• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Ask me anything"

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
Okay people say this to me and it always throws me for a complete loop. I have nothing I want to ask, I don't like asking weird questions, I feel like I'm prying and honestly I don't really care anyways. But they love saying this, I hate it so much, if there's something you want to tell me why don't you just talk about stuff anyways. I don't know what to ask. Seriously, what do you say to this? It feels so wtf. :< I wish I could ban this statement.

I usually just stop responding after they say this because I'm just lost.

I feel like a deer in the headlights when I get this question. It's the epitome of non-specificity.

Lol but yeah "any questions?" "No, none at all, in fact I've been waiting for you to stop making noise and go away for a while now." Could you imagine?

Ask them this (quoting my kids):"How was God created?" "What's outside the universe?" :b or maybe "What's your favorite Pokèmon?" (Just kidding)
For real, I would ask what time it is, and probably pretend I was late for something so I could excuse myself and leave.

Ask them this (quoting my kids):"How was God created?" "What's outside the universe?" :b or maybe "What's your favorite Pokèmon?" (Just kidding)
For real, I would ask what time it is, and probably pretend I was late for something so I could excuse myself and leave.
Lol I should start asking the most random off the wall questions, I know they want to talk about themselves, but jeez just do, why make me ask you stupid questions?

If you want people to like you, ask about them n questions about themselves.

I'd formulate a short list and just parrot repeat it. NTs love talking about themselves, so just ask away, then nod and smile at the right times.

"whats the greatest success you've had?", should I get them going.

When they say "am I boring you?" they mean "can I keep talking about myself?".

Just say "no riveting, keep going", and you can get back to nodding a thinking about something more interesting, like what colour to repaint your bathroom.

Keep the spot light turned on them, is what I'd do.

Lol I should start asking the most random off the wall questions, I know they want to talk about themselves, but jeez just do, why make me ask you stupid questions?

This is what I do in that sort of situation.

Them: "Ask me anything".....

Me: "Is the alphabet only in that order because it makes a good song?" "Why do people say things that 'go without saying'?" "Why is the sky blue?" "Who cleans up after guide dogs when they're out and about?"....

Them: "I have to leave."

If you want people to like you, ask about them n questions about themselves.

I'd formulate a short list and just parrot repeat it. NTs love talking about themselves, so just ask away, then nod and smile at the right times.

"whats the greatest success you've had?", should I get them going.

When they say "am I boring you?" they mean "can I keep talking about myself?".

Just say "no riveting, keep going", and you can get back to nodding a thinking about something more interesting, like what colour to repaint your bathroom.

Keep the spot light turned on them, is what I'd do.

Like 'what's wrong with your face?'

What's that ugly spot on top of your neck? (Ah it's your head)

Like that?

Like 'what's wrong with your face?'

What's that ugly spot on top of your neck? (Ah it's your head)

Like that?
i admitedly say things like that-ie,like whats wrong with that thing on your face,not in a nasty way but because i live in my own world most of the time and when suddenly presented with another person who expects to have a minute of my awakened time i am looking around and processing my environment.if i see something out of the ordinary i will focus on it.

I am terrible at situations, like in a job interview or training session, or even a salesman, asks me "any questions?" and I suddenly can't think of a single question I want to ask them, even if later I'll have 500 questions.

I've just gotten to where I inform the person, "I'm sorry, but I'm terrible at this. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but if I do have a question later, I'll be sure to ask." If that's situationally inappropriate then I'll just tell them, "No that about covers it, you've already answered anything I can think of." This makes the person feel like an effective communicator and strokes their ego.

I have nothing I want to ask, I don't like asking weird questions, I feel like I'm prying and honestly I don't really care anyways. ...if there's something you want to tell me why don't you just talk about stuff anyways. I don't know what to ask.

Okay, so funny thing: I read your thread title [Ask me Anything] and thought to myself: "Why does this random Internet user think I would want to ask her anything? Is she a celebrity or something? Did she do somethings interesting? Besides, I don't like to ask people boring questions then have to listen to their boring answers..."

Then for some reason, I clicked through, and you were mirroring my exact thoughts. I had to laugh at myself. Also, I am bad at reciprocating in conversation anyway (shocking I know), so this question really vexes me too. I vote in favor of your proposed ban.

"whats the greatest success you've had?", should I get them going
I would absolutely hate it if someone asked me this so I would never feel comfortable asking it.

"Who cleans up after guide dogs when they're out and about?"
This one! xD Now I really want to know!

i admitedly say things like that-ie,like whats wrong with that thing on your face,not in a nasty way but because i live in my own world most of the time and when suddenly presented with another person who expects to have a minute of my awakened time i am looking around and processing my environment.if i see something out of the ordinary i will focus on it.
I totally have to bite my tongue sometimes, another part of the reason I remain so quiet.

Okay, so funny thing: I read your thread title [Ask me Anything] and thought to myself: "Why does this random Internet user think I would want to ask her anything? Is she a celebrity or something? Did she do somethings interesting? Besides, I don't like to ask people boring questions then have to listen to their boring answers..."

Then for some reason, I clicked through, and you were mirroring my exact thoughts. I had to laugh at myself. Also, I am bad at reciprocating in conversation anyway (shocking I know), so this question really vexes me too. I vote in favor of your proposed ban.
<3

I would absolutely hate it if someone asked me this so I would never feel comfortable asking it.

This one! xD Now I really want to know!

I totally have to bite my tongue sometimes, another part of the reason I remain so quiet.

<3

So would I, but we are not NT.

Okay people say this to me and it always throws me for a complete loop. I have nothing I want to ask, I don't like asking weird questions, I feel like I'm prying and honestly I don't really care anyways. But they love saying this, I hate it so much, if there's something you want to tell me why don't you just talk about stuff anyways. I don't know what to ask. Seriously, what do you say to this? It feels so wtf. :< I wish I could ban this statement.

I usually just stop responding after they say this because I'm just lost.
I would say, "I really can't think of anything. Why don't you just tell me about yourself?"

"Have you no sense of personal space or are you just that into me?"

Too bad my mutism kicks in when there are people in my personal space.

Upon making this thread I think I've determined that for now on when getting this question I will only ask silly, light-hearted questions that have no point and let it go from there. If they think it weird, oh well, better than getting into a stressful situation asking what I would perceive to be awkward questions.

I'm really curious what people would say about who cleans up after the blind-persons dog, lol.

It should be "ask me anything*", not "ask me anything". Right, so let's talk about you, let's boost your ego for a moment, eh?

I know how this game works now, too bad I'm rarely, if ever, in the mood to play it. I'm usually at a loss as to how to answer this, mostly because I don't like talking or bragging about myself, plus I find it a pretty silly question, one loaded with hidden meaning that I already struggle with.

*with exceptions, of course. "Anything" doesn't mean everything, and if you don't want to be asked "anything", why the hell did you ask in the first place? Go bother someone else?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom