• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you creative or do you lack imagination?

jolilabrat

I'm curious. Is it common for female aspies to be creative? To enjoy cooking, sewing, arts & crafts? Decorating? Doing hair and nails? Painting, or anything creative?

I don't seem to have any interest in any of it. I don't have a lot in common with stereotypical females. But I'm not a tomboy either. I don't like camping, bugs, dirt. I am not good with a tool belt. I don't like sports, online computer games. I don't have any typical male interests.

I do identify as a heterosexual female. I don't really have any hobbies. I enjoy reading, movies and LOVE researching stuff.

Am I an odd ball even in the aspie community? Are there any other aspie females who lack interests and hobbies?

i am fairly creative. i like to try different crafts and things. I have my interests and those are what i mainly stick to. I have interests and hobbies and they help keep me regulated. Beyond that, i am not really into anything.

I am very skilled at artistic endeavours (or so I have been told), and deep down I am very creative but due to having a few breakdowns I lost my drive for art a long time ago and am only just starting to get it back. Also I have an obsession with symmetry, balance and colour matching/toning and hate to draw/paint/photograph anything that isn't so that throws a spanner in the works and stifles my creativity somewhat. I don't actually enjoy cooking most of the time, especially as my current 'audience' isn't appreciative, though I do go through my phases where I get really into it. Hair, I am good at cutting hair but hate styling it, and as for nail art I can't stand it. Make-up I went through a couple of phases of being really into make up artistry in the past twenty odd years, otherwise no. I am utterly obsessed with learning Danish though, and certain TV shows though I don't know every detail about them or collect merchandise/DVDs like I know some do.

I believe that I am very creative; it comes from spending so much time in my head. I like to write and can always come up with a new idea for a book. I rarely finish any of my stories though. I have heard the female aspies tend to be more creative then males, but there are always exceptions to that.

I'm a writer (working on a book, as well as short stories and poetry), and I write 'content' for living too (editor of a magazine).

I know of quite a few creative autistic people, both male and female.

I'm somewhat creative, post some of my drawing & paint meanderings here - also love certain types of reading, researching stuff, but have a lot of trouble with spoken words & communication.

You meet one aspie..... you meet one aspie. In other words, within the aspie spectrum, we all have our own unique ways of expressing ourselves, just as nts do.

I am very imaginative, but only in my head. I am excellent at making up stories in my head, but never go anywhere with them.

I am not creative; I do have my moments though and it feels like a terrible urge to make the thought into action. I made myself a bag for my tablet and loved it and now, hate it lol

This sounds awfully arrogant, but I am excellent at cross stitching and well, my work has been complimented and some even think the work I have hanging up, is a painting at first and then exclaim due to the very tiny stitching.

But I cannot draw to save my life and yes, you can take that literal; someone would have to be willing to take my place, if I were to live :p

I love music, but my voice is very medicre and I am no good at making music.

I am a very feminine woman. I hate trousers and typical casual wear. Always skirts and dresses for me.

I do not enjoy getting my hands dirty, but if I have to, I will and although do not like bugs, can pick them up and give them to our birds. I am not scared of spiders anymore ( from reading excellent books, by Gerald Durrell). My hate are flies but strangely enough, can cope with blue bottles ( not sure why).

I am very clumsy and thus, all fingers and thumbs with craft, but strangely enough, not with cross stitching.

Just a piccie on a tiny one I did for someone. If you see more than one, it is not your eyes deceiving you lol trying to delete them, but so far nothing doing!

Attachments

• Photo0228.jpg
    Photo0228.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Photo0228.jpg
    Photo0228.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Photo0228.jpg
    Photo0228.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 204
Im not creative at all!! well my brain seems to be but i cant transfer it to my hands, is the only way i can describe it. I have a visual mind and as weird as it sounds see patterns and faces in things like flooring of net curtains. Im good at drawing and sketching but i have to copy of something, i cant think of something and just draw it. I also enjoy cooking i get a sence of pride when i make a meal that everyone enjoys and i studied catering eventhough i couldnt cope mentaly to work in that enviroment.
I am not a girly girl at all.

I don't seem to have any interest in any of it. I don't have a lot in common with stereotypical females. But I'm not a tomboy either. I don't like camping, bugs, dirt. I am not good with a tool belt. I don't like sports, online computer games. I don't have any typical male interests.
Some consider that to be a tomgirl, halfway between a girly-girl & a tomboy...

jolilabrat
"I don't really have any hobbies. I enjoy reading, movies and LOVE researching stuff.

Am I an odd ball even in the aspie community? Are there any other aspie females who lack interests and hobbies?"

The first two sentences contradict each other.
The 2nd and 4th sentences are also at odds to each other.

In what way is a love of research not an interest?
How is the enjoyment of reading & movies not a hobby?

I am very creative and have an honours degree in visual arts. As a youngster my hobbies or interests were always creative, making things in some way or other. Doing craft, making things pretty (which is not necessarily "girly", just aesthetically pleasing).

