone interested to be involved?

Hello, welcome to the group. Lots here have already discussed very recently their school experiences under another thread, titled 'School Experiences for Aspies and Autistic' so you may or may not might get tons of response, now, but I am curious what your research is about, too? And what do you mean by interview?

In general, their experiences seemed to show some good, some neutral, but much bad because of bullying, cliques, teacher and administration apathy and rigidity, policies of hiding school wrongs, peer pressure, not individualizing needs, teaching in boring and ineffective ways, failure to accommodate, not having enough interesting and challenging classes, and failure to address other important issues.

Very few Aspies and those with Autism , if any, have talked about the "great" benefits of school socialization, so as a starting point it would be extremely helpful for schools to stop their campaigns of how great schools are for developing social skills, for those with special needs or special skills. It is fiction. Schools might help the NTs at school socially in some ways, but not the others on the extremes who do not fit in, and are not ready, willing or able because of condition or environment. And school socialization can have harms, too, as mentioned.

Schools need to thus create tons of more policies to help these students, and not act like they do not have their own special thoughts, feelings and needs that are different than the rest. Yes, schools may provide some learning or other benefit to some with conditions, but the posts in that school experiences thread clearly show more bad experiences than good, and until school administration can stop admitting they are always right and never wrong, I am not sure what great benefit would occur from research or interviews. These problems have existed for decades, without resolution.

Maybe you have some additional ideas why research and interviews could help make a difference?

Hi there,
Thanks for your message, it was really great to read some of the responses to the thread you started. You are absolutely right in that the education system needs to change for aspies. The reason I've chosen this topic to research is that there is not much research out there looking at the voice and experience of people with Asperger's. Research informs educational policy....it's a force for change..not that I expect my paper to change the UK schooling system...but it's a start...sparks ideas..more research....it's time for aspies to have their voice heard in education right? I will post another message explaining a bit more of the project...
Lydia

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of info..I hope this helps in explaining a bit more about what the research is about:

Rationale
I am keen to research and publish a paper on the experiences of people with Asperger's as they travelled through education. There is not much research out there that listens to the voice of people with Apserger's themselves. This is a mistake and my aim is to highlight (through themes that come up from your responses) areas of the current school system that are troublesome, any that are good, and highlight areas that need to change. I am also keen to explore whether you felt identification in childhood would have been beneficial to your experience at school and for those of you who were identified as a child (if any?) your experiences of education as a result.

The SEN system, introduced in 1981, I argue is not specific enough to needs and there seems very little provision for (or understanding of) children with more 'hidden' differences such as Aspergers , ADHD etc. I am therefore particularly interested in those of you who went to school after 1981.

In short the aim of the research is to look at
-the impact of having Asperger's at school and in adult life
-whether the current SEN approach of support and identification is working for Aspies

What would it involve?
The research will be carried out though the University of Nottingham, as part of my Master's program, and will have full ethical approval.
The research would involve a Skype interview with myself (lasting approx. 45 min. I would send you a copy of the questions in advance, including an information sheet and a consent form. You would be free to pull out at any time (no obligations) and your contribution will remain anonymous.The interview would be 'semi-structured', meaning that there is room for you to add personal views and opinions about additional areas that the questions may not cover.

Why research?

Research helps to inform practice - at least eventually. Research also potentially inspires other and more large scale research . It is therefore a potential force for change. I feel that this is a valuable project to be a part of, in that it aims to listen to the voice and experiences of people who have travelled education before, in the hope that we can make things better for children who will in the future.

Any questions just ask on this forum or email me at [email protected]

Regards
Lydia

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of info..I hope this helps in explaining a bit more about what the research is about:

Rationale
I am keen to research and publish a paper on the experiences of people with Asperger's as they travelled through education. There is not much research out there that listens to the voice of people with Apserger's themselves. This is a mistake and my aim is to highlight (through themes that come up from your responses) areas of the current school system that are troublesome, any that are good, and highlight areas that need to change. I am also keen to explore whether you felt identification in childhood would have been beneficial to your experience at school and for those of you who were identified as a child (if any?) your experiences of education as a result.

The SEN system, introduced in 1981, I argue is not specific enough to needs and there seems very little provision for (or understanding of) children with more 'hidden' differences such as Aspergers , ADHD etc. I am therefore particularly interested in those of you who went to school after 1981.

In short the aim of the research is to look at
-the impact of having Asperger's at school and in adult life
-whether the current SEN approach of support and identification is working for Aspies

What would it involve?
The research will be carried out though the University of Nottingham, as part of my Master's program, and will have full ethical approval.
The research would involve a Skype interview with myself (lasting approx. 45 min. I would send you a copy of the questions in advance, including an information sheet and a consent form. You would be free to pull out at any time (no obligations) and your contribution will remain anonymous.The interview would be 'semi-structured', meaning that there is room for you to add personal views and opinions about additional areas that the questions may not cover.

Why research?

Research helps to inform practice - at least eventually. Research also potentially inspires other and more large scale research . It is therefore a potential force for change. I feel that this is a valuable project to be a part of, in that it aims to listen to the voice and experiences of people who have travelled education before, in the hope that we can make things better for children who will in the future.

Any questions just ask on this forum or email me at [email protected]

Regards
Lydia

Thanks for giving more information about your masters study research project, in a professional format, with the goal for those with Asperger's Syndrome to share their educational experiences, to possibly help promote more research with the goal of positive change.

Personally, I was not diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, but just have small children with Autism, and they are too young and not from the U.K., so I could not participate, but for those who do want to contribute, feel free to ask any additional questions to Lydia, if you are considering participating. I am sure she would be glad to answer your questions.

I am not sure if the moderators have any opinion on this research request. I know they provided the rules regarding the research, so for those with Aspergers Syndrome and the moderators feel free to share your views on this, or ask additional questions, as it sounds like something that surely should be considered, if the forum rules are met, and if the interest to participate is there.

New Threads

Top Bottom