• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Artist with Asperger's syndrome hoping to inspire others through art

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

With the push of a play button and a blank canvas, Rachard McIntyre is ready to create another piece of art.

"This is my first sunflower ever," Rachard mentioned as he held up a faux flower for inspiration.

He plays his favorite Phil Collins songs and lies down on his stomach.

"It makes me feel at peace because flowers are always so beautiful," Rachard explained.

Rachard is like many other artists finding objects, people or events and bringing them to life on a two-dimensional scale. However, there is one thing about Rachard that makes him stand out from the crowd.

"People think I'm different," said Rachard.

"Rachard was born with and diagnosed around age 20 with Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism," added Rachard's mother, Carrie McIntyre Jacobs. "He's always been inquisitive, curious about things."

Despite his diagnosis, this 35-year-old artist is trying to make a positive impact on others.

"When people first see my work they are really surprised I did it," Rachard commented.

He says he wants to teach people about his syndrome and show the world know how anyone can turn life's curve balls into something positive. Jacobs wants her son's story to shine light on Autism and Asperger's syndrome to help parents with children similar to Rachard.

"We don't want to miss the mark that this is something that makes these children not to be able to function," Jacobs said. "It's their world, so we need to back them and be there for them and see that they reach their full potential."

While he may seem quiet and timid, doctors have placed Rachard in the category of a savant. His mother says he's extremely intellectual, loves researching and is always wanting to learn something new.

"Practice. Practice makes perfect," said Rachard as he talked about hoping to inspire hopeful artists. "Start at a young age and just never give up."

Rachard and his mother are trying to get his artwork on the shelves locally and nationally. He says he'd like to make a career out of his imagination.

"I want to be like everyone else who's also a professional in their field," Rachard added. "I want to fit in with the crowd."

Rachard uses words and names to create different images, such as his tributes to the 9-11 attacks and people like Margaret Thatcher and Maya Angelou.

His art has been recognized in the past at the Cameron Art Museum and in New York City during the 10-year anniversary of the 9-11 attacks.

RELATED: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/78767/its-a-doorway-not-a-crutch

SOURCE (with second video): http://www.wect.com/story/29661966/...syndrome-hoping-to-inspire-others-through-art

New Threads

Top Bottom