I was always interested in science and nature, too, but for many years it wasn't such a big feature in my life. These days, though, I'm more scientist than creative type, although I still sew, paint, etc. I'm finally studying horticulture.

I've often wondered if craft and creative hobbies stem from a desire to create order, to improve on current conditions, to make things better or even make them right. To fix things, in a way. I've wondered if my need to make things was borne of a need to fix my relationship with my parents. In recent years our relationship has improved, and my interest in spending time sewing or doing crochet has waned greatly. May be coincidence.

Also, I would say that I was considered a bit of a tomboy as a child, and have never felt like a girly girl, but I'm not into cars and sport. I do like video and board games, though. I would say I feel more like a male than a female. I always prefer pants to skirts. I like floral shirts and cargo pants... A mix of both genders. :)

I agree with tree that your interest in research, reading and movies are hobbies, recreational pursuits. They may not be special interests, but they are what you do for enjoyment.

My mother is like that. She doesn't have a "hobby" but she enjoys things like reading and gardening, watching films. But there is no special thing driving her. She is definitely creative, though. But she doesn't do a lot with it. I think she may be an Aspie. (My dad is ultra logical and he may be an Aspie, too.)

I'd say I'm pretty creative. I like editing videos in all sorts of different ways, and I also screencap movies/shows I like and make collages out of them. I also like to collect funny pictures, quote pictures, and other pictures I just like, and I store them all in collages.
I also had fun setting up my new bedroom, and every once in a while I make a new bulletin board (though the last one I made is so pretty I can't see myself ever replacing it unless something happens to it).

I'd say I'm creative. I like making videos and editing them. I also like photography and adding nice effects to my photos.

I'm a pretty skilled seamstress but it's never anything outrageous. I like to make practical clothes out of soft fabric. And no tags :) so I really don't consider that creativity.

I used to be pretty good at drawing and painting but never anything original.. Always copies from photos.

So I would venture to say no, not creative. Even though people often say I am.

I used to be pretty good at drawing and painting but never anything original.. Always copies from photos.

You've raised an interesting point. Is copying something to be classed as creativity? Or is it more a matter of analytical skills and an ability to transfer that information to a canvas? Is having original ideas a requirement for creativity?

Like you, I was very skilled at drawing and painting, but if I wanted to paint realistic styles I would need to "copy", i.e. I needed a reference. I've never considered myself skilled at drawing from memory. Now, my question is this: is this skill of looking at a reference material and transferring that to a canvas something we can class as a creative endeavour? Is life drawing a creative endeavour? (If it is, it is no more creative than using a photograph as a reference.)

You've raised an interesting point. Is copying something to be classed as creativity? Or is it more a matter of analytical skills and an ability to transfer that information to a canvas? Is having original ideas a requirement for creativity?

Like you, I was very skilled at drawing and painting, but if I wanted to paint realistic styles I would need to "copy", i.e. I needed a reference. I've never considered myself skilled at drawing from memory. Now, my question is this: is this skill of looking at a reference material and transferring that to a canvas something we can class as a creative endeavour? Is life drawing a creative endeavour? (If it is, it is no more creative than using a photograph as a reference.)
For me, having original ideas is the very heart of creativity. Or at least being able to put your own spin on things.

Interesting point regarding life drawing.. I recently started going to life classes again bc there's a fun group that gets together at a local coffee shop here. And my drawings look like something out of a life drawing textbook. But there are some people in class who have a very creative style that's unique.. It's so cool. One guy makes the models look like Japanese anime characters, another makes them look like cartoons. Another doesn't draw any hard lines, only shadows. I look at their work and wish I had a sense of style the way they do. My stuff always seems so plain and without personal style in comparison. But that also brings up an interesting point, that I still struggle with identify issues and have all my life.. Which apparently is pretty common for aspergirls..

That all said, I often wonder had I spent years honing my skills, I might have more of my own style now. I quit to go to engineering school. I've since quit that job and I'm a full time self employed clothing designer now. I spend lots of time sewing but trying to get back into fine arts again... It's so hard! I'm hoping it comes back with practice.

I am creative, but lack the get up and do it personality. I avoid a lot of things, but in a situation to be creative I always succeed. anything but music.

I'm curious. Is it common for female aspies to be creative? To enjoy cooking, sewing, arts & crafts? Decorating? Doing hair and nails? Painting, or anything creative?

I do identify as a heterosexual female. I don't really have any hobbies. I enjoy reading, movies and LOVE researching stuff.

Am I an odd ball even in the aspie community? Are there any other aspie females who lack interests and hobbies?
You're not an oddball!! Though I am all imagination, I'm here to tell you all aspies are different.If you look at a chart of many aspies' brains you'll see there's many variations of neurodivercity.

My ex-girlfriend who is aspie often told me that she had no imagination. Mine is fertile and keeps me busy nearly everyday so it was always hard for me to understand. I wonder what it is like to not have an imagination. But we are all different and there were many things she could do that I could not at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom