• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD diagnosis 1st visit neurologist

Monica1

We had our 1st neurologist appointment today for our 8yr old son. My husband and I met with the dr for about 40 minutes discussing his social struggles and anxiety. At the end of the conversation she said he has ASD. Then our son was called in and she spoke with him for about 10 minutes. At the end of the appointment we were handed a packet with a genetic testing kit and referrals to ABA therapy, a psychologist, and a recommendation of getting an IEP at school.

Everything I read leading up to this appointment lead me to believe that he would need testing and evals that would take months to get a diagnosis.

Is a 1 visit diagnosis common?

I got my PDD NOS diagnosis at age sixteen after a diagnostic interview. By a psychiatrist who specialized in ASD. It only took one visit too. I also found that strange.

I was diagnosed last year at age 30, so obviously different to being diagnosed as a child, but mine was just one appointment too.

Odd. I always thought more, too.
If he gets gene tested, can you share with me? I was dxed and sent to geentics and have a duplication. I was dxed and then not dxed, so yu can get it and lost it and get again.

Sounds odd to me to diagnose your son without having spoken to him. Can't really compare it to my diagnosis (at age 29). I did weekly tests and interviews for a month or two before I got diagnosed, but I think diagnosis can be more tricky in adults. I also think the policies probably differ per country (the Netherlands here)

My son, age 3, was diagnosed by a neurologist in one appointment as well. We were there for close to an hour and a half, my son was with us in the room, though and she was asking me all these questions and observing him from time to time. She spoke with him or tried to for less than 5 minutes and we had a diagnosis.
I feel perfectly secure in the diagnosis, I didn't go there seeking it. If anything, I had seduced the appointment 7 months in advance to put my mind at ease and rule out anything developmental.
By the time the appointment approached , I had a huge suspicion that he would get some kind of diagnosis, I just didn't know what. I struggled a little afterwards still.
Anyways, after we started with his services I could really see, that he truly was on the spectrum and needed all the help we could get.
I started my post trying to tell you something important but I ramble on a lot . Sorry! So, here it is; if that neurologist is an expert in the field, they have seen hundreds and hundreds of cases and all they really need is your experiences as the parents and your accounts of how your child is and acts, and a short interview with the child. Through their expert eyes and experience they can make the diagnosis, just based on that.
Hope this helps!

Probably depends on how the child or adult presents. Once my therapist suspected ASD, the following session she had me take a couple tests and that is when I got diagnosed. She had me take some other tests online and bring her the results to score and it only confirmed what she had already done. I only wish I had been diagnosed at his age, so many bad coping ideas and life mistakes could have been avoided. Good luck on your journey and learning to cope. Mike

Probably depends on how the child or adult presents. Once my therapist suspected ASD, the following session she had me take a couple tests and that is when I got diagnosed. She had me take some other tests online and bring her the results to score and it only confirmed what she had already done. I only wish I had been diagnosed at his age, so many bad coping ideas and life mistakes could have been avoided. Good luck on your journey and learning to cope. Mike
I agree. The younger the child , though, the easier it is for the professionals, because the child hasn't yet started to adapt and change some behavior. I think that going through our life we do adapt and change a lot so then when we are adults it's harder to recognize things at first glance. We have to go through tests and interviews and sometimes jump through hoops just to be heard. That's just my humble opinion though.

New Threads

Top Bottom